• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A superhero movie finally wins an Oscar for best picture! Birdman!

24 posts in this topic

I was told a superhero movie would never win a Oscar for best picture!

Guess what?

Birdman wins best Oscar!

:whistle:

First mainstream loves superheroes at the boxoffice, and now the critics have gotten on the superhero band wagon!

It`s just going to keep getting better. Superheroes haven`t hit their peak yet!

:applause:

Guess what?

Birdman wins best Oscar!

First mainstream loves superheroes at the boxoffice, and now the critics have gotten on the superhero band wagon!

have you even seen this movie?

From IMDB: A washed up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

To call this a "superhero movie" is fatuous in the extreme.

Don't agree with me, then let's see what someone who should know something on the subject had to say: Alejandro Inarritu, the director of Birdman.

So how does Innaritu actually feel about superhero movies? Would he perhaps take one on in the future? Fat chance. In an interview with Deadline last night, the filmmaker railed against the genre, essentially calling it soulless and sounding not too different from Mike Shiner—Ed Norton's purist character, who also tears into the super hero movies and soulless paycheck gigs.

“I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn,” Inarritu explained. “The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters.”

“They have been poison, this cultural genocide,” he added. “Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and mess that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”

So how does Innaritu actually feel about superhero movies? Would he perhaps take one on in the future? Fat chance. In an interview with Deadline last night, the filmmaker railed against the genre, essentially calling it soulless and sounding not too different from Mike Shiner—Ed Norton's purist character, who also tears into the super hero movies and soulless paycheck gigs.

“I sometimes enjoy them because they are basic and simple and go well with popcorn,” Inarritu explained. “The problem is that sometimes they purport to be profound, based on some Greek mythological kind of thing. And they are honestly very right wing. I always see them as killing people because they do not believe in what you believe, or they are not being who you want them to be. I hate that, and don’t respond to those characters.”

“They have been poison, this cultural genocide,” he added. “Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and mess that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”

Are we sure this isn't Alan Moore?

Guess what?

Birdman wins best Oscar!

Birdman? Superhero movie?

thatssotrue_3749_1331166173.gif

Guess what?

Birdman wins best Oscar!

From IMDB: A washed up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

Don't agree with me, then let's see what someone who should know something on the subject had to say: Alejandro Inarritu, the director of Birdman.

I know of strectching it,but

He who once played an iconic superhero.

Innaritu kind of made a statement about superhero movies which means it`s an anti-superhero which means it`s a superhero movie!

An example is if I make an anti-Vietnam War movie, then it`s a Vietnam war movie, since it touches on the Vietnam War subject.

The lead actor Michael Keaton played Batman in the 1989 iconic movie that started all this super hero movie craze.

It`s called Birdman.

Anything called Birdman has to be a superhero movie!

:grin:

Not that money means anything, because it doesn't at all, but it's interesting to note the following total domestic box office gross:

Birdman: $37.8 million.

GOTG: $333 million.

I'm guessing but this is probably the root of the problem for Alejandro. Superhero movies are blowing his "human experience" movies out of the water and he doesn't like it.

Guess what?

Birdman wins best Oscar!

I know of strectching it,but

He who once played an iconic superhero.

Innaritu kind of made a statement about superhero movies which means it`s an anti-superhero which means it`s a superhero movie!

An example is if I make an anti-Vietnam War movie, then it`s a Vietnam war movie, since it touches on the Vietnam War subject.

The lead actor Michael Keaton played Batman in the 1989 iconic movie that started all this super hero movie craze.

It`s called Birdman.

Anything called Birdman has to be a superhero movie!

:grin:

i guess that's a No.

In further news, the estate of Burt Lancaster has filed suit in Los Angeles County against: Disney/Marvel Comics & TimeWarner/Warner Bros. seeking royalty payments dating back to 1962. A family spokesman said: "We've just come to realize that Mr. Lancaster started the superhero movie craze and should be adequately compensated for his contribution to the genre."

Not that money means anything, because it doesn't at all, but it's interesting to note the following total domestic box office gross:

I'm guessing but this is probably the root of the problem for Alejandro. Superhero movies are blowing his "human experience" movies out of the water and he doesn't like it.

I don't think it really matters to him - he understands the difference in the type of movies those are.

He more than doubled his production budget with the domestic gross, and was able to make the kind of movie he wanted.

I think this just proves that "movies about making movies and how hard and virtuous and noble the job of making movies is" win Oscars. Which we already knew.

But Big Hero 6 winning an Oscar? That one is straight legit.

Big Hero 6 winning an Oscar? That one is straight legit.

+1

Never saw it, but that's super cool.

It's cute & amusing for adults & kids. Good all-ages style movie if you just want fun. Similar in vibe to the Lego movie.

I don't think it really matters to him - he understands the difference in the type of movies those are.

He more than doubled his production budget with the domestic gross, and was able to make the kind of movie he wanted.

And, in any event, superhero movies are, honestly, very right wing.