• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's VALIANT Comics Thread

289 posts in this topic

Newb question. I picked up Magnus #5-7 the other day, with the first Rai story. My copies do not have the trading card. I don't think they have the coupon either, I have to double check. How much does this affect the value? Does it matter if they have the coupon but not the trading card?

The cards were stapled into the book. There are 4 cards, but one of the cards is a coupon for Magnus #0.

I haven't seen a lot of difference in the prices between books with 3 cards (but not the coupon card) and books with no cards.

Both situations have traditionally been about 75% to 90% lower than the near mint price... so a $10 near mint book might be $1 to $2.50 if it's missing one of the cards or missing all of them.

I'd say there's no benefit in having Magnus #1 - #8 (the issues with the cards) slabbed if even one of the cards is missing.

From a reader standpoint, though, those books are still great for reading.

The cards were stapled into the book. There are 4 cards, but one of the cards is a coupon for Magnus #0.

I haven't seen a lot of difference in the prices between books with 3 cards (but not the coupon card) and books with no cards.

Both situations have traditionally been about 75% to 90% lower than the near mint price... so a $10 near mint book might be $1 to $2.50 if it's missing one of the cards or missing all of them.

I'd say there's no benefit in having Magnus #1 - #8 (the issues with the cards) slabbed if even one of the cards is missing.

From a reader standpoint, though, those books are still great for reading.

True, and there are difficulties with collecting in trades (or making available digitally) the stories from Magnus, Solar, and Turok that the other Valiant characters appeared in, so at least you have readers.

Valiant CGC census explosion this week: http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:Valiant:/label/all/variants/yes/census/150804/censusprior/150728/

463 new CGC slabs for Valiant books (2% increase in the 15-year CGC census in one week)

Biggest submission books:

Eternal Warrior #4 - 55 copies (45 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #1 - 35 copies (12 new 9.8)

Harbinger #1 - 34 copies (6 new 9.8)

Rai #0 - 31 copies (26 new 9.8)

Bloodshot #6 - 13 copies (12 new 9.8)

Rai #3 - 13 copies (9 new 9.8)

Shadowman #1 - 13 copies (5 new 9.8)

Magnus #5 - 12 copies (8 new 9.8)

Harbinger #1 QR Code Variant - 12 copies (zero new 9.8)

Archer & Armstrong #0 - 11 copies (6 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #4 - 11 copies (5 new 9.8)

Magnus #7 - 10 copies (4 new 9.8)

Rai #2 - 10 copies (6 new 9.8)

Rai #5 - 10 copies (2 new 9.8)

Solar #10 - 10 copies (zero new 9.8)

Rai #4 - 9 copies (1 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #1 QR Code Variant - 9 copies (4 new 9.8)

Valiant CGC census explosion this week: http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/publisher/:Valiant:/label/all/variants/yes/census/150804/censusprior/150728/

463 new CGC slabs for Valiant books (2% increase in the 15-year CGC census in one week)

That guy's a tough little bugger.

Any increases on Solar #3?

3 copies graded in the past week... 2 are 9.8 and 1 is 9.4.

Biggest submission books:

Eternal Warrior #4 - 55 copies (45 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #1 - 35 copies (12 new 9.8)

Harbinger #1 - 34 copies (6 new 9.8)

Rai #0 - 31 copies (26 new 9.8)

Bloodshot #6 - 13 copies (12 new 9.8)

Rai #3 - 13 copies (9 new 9.8)

Shadowman #1 - 13 copies (5 new 9.8)

Magnus #5 - 12 copies (8 new 9.8)

Harbinger #1 QR Code Variant - 12 copies (zero new 9.8)

Archer & Armstrong #0 - 11 copies (6 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #4 - 11 copies (5 new 9.8)

Magnus #7 - 10 copies (4 new 9.8)

Rai #2 - 10 copies (6 new 9.8)

Rai #5 - 10 copies (2 new 9.8)

Rai #4 - 9 copies (1 new 9.8)

X-O Manowar #1 QR Code Variant - 9 copies (4 new 9.8)

I submitted multiple copies of a bunch of these books. They were graded but in QC last I checked but I hope most of the 9.8s are mine. :wishluck:

I did get a bunch of 9.8s (if anyone's interested) and a few 9.6s and a 9.4 and a few 9.0s(!)

On the 9.8s I got:

2 Archer & Armstrong #8s

1 Bloodshot #1

10 Bloodshot #6s

1 Eternal Warrior #4

3 Harbinger 10s

3 Rai #0s

9 Shadowman #8s

Glad to see all the Valiant interest. You guys are making us proud over at Valiantfans.com.

Although it's driven by movie hype, it's nice to see people talking about VALIANT again. Now check out some of the new stuff, it's great!

Now check out some of the new stuff, it's great!

20 nominations for Harvey Awards this year, more than any other publisher, and Valiant is only 1% of the market.

Yep, I'd say a lot of comic readers are missing out... but the professionals in the industry have definitely been reading. lol

Glad to see all the Valiant interest. You guys are making us proud over at Valiantfans.com.

Although it's driven by movie hype, it's nice to see people talking about VALIANT again. Now check out some of the new stuff, it's great!

I would not necessarily say it is all movie hype, the new books are quite good.

I just wanted to finally collect all the pre unity books I couldn't afford/find during the 90's spike! Like the Harbingers, and the Rai's!

And I did yesterday take home the last 1st Appearance book I needed, X-O #1.

Writing is what made these books stand out in the 90's, and VEI is doing that, plus more today.

Glad to see them get some publicity.

I'm kicking myself for not picking up Harbinger 1 in CGC 9.8 for $290 before the movie announcement. I kept thinking the price would go lower since sales had been trending down. Now I'd gladly buy a Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8 for $290. Guess my CGC 9.4 will have to do for a while!

I know for a fact that number changed because I have one of those 9.8s and sold off the extra copy that I had.

I know for a fact that number changed because I have one of those 9.8s and sold off the extra copy that I had.

What number changed? We're just looking at the CGC census from the past week. Other copies could be graded earlier (or next week) which aren't in this one week with 3.

Since March 10th (last census before the DMG announcement), there have been 29 copies of Solar #3 graded, and 19 of those got CGC 9.8 grades.

What number changed? We're just looking at the CGC census from the past week. Other copies could be graded earlier (or next week) which aren't in this one week with 3.

Since March 10th (last census before the DMG announcement), there have been 29 copies of Solar #3 graded, and 19 of those got CGC 9.8 grades.

The days are long gone from when the only reason the 9.8 numbers moved on the census was because I had books moving through the pipeline!

Can I reminisce a bit? lol