• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man #1 Platinum Club

23 posts in this topic

I'm kind of excited to finally have a copy of this book on the way. I've casually wanted to add one to my collection for a while, but never felt like spending the money on a higher grade copy. Last night I won the following on Comiclink for what I felt was a good price:

RAD49D642014924_142639.jpg

I did a search and did not find a club for this book, though I did find some older threads with information about it here and here.

I'm curious to know if this book is the first of the retailer incentives that have become so common. I know that X-Men #1 had some sort of special hologram that was sent to retailers, but not a different edition of the book like this one.

Anyway, post your copies!

I'm curious to know if this book is the first of the retailer incentives that have become so common.

Kind of...

It's a hard question to answer, because it depends on how you define "retailer incentive."

If you don't mind, please elaborate. I guess I erred some in calling this an "incentive", because I believe each retailer got one. So it was more of a reward than an incentive to purchase more copies (I don't think that was needed here!). But this is the first book I can think of with a limited additional "chase" cover produced. I'd appreciate the history lesson.

Great book. used to have 2 copies but sold them last year on ebay for $100 a piece. Also had the letters attached which adds to the value. There is also a more limited gold version that was sold at Walmart .

Here is some info on these books.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/Spider-Man1Variants.php

The estimated print run for the Platinum variant is around 10,000, with 7,000 given as gifts to retailers for making Spider-Man #1 "the most successful comic in history" and these were accompanied by a letter of thanks from Marvel

The Gold UPC variant or Wal-mart variant is thought to be rarer than the Platinum but also sought after in high grade

I'm kind of excited to finally have a copy of this book on the way. I've casually wanted to add one to my collection for a while, but never felt like spending the money on a higher grade copy. Last night I won the following on Comiclink for what I felt was a good price:

I did a search and did not find a club for this book, though I did find some older threads with information about it here and here.

I'm curious to know if this book is the first of the retailer incentives that have become so common. I know that X-Men #1 had some sort of special hologram that was sent to retailers, but not a different edition of the book like this one.

May someone elaborate on the bold text please

May someone elaborate on the bold text please

I'll have to find a scan of it, or make one (my brother has one in his show stock), but it was a hologram distributed to retailers. Of course now I'm questioning my memory, but that is what I'm recalling about this thing. I'm totally snowed in today, but as soon as I can get a hold of it I will scan it if someone doesn't come up with one first.

Edit: there are several of them on eBay, should have looked there first...

Nope; your memory is correct on X-Men #1.

Here is a link to MCS that gives some backstory -- and there is also a silver one:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=553571

"Gold Hologram. X-Men (1991) Promotional Hologram is a promotional item distributed in very limited quantities to comic book retailers based on their initial orders for the landmark 1991 X-Men series."

"Silver Hologram. X-Men (1991) Promotional Hologram is a promotional item distributed in very limited quantities to comic book retailers based on their initial orders for the landmark 1991 X-Men series."

"If I remember right, the silver were given to retailers for orders of 50 and gold were given for orders of 500."

xmenSPECIALhologram.jpg

x-men1hologram.jpg

That X-Men hologram was cool for back in the day. They should have found a way to make a full hologram fold out cover of X-Men #1. That would have easily trumped the platinum Spidey.

A gatefold hologram would crack pretty badly along the spine, I don't know how it would work in practice.

I'd have preferred that they did a platinum version of X-Men #1. I'd wager that it would have a broader collector base than the simple hologram they ended up doing.

There was only about 5 modern variants I wanted to get when I first got back into collecting a few years ago; and this was one of them. Always wanted a copy when I was a kid.

j5cy1f.jpg

:headbang: Nice! And now we have two members, so it can actually be a club.

I remember looking at this book in awe at my LCS all those years ago. They had it marked at something obscene (like $500).

I picked up my copy at one of the boardie swap meets we used to have. It's only an 8.5, but I was thrilled to get it. I'll try and get a photo of it so I can "join" the club.

Nope; your memory is correct on X-Men #1.

Here is a link to MCS that gives some backstory -- and there is also a silver one:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=553571

"Gold Hologram. X-Men (1991) Promotional Hologram is a promotional item distributed in very limited quantities to comic book retailers based on their initial orders for the landmark 1991 X-Men series."

"Silver Hologram. X-Men (1991) Promotional Hologram is a promotional item distributed in very limited quantities to comic book retailers based on their initial orders for the landmark 1991 X-Men series."

"If I remember right, the silver were given to retailers for orders of 50 and gold were given for orders of 500."

xmenSPECIALhologram.jpg

x-men1hologram.jpg

I was working at a comic store at the time, and this sounds about right. We gave the silvers away to our big customers, and the owner of the store kept the gold. I just got a gold in a comic collection.