• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Cleveland - Success Story!

26 posts in this topic

It seemed crazy to have a comic con in Cleveland in February but Wizard pulled off a huge show (and with a very thin line up of celebs). The show sold out on Saturday and Sunday on a weekend the outside temp was in the 20s with plenty of snow on the ground which made it tough for out of towners to get here.

I was able to get a dealer badge on Sunday so I spent most of the day looking at books and just enjoying being at a major con in my town. The hall was large but I'd say there was only 6 or 7 booths selling comics and I'd call Harley the only major dealer in the house. The aisles started to get cramped at around 1:00 but I was still able to walk right up and shake Rob Liefield's hand and tell him I really love his art. Neal Adams seemed to always be busy which is always good to see. Ron Ferz and Mike Golden didn't seem very busy when I walked by.

In term of books Harley had a booth crammed full of nice books but I stopped looking for any deals within a couple minutes. He definitely knows the market inside and out and his prices are definitely at the top edge of the market (some times way way top edge). Great guy to talk to and he definitely commands a lot of respect at the cons I've attended. The other comic booths had very little top end books on Sunday but I was able to find a huge selection of in demand books at great prices. Love me some local comic sellers.

I only took a few pictures since my cell phone really sucks in terms of pictures (especially if I zoom in). Even though my con report is pretty weak I'm hoping other people took much better pictures. Big thanks to Jason (YouChooseMe) for helping me get in and giving my first behind the booth experience.

IMG_1246_zpstxxhkcts.jpg

IMG_1245_zpslya6id2q.jpg

IMG_1242_zpszbqqck0x.jpg

IMG_1241_zps2y83apeu.jpg

IMG_1238_zpsnk25sgte.jpg

IMG_1237_zpsfbsugh0q.jpg

No one tell Harley I took a picture of his belly busting out of his shirt. He said he never gets a chance to come on the boards so he will not know.

Glad to hear it was pretty successful for a February show in the Mistake. I contemplated diverting myself north for a day on my way back from Louisville to Pittsburgh, but thought better of it & just wanted to get home after sitting in a dead-stop south of Columbus for about 90 minutes.

But I might try to hit it up next year since it'll be far enough away from Pittsburgh (date-wise) that I don't feel like I'm double-dipping too much. Hope it gets better weather next year.

Glad to see someone started a thread on this. I was considering starting one up with my crappy crowd shots lol

It was my first time attending any con and I went with my father on Saturday. We got there early and it got much busier as the day went on. I enjoyed just sort of wandering around without any real agenda and it was pretty neat seeing some names I recognized. I didn't think to take a picture, but I saw Lou Ferrigno wandering around in his signing pen early on. I don't really have much to add to what 1Cool said but it was nice seeing that many people show up even with the horrible weather. The roads were really dicey on Saturday but there still seemed to be a very sizable crowd.

Neal was absolutely busy all day and I didn't even think to bring anything for him to sign. My father has his OO copy of Superman 233 and it's very beat up but I think it would have been neat to get it signed and meet him briefly - maybe next year!

The live tattoo parlor in the middle of the floor was an interesting touch. Saw a lot of people getting comic related tattoos right there!

20150221_111439_zpsd5b34479.jpeg

20150221_1251240_zpsc1ca16a8.jpeg

20150221_131114_zpsf313b8b2.jpeg

I must have walked completely around the CGC booth - missed it. I'll take down that picture in a bit since it sounds like it may cause problems.

I had someone ask me what type of books were available at the Con. Here is the pictures of the books I ended up buying. There was definitely a lot more high end books and Harley booth was insane with hot books. Most of my purchases were from a couple booths which were having half off sales. My favorite buy of the Con was a Marvel Spotlight 32 in VFish for $15.

Comic%20Con%203_zpshyqaz6lo.jpg

Comic20Con204_zpsjms9mpev.jpg

Comic%20Con%202_zpscjmaaoik.jpg

ComicCon%201_zpsrotqmx6g.jpg

frankly it looks as big as anything NYC had in the 10 or so years between the early/mid 90s javitz shows (i think there were more than one) and the first NYCC in 2006 or 7(?), although carbonaro's big yearly shows during that period had more comic dealers and comics, but maybe fewer people

The line to have pictures with the celebs was crazy long considering the biggest stars on Sunday was Amy from Doctor Who and Hersel from Walking Dead. Shatner was there on Friday and Saturday but not on Sunday.

It looks like a real show. Congrats. Must be pent up demand in cleveland and surrounding areas. Much nicer than those depressing pics we get from the Buffalo show once a year.

:cry:

Ouch.

Reminds me one of the most unheralded comic con reports ever to be posted on these boards:

The 2013 Buffalo Comic Con report

The report captures the banality of comic collecting perfectly. It is brutal and harsh, lonely and sexless. It is a rare exploration of the dark, dimly-lit places where this hobby can sometimes take us. It deserves an award.

(worship)

Sorry for the diversion, we were talking about Cleveland.