• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Overvalued Golden Age and Silver Age Books?

71 posts in this topic

FF 45 and 46 are ridiculously over valued at the moment, based on wishful thinking of a movie in 2019 (maybe).

FF 45 is one of the great FF covers...ever. so don't misinterpret my lack of enthusiasm based on the issue alone.

with that said, 45 has got to go down as one of the hallmarks of speculative, lemming-like and downright greed-driven harbingers of what this little hobby has become. watching the incredible, amazing and fantastic prices people are asking for this book is comedy and tragedy built into one episode. has nothing to do with the comic. it's all commerce now.

again, don't get me wrong. I always thought the Inhumans were among the coolest inventions ever from Marvel. [my first off-the-rack book was SS#18 by Kirby with the Inhumans...nuff said]

not to mention that it's fully 4 years from now that the studios are promising this. and, by the way, I would venture to say that less than 10% of the producers care anything whatsoever about the genesis or the 'sea change' if you will, of what the Inhumans represent.

it's about the $$$.

so, with that said. yes, movie speculation is on going. but not necessarily for the best of the hobby.

hm

Man, you said it. I've been saying it for a good bit........a movie, exciting as it may be, doesn't make FF45 any better than its been in the last 50 years. It's a GREAT book, with a GREAT cover, that introduces the Inhumans.

Again, I'm agreeing and saying that it's a great book, but the prices have gotten outta hand.

You guys are making it sound like FF 45 is different from any other runaway train movie speculation book. What about IM 55? Avengers 55? So many others. The initial speculative runup for Avengers 55 was absolutely insane. I remember 20 or 30 threads in the marketplace on these boards alone.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. I think it's a cool book and I own one, but I'll probably flip it and use that for part of a silver age key just because of the outlandish amount it's going for right now. But it's certainly not a unique book in the current landscape.

Because silver age keys aren't going for outlandish amounts.

FF 45 and 46 are ridiculously over valued at the moment, based on wishful thinking of a movie in 2019 (maybe).

FF 45 is one of the great FF covers...ever. so don't misinterpret my lack of enthusiasm based on the issue alone.

with that said, 45 has got to go down as one of the hallmarks of speculative, lemming-like and downright greed-driven harbingers of what this little hobby has become. watching the incredible, amazing and fantastic prices people are asking for this book is comedy and tragedy built into one episode. has nothing to do with the comic. it's all commerce now.

again, don't get me wrong. I always thought the Inhumans were among the coolest inventions ever from Marvel. [my first off-the-rack book was SS#18 by Kirby with the Inhumans...nuff said]

not to mention that it's fully 4 years from now that the studios are promising this. and, by the way, I would venture to say that less than 10% of the producers care anything whatsoever about the genesis or the 'sea change' if you will, of what the Inhumans represent.

it's about the $$$.

so, with that said. yes, movie speculation is on going. but not necessarily for the best of the hobby.

hm

Man, you said it. I've been saying it for a good bit........a movie, exciting as it may be, doesn't make FF45 any better than its been in the last 50 years. It's a GREAT book, with a GREAT cover, that introduces the Inhumans.

Again, I'm agreeing and saying that it's a great book, but the prices have gotten outta hand.

You guys are making it sound like FF 45 is different from any other runaway train movie speculation book. What about IM 55? Avengers 55? So many others. The initial speculative runup for Avengers 55 was absolutely insane. I remember 20 or 30 threads in the marketplace on these boards alone.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous. I think it's a cool book and I own one, but I'll probably flip it and use that for part of a silver age key just because of the outlandish amount it's going for right now. But it's certainly not a unique book in the current landscape.

We all have our idiosyncrasies.

it's about the $$$.

hm

FF 45 is not even a little like AV 55 and nothing like IM 55. Avengers 55 is the first full appearance of a third rate villain and IM 55 is a common BA book, and also the appearance of a villain, though a more popular one.

With Marvel pumping the Inhumans in its comic line, on TV and its upcoming series of Inhumans movies, the upside in the book should have been obvious under the current market dynamics of this hobby. Although most of that upside has probably been front loaded and the book is likely due for a cooling off period.

-J.

it's about the $$$.

hm

We all have our idiosyncrasies.

lol Touché.

:golfclap:

it's about the $$$.

hm

FF 45 is not even a little like AV 55 and nothing like IM 55. Avengers 55 is the first full appearance of a third rate villain and IM 55 is a common BA book, and also the appearance of a villain, though a more popular one.

With Marvel pumping the Inhumans in its comic line, on TV and its upcoming series of Inhumans movies, the upside in the book should have been obvious under the current market dynamics of this hobby. Although most of that upside has probably been front loaded and the book is likely due for a cooling off period.

-J.

I am not disparaging FF 45. I love the book and think its great., but no matter how much pumping a company does; it does not necessarily mean it will be accepted and a success. The movie is 4 years away a lot can happen in 4 years including the types of movies audiences want. Shield is not a runaway success. It is still on only as a vehicle for advertising.

I am not disparaging FF 45. I love the book and think its great., but no matter how much pumping a company does; it does not necessarily mean it will be accepted and a success. The movie is 4 years away a lot can happen in 4 years including the types of movies audiences want. Shield is not a runaway success. It is still on only as a vehicle for advertising.

I don't know if FF #45 is overvalued or not. But the long wait until the movie might even help the demand for the book. Prices on movie-related books seem to increase long before the film is ever released, then drop afterwards. I haven't looked at GPA for cold, hard numbers, but that's definitely the impression I've gotten over the years.

One thing I know about FF 45, I've always wanted an 8.5 or better, and since the early 2000's I've been consistently outbid every time I've chased one at auction....and I've always bid above FMV..... so the book has been popular long before the Movie Hype... but it's scooted out of my comfort zone at this point. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

overvalued IMO are early superboys , it seems dealers are always asking full guide and also sellers on on ebay,, I like superboy but not at full guide.

same with sugar and spike, sweet comic but the demand is not quite there for full guide asking price which is all I mostly see them selling for.

One thing I know about FF 45, I've always wanted an 8.5 or better, and since the early 2000's I've been consistently outbid every time I've chased one at auction....and I've always bid above FMV..... so the book has been popular long before the Movie Hype... but it's scooted out of my comfort zone at this point. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Inhumans could have been the biggest dud ever created, but I always looked at FF 45 as a classic Kirby FF cover.