• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have you ever got a free comic with your eBay win?

35 posts in this topic

I throw in reader copies of the same or similar titles when I sell expensive books. I have gotten a bunch of free stuff, however mostly drek that as others have said, serves as packing material.

However, about 8 years ago I bought a lot of books from a seller who didn't normally sell comics. They included a VF-ish copy of ASM #300!!!!

I pretty much always toss in something free when someone wins a book. When eBay allowed us to look back at what the person won/bid on, I tried to make it something they collected, now I just guess.

I mostly give them a book that didn't sell on here, just as a gift. I figure it's a nice thing to do.

Maybe I should rethink that...I'd hate to have someone spray painting my old Adventure comics, lol.

Well, there's a difference between drek & "stuff I just don't collect". I will not care about destroying drek. But stuff I just don't collect? I'll give it away or donate it or something.

LIke Tim said one never knows what is drek, I don't collect moderns and I know I've given away some decent ones, I don't really know all the modern titles. I bought boxes of tbooks years ago just to have freebies to add to purchases. Some of the books I bought for $1.00 that I've been giving away for years were later Marvels like the ones that are now hot because of movies. I did give away my Rocket Racoons;) and I still have a lot of bronze/copper Thors...but I have purchased magnets to save for bigger purchases here, etc.I've picked up some freebies at shows I give away, too...some are 12-15 years old now and collectible, like the Wonder Woman posters and the pins.

I've gotten some nice things as gifts. I read them and some I've saved. Someone sent me one of the 52 books once and I had to go and buy the whole years worth to keep up;) It was way different from the books I collect, but it opened up a new door for me and I enjoyed reading them

I'm not a dealer, it's just a hobby. for me. I'd much rather look for a freebie to add than actually pack the book;) it seems more personal.

I totally understand if you get something you don't collect as an extra if you give it to the next person. I think that's how "mystery boxes" were started here, lol.

Sometimes another book will make the package too big or put it over the weight allowed, that's probably the only time I don't add stuff.

I don't usually put in extras with my 1st Class shipments, but if my other parcels weigh 1/4 pound or more under the next pound weight limit, I will try to put something extra in there. It's always nice when it gets mentioned in my feedback, but that's a rarity.

-slym

I pretty much always toss in something free when someone wins a book. When eBay allowed us to look back at what the person won/bid on, I tried to make it something they collected, now I just guess.

I mostly give them a book that didn't sell on here, just as a gift. I figure it's a nice thing to do.

Maybe I should rethink that...I'd hate to have someone spray painting my old Adventure comics, lol.

Well, there's a difference between drek & "stuff I just don't collect". I will not care about destroying drek. But stuff I just don't collect? I'll give it away or donate it or something.

One man's drek is another man's treasure, or something like that.

And you never can tell whether drek will stay drek. I once gave away to a friend a book that we couldn't believe someone had actually bought off the newsstands. I wish I had that Night Nurse #1 back...

Well... certain drek is just drek. and always will be. Such as say something like Ravage 2099 #4 or something or in the case of the 1 book I got, Darker Image #1. Some books are just plain hopeless.

Hey, once again, Night Nurse #1. As I said, I owned this, read this, absolutely nothing about it made anyone 20 years ago think it would ever be worth anything - my 1995 guide lists it as $3 in NM, which was probably generous.

I've gotten over 30 free comics with an order once. I think what happened was the guy just didn't spend a whole lot of time counting the number of comics in his bulk sale. I paid for 80, got over 110.

One man's drek is another man's treasure, or something like that.

And you never can tell whether drek will stay drek. I once gave away to a friend a book that we couldn't believe someone had actually bought off the newsstands. I wish I had that Night Nurse #1 back...

Well... certain drek is just drek. and always will be. Such as say something like Ravage 2099 #4 or something or in the case of the 1 book I got, Darker Image #1. Some books are just plain hopeless.

Hey, once again, Night Nurse #1. As I said, I owned this, read this, absolutely nothing about it made anyone 20 years ago think it would ever be worth anything - my 1995 guide lists it as $3 in NM, which was probably generous.

Fair enough. I'll still maintain that certain books are just plain hopeless though & barely worth the electricity of the paper shredder to shred them (and have no chance of ever being worth that electricity). But something like Night Nurse or any #1 or anything with even the most nobody-of-character's 1st appearance or whatever. Those are books that I would consider "with potential". I guess it's just a judgment call, but one I'll sometimes make.

I accidentally threw in a HG fantasy masterpieces worth about $30 on a $17 order once.

Fair enough. I'll still maintain that certain books are just plain hopeless though & barely worth the electricity of the paper shredder to shred them (and have no chance of ever being worth that electricity). But something like Night Nurse or any #1 or anything with even the most nobody-of-character's 1st appearance or whatever. Those are books that I would consider "with potential". I guess it's just a judgment call, but one I'll sometimes make.

Just thought I'd point out that you called "any #1" as a book "with potential", where your example of an "always drek" was Darker Image #1.

(And Ravage 2099 #4 was apparently the first appearance of Ursell. ;) )

I bought a CGC 9.2 X-Men #101 for $200+ from a seller, and they threw in a couple of genuine dollar books.

I know you shouldn't look a "gift" in the mouth, but...$2 worth of books almost isn't worth the effort.

I almost always include freebies when selling comics on Ebay or here. Probably did include Darker Image #1 at one time or another. :whistle:

Current freebies are King Kong #1 with cover by Dave Stevens which I have about 3 longboxes of (not all NM but some may be) and other drek stuff that I have lots of.

I've also gotten some drek and not drek as freebies here and on Ebay. It's always nice to open the mail and have some free stuff.

I had a seller toss in a couple raw moderns because he felt bad about shipping late. The books were a Walking Dead #1 and Invincible #1. Years later, they both were graded 9.6 by CGC.

Ralph_Furley.gif

Just thought I'd point out that you called "any #1" as a book "with potential", where your example of an "always drek" was Darker Image #1.

(And Ravage 2099 #4 was apparently the first appearance of Ursell. ;) )

Oh, I realize the irony.