• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brittle Pages

78 posts in this topic

How off putting is brittle pages to you? Would it be as bad if it were a from a pedigree collection? Just wanted to get some opinions.

I personally own a CGC pedigree issue with brittle pages and it doesn't bother, but not sure how I feel when you get into the 4 figure and above comics.

I personally own a CGC pedigree issue with brittle pages

So if your copy is entombed in plastic, why would the condition of the interior pages bother you, other than knowing about it?

Brittle BTW signifies Poor condition, unless CGC is re-writing the grading standards.

Yes, brittle bothers me, because I buy 'em to read, and ain't nothin' I like worse than to have a little pile of brittle chips left over after having read a book in that condition; just isn't practical.

I have several slightly brittle books most of which I read with no problems...obviously If I had a choice I would prefer them not to be but if the book is tough enough and is something i have sought for some time at the right price I'm not gonna hold back adding it to my collection. I didn't grow up paging through these GA stories so even if I have one with nice pages I will still treat it with upmost care

I have several slightly brittle books most of which I read with no problems...obviously If I had a choice I would prefer them not to be but if the book is tough enough and is something i have sought for some time at the right price I'm not gonna hold back adding it to my collection. I didn't grow up paging through these GA stories so even if I have one with nice pages I will still treat it with upmost care

Slightly brittle I can deal with. Sometimes means just a little flaking at a place on the spine or a corner. Brittle, though, usually means the book can't really be handled without being further damaged. Even if it's slabbed, that's a real problem for me.

Brittle pages are a part of life for us 1920's/30's comic strip collectors.

Always need to use the vacuum cleaner to pick up the brown "dandruff" after looking through old strips. :grin:

Yup. Some comics are only available brittle.

In the future nearly every book will be.

Beats trimmed in my opinion

I have 1 or 2 brittle or slightly brittly paged books. My Mask #1 is one of them. It's likely why I got it for what I did, and I'm happy to have it. I don't "like" either, but isn't trimming more resto? So if I had the options I'd take the one NOT restored.

It all depends on the particulars. O/W but slightly brittle pages aren't that big a deal as the brittleness is localized. I'd take them over browning pages that supposedly aren't brittle. The problem with slabbed books, is you don't know what "slightly brittle" actually means from book to book.

Raw books you have to be a little careful handling, but can still read and might be classified by CGC as SB/B I can live with ( you get a few of these when buying raw low grade books on ebay), books where pieces are flaking off with minor handling I really don't care for.

As for how it compares to trimming, I can live with minor trims that aren't automatically obvious, but chop jobs and multi-edge trimming are as bad as brittle pages.

Buying less expensive books, I try to avoid all the above, but buying raw, one does sometimes end up with some books that would probably classify as slightly brittle if slabbed.