• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodnight Sweet Prince, COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE ENDS # 121

86 posts in this topic

I agree. Comic STRIP art may be what floats Cochran's boat but he certainly wasn't delivering what Comic BOOK fans wanted to see. I think he had to get all those Hal Foster, Milt Caniff, and Alex Raymond articles out of his system before he finally steered it in the direction of the Gary Carter days. I could sense it was turning around within the last year though so..it seems a shame.

I had a subscription from about Feb. 2003 to Feb. 2004. It mostly sucked IMO so I never renewed mu sub. Now with CBG sucking as well ('I'm letting my sub expire) I'll be 100% digital when it comes to comic book news and reviews.

Goodbye to a once great publication. I also loved the Michele Nolan ‘Do they exist’ columns. My fave article ever was the one on the DC Ashcans from a few years back. I also stopped getting it when the focus switched a little towards status and such like.

It would be good if they published the run on DVD at some point.

Regards Earl.

The biggest thrill I've ever had in this hobby/business (and I've been blessed with many) was seeing the cover to CBM # 71 sporting my copy of the Superman ashcan. Gary Carter and his wife were wonderful to work with and I truly enjoyed writing that piece.

I will miss this magazine dearly. Every month I would cringe at Russ' editorials and dismiss the articles on busts, statues, and newer stuff. I'd glance through the letters of comment hoping to see one from an artist or writer I admire. But then I'd find a gem from Michelle and it would be worth it all.

The last 3 issues' major feature of the impact of Jews on the comics industry was fascinating reading. I loved reading about the seminal events that shaped an industry that provided my livelihood for 25 years. And the Jon Berk Larson piece is still the standard by which all stories about old comic book collections should be measured.

It was inevitable that this magazine would perish, though. There just wasn't enough advertising or subs to keep it going. I've read every issue and have the entire collection (except for some issues in the teens that I loaned a friend and never got back mad.gif).

I'd like to thank Steve Geppi for continuing to publish it - even though it was obviously losing money for many years.

--Gary

It all started going downhill when I stopped contributing articles, so it's all my fault. Things haven't been the same since my piece on Gwen Stacy and the Punisher.

laugh.gif

Just the other day, I was re-reading the only issue of CBM I ever bought, a "Spider-Man Special" that came out the same time as the first movie.

Once again, I was marveling at how well-written those articles on Spidey were, when my eye caught the name of the writer of some of them: "Hey, that's that guy from the CGC forums with the orange name!"

Good job on those articles, Arnold. Especially the ones on the Spidey/Torch friendship, and the "Smoking Gun" about what really caused Gwen's death.

thumbsup2.gif

I haven't read it in a few years but when I used to get it regularly it was first rate. Great info about discovered collections and such(before the internet mind you), excellent articles. The issue about the discovery of the "Pay-Copy" of Marvel Comics #1 really sticks out in my mind, really good stuff.

I agree that the magazine hasn't been the same for quite a while. I still begrudgingly bought every issue up here in Alaska, but found myself reading very little, and just reviewing sales information and market reports. The standbye writers from the early years were always good, and on occasion the newer issues would have a decent article. This forum just let me know that I'm finally not going to have to buy anything from the local comc store any more. What was once a full evening of reading and re-reading became a quick perusal and then on the stack of other magazines near the bed. Heck, I'd even pick up a good woodworking magazine that tended to hold my interest more than reading about original comic art, toys, statues and frazetta for the 1000th time. I did just subscribe to the comic buyers guide magazine for the first time in many years, hopefully they can grab some of the better writers from CBM to introduce some golden age information into the mix. I'm giving the CBG a 1 year trial as they sent me a free copy. I'm sorry to see CBM end as my first issue was picked up at the 1994? San Diego Con. I think it was a paper cover giveaway of issue number 4 or 7?

What are we reading then.... confused-smiley-013.gif

No more CBM, Alter Ego sucks and no one seems to like the new and improved CBG. Please don't say Wizard....

I picked up an issue of "Back Issue" and it was phenomenal. It had a halloween theme, and it blew away the same month's issue of Alter Ego with the same theme. Haven't seen a new ish since, though.

Like everybody else here, I am sad but not surprised to see CBM coming to a close. Without Geppi bankrolling the magazine, I am sure that it would have ended a lot sooner.

My memories of CBM included waiting in anticpation for every one of the early paper cover issues and devouring every single word in the fanzine. Nothing could come close to those first 21 issues except possibly for the Pedigree issue in issue #31 or #32. Absolutely top notch stuff filled with tons of new information in the early days. Ever since the editorial change, however, I have found myself reading less and less and skimming more and more of the magazine.

Some of my favorite articles included such topics as:

1) Three issue Ultimate Pedigree (i.e. Edgar Church) run starting in issue #2 or #3

2) Relative scarcity and demand of Showcase Comics #1 -#40

3) The 50 rarest Golden Age comics of all time

4) The first 1,000 comics of all time

5) Scarcity and demand for DC GA titles such as Adventure, More Fun, Flash, GL

6) Sleepers column by Sean Linkenbach

7) in-depth profiles of GA creators such as Schomburg, Flessel, and Fine

8) Etc, etc, etc......

Okay, okay.......those first dozen or so issues were absolutely wonderful and will never be surpassed in my opinion. hail.gif

Maybe someone should scan all those great articles listed and make them available to those collecters that weren't on board when the magazine first started. Who's going to be the first board member with about 100 hours to spare and no concern for copyright or condition of their copies.

My request was a bit tongue in cheek if you didn't notice. It's a bit hard to show sarcasm with the written word. Why don't you post the best articles so we can all read them online. Maybe then I won't have to go through all my back issues.

Thanks...