• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers Trailer - tweet to unlock

52 posts in this topic

As much as I'd like DC to have a fighting chance, I just have no idea how they catch up to the head start that the Avengers franchise now has.

The trailer was just awesome. Whedon has done it again.

I agree, and was thinking something very similar. Whedon and Marvel, through this Avengers franchise, is setting the bar really high, to the point that it's possibly leaving a few others slightly worried their highly anticipated films will underwhelm. Yes, I'm thinking J.J. Abrams.

As much as I'd like DC to have a fighting chance, I just have no idea how they catch up to the head start that the Avengers franchise now has.

I agree, and was thinking something very similar. Whedon and Marvel, through this Avengers franchise, is setting the bar really high, to the point that it's possibly leaving a few others slightly worried their highly anticipated films will underwhelm. Yes, I'm thinking J.J. Abrams.

Which, sadly, because of the way Hollywood thinks, means we will likely see attempts to copy things rather than understand how that bar gets set so high (namely, by staying true to THAT franchise & not trying to make it a different, also successful franchise) & emulating that part of it.

If DC could stay really true to their "gods among men" nature of their properties without resorting to "gritty", I think they'd be able to catch up in some ways. Only problem is that "gods among men" only stays relatable for the audience for so long before you've exhausted the movie-worthy stories & are left to wash-rinse-and-repeat by just throwing different characters in the story blender.

(I believe I've sufficiently mixed all the metaphors here... my work is done)

Yeah, that was worth the wait. A bit "quippy" for my taste in parts, but the action looks amazing and we've come to care about the characters, so it's all good!

Dan

every superhero i've known well are equipped to quickly quip.

Which, sadly, because of the way Hollywood thinks, means we will likely see attempts to copy things rather than understand how that bar gets set so high (namely, by staying true to THAT franchise & not trying to make it a different, also successful franchise) & emulating that part of it.

Unfortunately, that is a real possibility.

Feige seems to understand the Marvel universe well though, and they seem to be pushing for quality so as long as he's still around we should have quality stuff coming out.

@ CW - yup, I'd be shaking at the knees if I was the competition. What the competition needs to realize is that they can't rush it. They have to build it one step at a time. Hopefully Nolan understands this the way Feige does.

If DC could stay really true to their "gods among men" nature of their properties without resorting to "gritty", I think they'd be able to catch up in some ways. Only problem is that "gods among men" only stays relatable for the audience for so long before you've exhausted the movie-worthy stories & are left to wash-rinse-and-repeat by just throwing different characters in the story blender.

I don't see this happening unless DC's films start flopping. They have seemed to have staked out the dark and gritty side of comic films leaving the more comedic, quippy stuff to Marvel. Really the direction the two studios are going seems much different and it's good to have both takes on comic book movies.

I don't see this happening unless DC's films start flopping. They have seemed to have staked out the dark and gritty side of comic films leaving the more comedic, quippy stuff to Marvel. Really the direction the two studios are going seems much different and it's good to have both takes on comic book movies.

I'm not sure DC has resigned on the comedic, quippy stuff. I can't say I follow DC as closely as Marvel, but because of my kids, I've been watching a lot of DC's animations (JLA, Batman/Supes) and even the way LEGO has picked-up on it in their movies (LEGO JLA and LEGO Movie) leads me to believe they see the promise. I'm not sure why DC's direction is so different with their movies, but it's definitely evident they use the shtick with their animation, and they seem to do it well enough. The "rivalry" shtick between Supes and Batman quickly comes to mind - I quite like it.

I don't know. It'll depend on how BvS ends up. MoS was a financial success (to a degree) but a critical "meh". At least their first foray didn't exactly generate the kind of universal love that Marvel has for the majority of their movies thus far. Granted, DC has a significantly smaller sample size, but if you compare Iron Man to MoS in audience reception (ignoring the $$) for the start of a universe, Iron Man made people want the next one next week, while MoS made people go "well, it wasn't too bad" and not really salivate over the next installment. That kind of reception leads to diminishing returns over time or needing to up the ante just to get the same kind of $$ results (hence adding Batman immediately)

I mean, we'll see. But I don't see the DC "dark & gritty" thing being sustainable to the movie-going audience unless it's accompanied by "stick more heroes in it to get people to care enough to watch the next one". MoS wasn't as universally reviled as something like Spidey 3 or X-Men Last Stand, but it didn't even get the kind of luke-warm reception that IM 2 or Thor 2 did. I hope, for the continued prosperity of the superhero movie genre, that they improve quality in this one & make it a little more "fun" & a lot less dour.

MoS was a financial success (to a degree) but a critical "meh". At least their first foray didn't exactly generate the kind of universal love that Marvel has for the majority of their movies thus far.

How was Man of Steel not a strong financial hit, coming from a franchise that struggled for many years to find itself (where Marvel didn't have that mainstream baggage to shake off)?

The biggest challenge Warner/DC has created for itself is not having a larger universe linked together across common stories. Even the Batman trilogy would have been a smart move to link a larger universe, and they didn't do it because it wasn't something that dawned on them.

But Man of Steel was a financial hit. There is no arguing that.

lol

Now that's funny! Seriously Star Wars going to underwhelm??? Yep I see that... What was the count of the trailer views vs Avengers.

The kool aid is strong in this thread

lol

Now that's funny! Seriously Star Wars going to underwhelm??? Yep I see that... What was the count of the trailer views vs Avengers.

The kool aid is strong in this thread

Not sure where you're getting at, but you may want to avoid dunking your head in the kool aid. The chatter/buzz after the trailer was mostly underwhelming, and I saw more "comb the desert" meme's and racist banter than anything I'd consider flattering.

You're also talking about a fan base that needs to watch a movie, good or bad, 100 times to demonstrate their loyalty, so I take SW trailer views with a grain of salt. I'm also speaking as a Star Wars fan, and my comments stand.