• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Simonson artwork and other artists who don't sell their work

65 posts in this topic

I've heard Terry Austin still has much of his share of what he's worked on. All that Byrne, Marshall Rogers, etc. must be worth a fortune!

I completely forgot about Terry Austin. Oh man the treasure trove of work he must have. If he ever sells and I know that is a big IF that will definitely break some banks.

I've gone through it all, including the stuff he's collected himself.. It's gotta be the greatest artwork collection out there. So many key pages or key storylines. Amazing amazing stuff. My hands were shaking holding some of the pages & covers simply because of what they were.

Could you elaborate?

Yep, Simonson has almost all his artwork still. He doesn't really sell. The few pages and covers you've seen out there is what's out there. Most of the Thor run and covers reside with him and I doubt are going anywhere soon.

That's actually pretty nice. It means the art is still in one place, for the most part.

When he does go, or decides to sell it, it will be a spectacular event, barring the purported "Viking funeral."

I just picked this up. Super psyched. I got this for a great deal. Wondering what something like this would typically go for as there really isn't much to base it on.

image_3.jpeg

His FF run from this period is underrated. It didn't make much sense, but BOY was it pretty to look at.

Erik Larsen doesn't sell hardly any of his Savage Dragon art. I think maybe a few issues have ever been sold.

Did anyone ever do an inventory of what he lost in his house fire in '91?

No idea but I'm sure there's a blog or thread about that on the Internets.

As for not selling SAVAGE DRAGON art, he has a number of pieces on Albert Moy's page --

http://albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=415&Ti=Erik_Larsen

Erik Larsen doesn't sell hardly any of his Savage Dragon art. I think maybe a few issues have ever been sold.

His insurance agent? (shrug)

:jokealert:

Aside from them, of course. ;)

Wonder how this works for comic art if you are the artist? I've heard (so: rumor!) that an artist can only take loss of cost of materials, not replacement value, on a tax return. Does a (typical) homeowners policy payout in the same manner or..?

Wonder how this works for comic art if you are the artist? I've heard (so: rumor!) that an artist can only take loss of cost of materials, not replacement value, on a tax return. Does a (typical) homeowners policy payout in the same manner or..?

Seeing as how an insurance policy is a contract where the premium is based on the insured value, I'd think it's completely different than what the government is willing to give you a casualty loss deduction for.

Aside from them, of course. ;)

Just to clarify, I was referring only to the question who has the knowledge, seeing as how no one owes any accounting as to what art they kept and what happened to it.

Just try to find some CP Smith art. He has never sold any now he works digitally. I however have a page of sketches he gave me!

Yeah. A few issues.

For a series that has 213 issues, that's barely anything.

No idea but I'm sure there's a blog or thread about that on the Internets.

As for not selling SAVAGE DRAGON art, he has a number of pieces on Albert Moy's page --

http://albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=415&Ti=Erik_Larsen

WOW when did that come out it looks like very early CP

possibly the inker got pages thats why they entered the market