• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent CLink - Avengers cover Sal vs John

8 posts in this topic

One of the interesting results I thought was the Avengers cover by JBuscema selling for 47,777. In particular in contrast with the Avengers 72 cover by SBuscema which sold on HA for 89,625 last year.

So I thought it might be interesting trying to "bridge" the two values.

Here are my thoughts. In general, based on equal content, quality and period, I think it is fair to say that John's work would command a premium over Sal's, say 33%. That would imply a price of 36,000 for a Sal Buscema Avengers cover comparable to John's cover recently sold. Here is how one could go back to the 89,625 for the Sal Buscema cover:

Add: better layout (more focused, central vintage point): +10,000

Add: cool villain (Scorpio), more interesting/popular story: +10,000

Add: Cap vs. no Cap: +5,000

Add: 2014 Avengers movie hype: +15,000

Add: 2014 better market for top end pieces: +13,000

There you go. I would be very interestied in people's thoughts. The comparison of these two covers provides interesting insights into what drives OA prices, I think.

Carlo

To me the variation was mainly due to more Avengers, better layout, an identifiable (albeit not major) villain, and the presence of Captain Marvel. Having Captain America helped as well. That being said, I still view the Av #72 result as largely aberrational.

Thanks for the feedback. I find interesting that people seem to think that Sal's and John's work from the same period stands on equal footing, so values depend only on the quality of the image. I would have thought John's art would always command a premium, everything else being equal. Being a big fan of Sal Buscema's work, I am quite happy about this!

Thanks for the feedback. I find interesting that people seem to think that Sal's and John's work from the same period stands on equal footing, so values depend only on the quality of the image. I would have thought John's art would always command a premium, everything else being equal. Being a big fan of Sal Buscema's work, I am quite happy about this!

You mean "some" people, correct? I put JB ahead of SB.

(tsk)