• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sig books gets lenient scoring?

22 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181672447452?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not sure if it's just me or the photo, but the spine on this book looks like it has two creases on it's left side that IMO wouldn't get a 9.8.

I bought a X-Men Heroes for hope SS off ebay and noticed some flaws too but still has a 9.8. I'm wondering if this is something common when it comes to SS books.

SS books get the same grading as everything else. Sometimes a little looser or tighter than one side of the transaction may like. :)

As it relates to that particular book, pictures and scans pick up the metallic ink in such a way that flaws are emphasized, and the natural flow of the paper is made to look uber wavy. The book certainly is not perfect, but 9.8s aren't perfect. I have held multiple copies of this book slabbed and unslabbed, and it is a consistent effect.

From my experience guys who collect blue label slabs and guys who collect yellow label slabs have equal difficulty scoring. (thumbs u

http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/market-trends/cgc-standards/

You guys have not noticed it? The spine stress marks that I see in new CGC 9.8's are really surprising, that's why I created this tread. Anyway, IMO the link above is pretty credible.

I'm not going to say that grading does not go through cycles of tight/loose graded books (i believe it does); but you cannot post a link to someone else's opinion as a "credible source". If you believe a book is over graded show examples of why with your own arguments and supposition with scans. You are more likely to get a conversation going that way.

You guys have not noticed it? The spine stress marks that I see in new CGC 9.8's are really surprising, that's why I created this tread. Anyway, IMO the link above is pretty credible.

That article is 3 years old. Actually, CGC was soft 3 years ago, very soft, stupid soft. I think they are stricter now. IMO Stricter grading is better for the hobby.

One guy, a handful of books, his opinion on grade, no real data.....

i5mxf.jpg

The answer to this thread's question is a boisterous "Oh HELLLLL no."

I wish it were otherwise. I have a boatload of 9.6s that look realllllllllly nice.

I can beat that, I've got an SS 8.0 that I got back yesterday that I'm about to break down and get the notes for. It looks like a 9.6 or better to me....

SS books get the same grading as everything else. Sometimes a little looser or tighter than one side of the transaction may like. :)

As it relates to that particular book, pictures and scans pick up the metallic ink in such a way that flaws are emphasized, and the natural flow of the paper is made to look uber wavy. The book certainly is not perfect, but 9.8s aren't perfect. I have held multiple copies of this book slabbed and unslabbed, and it is a consistent effect.

Yep, same here - the book in the auction looks like a soft 9.8, but the waviness in the metallic area is a common production error on this book.

Whoa! Calm down, guys! Put down the pitch forks! I have a couple of 9.8's in my collection which has these spine flaws that I'm talking about. I'll post it at the end of the day.

7DC7BAAA-5500-4E1C-BE8C-84FEAF083C6A.jpg

DF38F0E1-6E1B-43C5-8E5A-A824FBB17267.jpg

B00299F7-4307-4334-A46B-A14B71852DE3.jpg

1660AC21-4E33-427B-ACCD-385E970C0FB1.jpg

95115DFA-6653-4BBC-92C2-EB852C7A7671.jpg

These are the books that I have and the original Ebay post are the books that made me start this thread. I'm not here bash CGC at all but i just want to know if you guys noticed any changes to CGC's grading. that's it. If you think it's "hogwash" then fine. that's your opinion.

95115DFA-6653-4BBC-92C2-EB852C7A7671.jpg

These are the books that I have and the original Ebay post are the books that made me start this thread. I'm not here bash CGC at all but i just want to know if you guys noticed any changes to CGC's grading. that's it. If you think it's "hogwash" then fine. that's your opinion.

Are you familiar with SCS?

I did a little more digging and found out that CGC has been a little more lenient on spine ticks with no color breaks. The 9.8's aint as good as past 9.8's,

This is the statement that is hogwash.