• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten ¢ent Plague

16 posts in this topic

I have a copy and it's a great read.

Two things struck me when I finished: 1) The wide range of censorship/ban attempts by schools, churches, and private citizens; 2) The incredible number of artists and writers that were thrown out of the business.

Great book explaining the history of those precode years. EC stories along with a lot of the other fly by night companies are covered. Another great read on this subject which includes reprinted stories from the comics is Four Color Fear by Sadowski and the Tales Too Terrible Too Tell fanzines.

I have a copy and it's a great read.

Two things struck me when I finished: 1) The wide range of censorship/ban attempts by schools, churches, and private citizens; 2) The incredible number of artists and writers that were thrown out of the business.

Schools,church's and private citizens are allowed to censor and or ban things. It's when governments do so that it becomes problematic.

Great book, by the way.

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago and have been reading ever since. Its a good book that deals with the history of comics and how people viewed them. Just like video games and other media that have been primarily aimed at kids,comics came under fire from those that wanted to blame them for the problems with kids. It also has a lot of background stories on how those comic greats like Will Eisner and Jack Kirby got into comics. Good stuff.