• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Project Comic Con (St. Louis) -- October 17-18, 2015

19 posts in this topic

I'm setting up both days for this show. Guests are a little weak this year, but as noted above, there will be substantially more comics here than at WW! Has had good crowds in the past, hope that the comic buyers come out in droves.

I’m setup and selling at Project Comic-Con again. This is my first show to sell at since Wizard Chicago almost 2 months ago.

I have been busy rebuilding my $2, $3 & $5 discounted books and I will have 23 long boxes of this with 18 of the boxes brand new and ready for the show. These are mostly 1940’s through 1980’s, heavy on Marvel & DC but also misc publishers. Lots of great bargains all sorted and in order. At Chicago I had 17 boxes of this type material and sold 11 boxes. These go quick.

Need key comics? I’ve picked up a few collections recently and I’ll be bringing the comics below.

Iron Man 1 CGC 9.4 old label

Avengers 4 CGC 7.0 old label

G.S. X-men 1 CGC 7.0

Raw Keys? Here are a few of what I have.

Adventure 267, 283 & 300

ASM 4, 13, 14, 40, 42, 50, 121 x 2, 122 x 2, 129 x 2, 194 x 3, 300 x 3

Olsen 134 x 3

GL 16, 40, 59, 76, 85, 87

Batman 227, 251,

Marvel Spotlight 5 x 3

Ghost Rider 1 x 3

Conan 1

WWBN 32

Strange Tales 126 x 3

DD 1, 7 x 2

FF 5, 12, 36, 45, 46 x 2, 48 x 3, 52 x 3

Det 359 x 3, 400, 411 x 2, 474 x 2,

Harley Quinn 1, & Mad Love

Star Wars #1’s raw & graded 9.2, 9.4, raw 42, 68 & 107

JIM 85, 112 x 3

Preacher 1

Sandman 1

New Mutants 98

Sorry but no 181’s or Batman Adv 12's! Lots more keys as well as 10 long boxes of quality Silver & Bronze Marvel & DC as well as 3 plus long boxes of 80’s to recent of better titles.

Leroy

Stopped by... Man was it slow...

Bought a Sub-Mariner #1, an Akira Blu-Ray, some resell variant stock from my friends at the Fantasy Books booth and a bunch of Bronze resell stock from Leory's booth. Barbara Canepa cancelled. Dang it.

My thoughts: they're going to have to get a George Perez type to be able to charge $25-$40 to get in the door (as they did 2 years ago when it was packed). The guests they had were great, but they need a heavy hitter to be able to get the crowd.

S. L. O. W. Had hoped for much better. Not a complete loss as I've done some buying at great prices, but tomorrow will have to be uncharacteristically strong for me to hit my sales goal.

What booth were you?

I managed a total of 4 hours between 2 days at this show. Leroy, Troy Neely and Graham Crackers had amazing books. Not sure how much they sold. I had bought less than $100 on Saturday, but made a couple of medium grabs on Sunday including a WD #1 and BA #12. Seemed like a steady stream of folks coming in. I think the space is too small. But a good variety of regional dealers and local guys. One booth didn't show back up to the show on Sunday by the time I left at 12:30, but their books were still there. Of course, they had sold a Batman #1 with just the back cover on Saturday. Maybe it was all pointless after that.

I did decent mainly because of my new $5 and under selection.

Attendance was way down from last show held in 2013. I agree if you charge $25 for 1 day ticket you need one heavy hitter guest. St Louis is hard to figure out as this is a great show and deserves to be attended. Hopefully he will have another next year and I'll be back if the dates don't conflict. I'm thinking $15 max admission price.

Few sales below

X-men 131 2 copies $30 each

DC comics presents 26 $80

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 $100

Det 359 $290

FF 10 $175

Harley #1 $180

Marvel Spot 5 $125

ASM 42 $50

ASM 24, 86, 88, 90, 115 & 143 $150

ASM 52 & 298 $50

The Bat 1 was PGX .3 missing front cover. Splash page looked like it might have been detached & Splash had heavy tape. With that company who knows if it even had centerfold. As Transplant stated he did not see them Sunday. They did show up finally after they attended church so you have to admire them for that. Very nice Father & Son team from southern MO.

I think I now know who Chuck Gower is. I'm terrible with names so he may have even introduced himself to me at some show in the past but I'm getting old. Great guy and he loves the Archie comics. (thumbs u

I had one dealer try and get me to give him a big discount on my cheap Spider-Man comics but I declined. When he came back an hour before the show was ending he tried one last time for the big discount and I pointed out the large stacks that were being pulled from those cheap boxes. I mentioned the guy who was buying them started at X-men and was working his way backwards and about to hit Amazing soon. He quickly got to the Amazing Spider-Man box and pulled out his stack and made his no additional discount purchase.

A dealer from Springfield MO. came to the show hoping to buy bulk amounts of comics for his store. He asked me if I would be willing to discount on bulk purchase and I told him I don't have anything like that.

I did instruct him to look in my cheap boxes because it was fresh inventory and already discounted greatly. After trying to explain to him I have $20 silver age guide comics priced at $5 and $10 guide comics priced at $2 & $3 he still had the mentality of I'm wanting to buy a lot so I want additional discount. I declined.

After he walked the show floor for couple hours he came back and bought 2+ long boxes at no discount after figuring out what I told him was true.

Always great to see my fellow St. Louis Cardinal buddy Transplant. OK I'll say it Go Cubs! :o

And this classic car below is owned by a very nice St Louis dealer. I doubt you will ever find a more cool way to haul inventory. (worship)

20151016_1658001_zpslu42ewgc.jpg

20151016_1657471_zpsgwimekki.jpg