• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You make the call.......

159 posts in this topic

I'm of the opinion that the shipper should not be held responsible for the post offices or any other delivery services malfunctions. Once the books are safely delivered to the delivery service, he has done his job.

Its a minority view, but its mine. If the buyer wants protection from the PO, then buy insurance.

But it is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the buyer receives what is purchased in the condition stated no?

Postal insurance is purchased by the seller to protect the seller. In fact, only the seller can make an insurance claim if something goes wrong. If the seller wants to charge the buyer for that insurance, that's fine, but it is the seller's responsibility to purchase the insurance.

Sellers offer the buyers the chance to insure their package against the hazards of the PO. If they decline, it's on them.

This part I would agree with. If a buyer starts dictating terms of delivery, then they would seem to absorb the responsibility.

I will say, I can't even fathom putting $300 worth of books in an envelope. I send stuff out in envelopes all the time, and my envelopes are very sturdy. It's just... well, I guess I would never even think that if I were buying $300 worth of books that they would arrive in an envelope. For that kind of money I just plain expect a box.

-slym

I'm of the opinion that the shipper should not be held responsible for the post offices or any other delivery services malfunctions. Once the books are safely delivered to the delivery service, he has done his job.

Its a minority view, but its mine. If the buyer wants protection from the PO, then buy insurance.

But it is the responsibility of the seller to make sure the buyer receives what is purchased in the condition stated no?

Postal insurance is purchased by the seller to protect the seller. In fact, only the seller can make an insurance claim if something goes wrong. If the seller wants to charge the buyer for that insurance, that's fine, but it is the seller's responsibility to purchase the insurance.

Sellers offer the buyers the chance to insure their package against the hazards of the PO. If they decline, it's on them.

I would tend to agree with that scenario; if it's stated upfront that insurance isn't included unless paid for. But, If I were purchasing $300 comics I would assume the seller would be putting insurance on it. I don't sell much, but even if I sell something for $100 I make sure I have that extra $50 insurance to cover myself if something were to happen. I consider it the price of the seller doing business. I know for people who sell frequently that would add up quickly, but you also avoid situations like the OP is in now.

If you sold a book at a show and handed it to a monkey to hand to the buyer and the monkey rips it in half. Too bad for the buyer?

Depends on the primate. Chimps make for a great delivery service. Baboons, not so much.

167907d1357870531-heathers-heavenly-vapes-big-thread-monkey-mailman.jpg

For $300 in books it should have been in a box. I struggle with that on cheaper books.

Do I spend $6 on a flat rate envelope or $9 for a priority box. Tough call when you charge $3.50 for shipping on a $20 book.

Charge exact shipping and always use a box.

+1

Who packs $300 in books in that way?

I don't have any sympathy for a seller who causes his own headaches like that. I'd send the books back in the same hillbilly packaging he sent them in, get my money back and move on. There's plenty of SA books for everyone.

So to recap:

Books are packed and shipped.

For all intent and purposes buyer almost witnesses PO jam package in the PO box.

8 of 9 PO reps claim this is unacceptable procedure. (The only one that claims it is OK is the one that did it).

This is the sellers fault.

(thumbs u

+1

I don't have any sympathy for a seller who causes his own headaches like that. I'd send the books back in the same hillbilly packaging he sent them in, get my money back and move on. There's plenty of SA books for everyone.

I take offense to this.

I would GLADLY accept packaging the way I ship them.

As I stated earlier, the package had to be bent over an object or knee.

So the buyer is too cheap to rent a PO box that can accommodate a flat envelope and he complains to the seller when his collectibles are manhandled? I think the buyer needs to take some responsibility.

My post office is out of larger boxes. Only smaller ones.

+1

I take offense to this.

But you are really asking for trouble shipping it that way. You have been on the forums long enough to know that most times, collectors prefer a box.

Insurance should only be for the seller. Not the buyer. Buyers have nothing to lose, paypal refund, chargeback whatever. Insurance should always be for the seller. Always.

Insurance should only be for the seller. Not the buyer. Buyers have nothing to lose, paypal refund, chargeback whatever. Insurance should always be for the seller. Always.

+1

The insurance of a package is done by the seller to cover his/her behind.

+1

I take offense to this.

Your packaging description: "packages the books in a poly bag, then in a USPS Priority tylex(?) envelope, sandwiched and taped between cardboard and inserted into a Flat rate Priority cardboard envelope."

Sorry that offends you. I pack $5 books with more materials than that. Then again, my philosophy is to make sure my packages can't be bent - which is why I used 4-8 pieces of cardboard. And anything over $75 or so gets a box.

2 pieces of cardboard can get you a Friday thread on Thursday, though.

If you sold a book at a show and handed it to a monkey to hand to the buyer and the monkey rips it in half. Too bad for the buyer?

Depends on the primate. Chimps make for a great delivery service. Baboons, not so much.

Thanks!

I let the Baboon know….. I hope he doesn't take it wrong.

pinkslip-1_zpswet6twq7.jpg

Thanks!

I let the Baboon know….. I hope he doesn't take it wrong.

pinkslip-1_zpswet6twq7.jpg

I bet he's cool with it.

Funny-pictures-baboon-butt-heart.jpg

For $300 in books it should have been in a box. I struggle with that on cheaper books.

Do I spend $6 on a flat rate envelope or $9 for a priority box. Tough call when you charge $3.50 for shipping on a $20 book.

Charge exact shipping and always use a box.

+1

:roflmao: