• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodnight Sweet Prince, COMIC BOOK MARKETPLACE ENDS # 121

86 posts in this topic

Exactely what he said. I have been reading CBM since issue #2 up until #100. It was never the same when Russ took over. Carl Barks this, Donald Duck that...I mean really, who cares.

If you want a continuation of Gary Carter's style of CBM then I suggest Alter Ego by Roy Thomas. The latest issue, #44 deals w/ the JSA and All-Star Squadron with art by Jerry Ordway and Rich Buckler.

John

I've only read one or two issues of CBM, and both of them were issues from last year.

Are there any must-read articles in the back issues I should look for? The issues on restoration and the Bethlehem collection earlier in the thread look FASCINATING! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've only read one or two issues of CBM, and both of them were issues from last year.

Are there any must-read articles in the back issues I should look for? The issues on restoration and the Bethlehem collection earlier in the thread look FASCINATING! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That damnable price variant article by John McClure in CBM 55. [#@$%!!!]. Led me down the road to ruin.

Arnold- Talk to Jeff and the gang and see if GEmstone cam start selling CBM compilations. Much like the way TV shows sell their first full season on DVD now or kind of like a Marvel Masterworks. You could even sell new ads or include no ad pages so you would use less paper.

I am inspired to get Michael Naiman and Gary Carter on the Comic Zone to discuss the rise and fall of the CBM. What do you guys think? What are some other hot topics I should be discussing on the Zone? Any inspired thinking would be appreciated.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. I saw Million Dollar Baby-great movie-3rd act a little too long and very depressing. Could win best film of the year!

I would find these topics of interest:

- Get someone knowledgeable who can talk about the current newsstand distribution environment to include roadblocks and proposed solutions to increase circulation.

- Get the guys that produce the Overstreet Price Guide on so they can directly answer the questions we spend the better part of the year debating.

- Mark Evanier - the guy's a wealth of knowledge on the hobby and Jack Kirby in particular.

- Sal Buscema - time to give this artist some face time.

- Bug the hell out of Steve Ditko until he appears on your show... insane.gif

Jim

I am inspired to get Michael Naiman and Gary Carter on the Comic Zone to discuss the rise and fall of the CBM. What do you guys think?

I think it's an absolutely FANTASTIC idea. I find these boards or various dealer websites to be the best source for the type of content I'm seeing on the covers of some of these old CBMs, and I'm wondering why this type of magazine is mostly absent on the market today.

Arnold Blumberg--we really need the informative types of articles from the old CBMs in the Overstreet Price Review!!! If you could get that type of content married with what you guys currently do in OCPR, I'd be in comics heaven. cloud9.gif

I would find these topics of interest:

- Get someone knowledgeable who can talk about the current newsstand distribution environment to include roadblocks and proposed solutions to increase circulation.

Interesting.

- Get the guys that produce the Overstreet Price Guide on so they can directly answer the questions we spend the better part of the year debating.

They have been on and will be on right before the Guide hits!

- Mark Evanier - the guy's a wealth of knowledge on the hobby and Jack Kirby in particular.

Does anybody have contact info for me?

- Sal Buscema - time to give this artist some face time.

I had him - one of my highest rated shows-check the archives

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/archive.asp?aid=1860

- Bug the hell out of Steve Ditko until he appears on your show... insane.gif

I have been told by many who know him and that he simply won't do it. I am still trying...

Jim

My favorite CBM articles were one on Golden Age Batman appearances in Star-Spangled comics, and one about the Golden Age JSA crossovers in Silver Age JLA books. Don't have the authors or issue #'s at hand, but those two articles shaped some of my collecting parameters.

I too haven't enjoyed many articles of late. I quit buying it a year ago, but bought this month's issue as I was jonesin' for some bathroom reading on vintage comics. The market report was nice, but I couldn't stomach the rest.

Million Dollar Baby won at least two golden globes already for Eastwood and Swank...still have to see it

I would be happy to write for the "New" flagship title whatever it is - whatever Happened to Planet Collector?

Also lets make a CBM index or something?

Ditko would do an interview if you sweet talk him, Vinnie

peace out!

Just to clarify, I was actually referring to the comment fantasticfour made about combining articles in the CBM vein with information in the Price Review vein. Adding up to quite a few veins.

I'm surprised how often we see you around here. I thought you didn't even collect comics...if that's true, then to see you here on a Sunday night is AMAZING devotion to the job!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Or perhaps our company is just so compelling that you have to keep checking back to see what we'll say next? acclaim.gif

No I don't actively collect anymore, my collecting has moved entirely to DVDs and Doctor Who. But all my non-Gemstone work - book design for other companies, website design, etc. - keeps me online or at least near my computer at almost all times, so it's just the work of a few quick keystrokes to see what's up on the forum. And I have to admit, I've been on other message boards in the past, but this one has a nice crowd over all and it's always fun to pop in and participate.

Arnold