• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's VALIANT Comics Thread

289 posts in this topic

I like saying the same of Ultaverse books. The only difference is I know they wont ever come back to what they once were. :baiting:

I'm not sure Ultraverse ever WAS anything... so there's a good chance they already ARE what they once were. :baiting:

(I have many of those too.)

We are just a dead universe that stayed dead. Some are still living as zombies pretending they are relevant. :baiting:

I still got my EW complete run its all I need.

But all kidding aside the Ultraverse had an interesting starting concept. I think they were dying before Marvel swallowed them though. Nowadays I just chase mirrors for fun.

This is going to be the place to be soon. Just wish I had picked up more books, they are drying up quick.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8444035&Main=372288#Post8444035

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8443165#Post8443165

Edited by Johnny U

The original Valiant line was a great read back in the day, when they first came out I was working for the main distributor and when they first arrived, people were not too excited about it but then the demand grew fairly quickly. We had some of the creators come through the warehouse to meet the retailers, I remember Bob Hall who was working on Shadowman was really nice, and Jim Shooter who was out for a store signing was incredibly kind. Loved the story Jim Lee shared about how he was asked to do the cover for Hard Corps #1 and did it in exchange for U2 concert tickets.

We would see endless amounts of the variants, which at the time were nowhere near like they are now, it was mostly retailer incentive variants, stores at the time weren't doing them, etc. Anything that was left over I generally managed to get a copy, and was sent a copy of the Archer & Armstrong Ale and Darque Brew. I ended up selling most of mine a few years after Unity came out but still kept a few Solar #1 and #10 issues signed by Shooter, which was one of my favorites.

I didn't pay much attention to the new Valiant line, but am hearing great things about them.

The original Valiant line was a great read back in the day, when they first came out I was working for the main distributor and when they first arrived, people were not too excited about it but then the demand grew fairly quickly. We had some of the creators come through the warehouse to meet the retailers, I remember Bob Hall who was working on Shadowman was really nice, and Jim Shooter who was out for a store signing was incredibly kind. Loved the story Jim Lee shared about how he was asked to do the cover for Hard Corps #1 and did it in exchange for U2 concert tickets.

We would see endless amounts of the variants, which at the time were nowhere near like they are now, it was mostly retailer incentive variants, stores at the time weren't doing them, etc. Anything that was left over I generally managed to get a copy, and was sent a copy of the Archer & Armstrong Ale and Darque Brew. I ended up selling most of mine a few years after Unity came out but still kept a few Solar #1 and #10 issues signed by Shooter, which was one of my favorites.

I didn't pay much attention to the new Valiant line, but am hearing great things about them.

They're good reads, especially anything by Van Lente or Kindt. Kindt is an outstanding writer.

Although not a key set of characters, I still enjoyed the stories as they developed over time to counter any super being that otherwise couldn't be taken out by traditional means.

uVwkKK3.jpg

I have/had the Armorines Gold but have no idea where it is. I was at a store signing sponsored by Valiant and they were giving away freebies during a quiz. The question was "how tall is Aric of Dacia?" and I stood there dumbfounded as person after person yelled out answers, close but no cigar. I was standing next to the guy and finally quietly said 6'5" and he gave me the comic. I didn't care about it one way or another and that was why I didn't answer right away, despite KNOWING I knew it, and probably why I cannot find the comic.

I have/had the Armorines Gold but have no idea where it is. I was at a store signing sponsored by Valiant and they were giving away freebies during a quiz. The question was "how tall is Aric of Dacia?" and I stood there dumbfounded as person after person yelled out answers, close but no cigar. I was standing next to the guy and finally quietly said 6'5" and he gave me the comic. I didn't care about it one way or another and that was why I didn't answer right away, despite KNOWING I knew it, and probably why I cannot find the comic.

Hah! The only "legit" Valiant Gold I own (as in, won as a giveaway) is also an Armorines Gold. It was during the Deathmate tour at my local comic shop, & I think it was Bernard Chang asking the questions. Basically, they were giving Golds to people who could name members of the H.A.R.D Corps beyond the basic four.

Forget who I said to win it, but my copy is double-signed, albeit pre-CGC.

Hah! The only "legit" Valiant Gold I own (as in, won as a giveaway) is also an Armorines Gold. It was during the Deathmate tour at my local comic shop, & I think it was Bernard Chang asking the questions. Basically, they were giving Golds to people who could name members of the H.A.R.D Corps beyond the basic four.

Forget who I said to win it, but my copy is double-signed, albeit pre-CGC.

Speaking of winning Valiant comic books.....way back in the days of when Wizard Magazine was popular, my brother and I quickly solved and sent in a Star Wars word puzzle thing (if memory serves correct) and we ended up being the winners of their Unity give away. I still have the congratulations letter from Wizard and a couple of the issues from the Unity set.

I would've much rather won some gold issues like you guys, but that wasn't the prize. I had to search hard back when they came out to get my hands on an Eternal Warrior 1 gold and a Rai 9 gold.

Does anyone have a checklist of any valiant books from the best few years that has a retro style variant cover? I have a seen a few but would like to collect them all. Love the original valiants, best comics from growing up.

Does anyone have a checklist of any valiant books from the best few years that has a retro style variant cover? I have a seen a few but would like to collect them all. Love the original valiants, best comics from growing up.

Valiant is calling those "throwback" covers.

I haven't updated the website in a long time, but there are 4 listed here: http://valiantfan.com/quickview/show/throw

Speaking of winning Valiant comic books.....way back in the days of when Wizard Magazine was popular, my brother and I quickly solved and sent in a Star Wars word puzzle thing (if memory serves correct) and we ended up being the winners of their Unity give away. I still have the congratulations letter from Wizard and a couple of the issues from the Unity set.

I would've much rather won some gold issues like you guys, but that wasn't the prize. I had to search hard back when they came out to get my hands on an Eternal Warrior 1 gold and a Rai 9 gold.

That letter from Wizard is probably more valuable to a Valiant collector than the books (even if they were gold).

There were very few official Valiant letters (or Valiant-sponsored letters like Wizard prizes) that survived,

so collectors generally pay a premium when they can get something that ties directly to the early Valiant offices.

I haven't updated the website in a long time, but there are 4 listed here: http://valiantfan.com/quickview/show/throw

(thumbs u

That letter from Wizard is probably more valuable to a Valiant collector than the books (even if they were gold).

There were very few official Valiant letters (or Valiant-sponsored letters like Wizard prizes) that survived,

so collectors generally pay a premium when they can get something that ties directly to the early Valiant offices.

Few that survived? I would think everyone who ever won would have kept their letters as a special prize. Then again, they might have been kids like me back then.....

Greg -- do you have a similar quick guide to the throwback covers that Acclaim did that one month? The one that comes to mind immediately is the Bloodshot. Vol. 2 issue that was an homage to Nick Fury # 1.

Greg -- do you have a similar quick guide to the throwback covers that Acclaim did that one month? The one that comes to mind immediately is the Bloodshot. Vol. 2 issue that was an homage to Nick Fury # 1.

I didn't know about these....sounds very cool!

Few that survived? I would think everyone who ever won would have kept their letters as a special prize. Then again, they might have been kids like me back then.....

Right, but did they print 100,000 letters? Because they printed 100,000 copies of books (on average). If there are even 200 letters, that's 1:500 ratio.

I believe it's November 1997.

bloodshot05.jpg

I don't have a quick list, but you can scroll down to November 1997 on this:

http://valiantfan.com/quickview/universe/2