• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CARtoons?

9 posts in this topic

Long ago, when I first moved to Los Angeles, I went into a tiny comics shop and saw a stack of huge OA. I believe this was before I'd bought any comic OA. I recognized the pages as being from CARtoons and Hot Rod Cartoons magazine (Petersen Publishing). The owner had been selling them for awhile, and these were the leftovers, I guess. He let me take the stack at $2/pg. I've posted one to CAF:

m5620LJn_0703152151371.jpg

I've never seen another piece of CARtoons OA that I can recall. I really got a kick out of the magazine as a kid, and some of the artists were quite good (and some were so terrible they were good, or at least very witty). Anyone else collect this art? I had the feeling that if I hadn't bought those remaining pages, they were about to be literally thrown away.

Lately Heritage has been auctioning Peterson pages. There are a few in tomorrow's (Sunday) auction. They mostly don't go for much, but more than $2 a page! Toth pages go in the high hundreds to low 4 figures, Russ Manning pages get a bit. I bought a Hi Mankin page for a couple hundred, which I am very pleased with.

Lately Heritage has been auctioning Peterson pages. There are a few in tomorrow's (Sunday) auction. They mostly don't go for much, but more than $2 a page! Toth pages go in the high hundreds to low 4 figures, Russ Manning pages get a bit. I bought a Hi Mankin page for a couple hundred, which I am very pleased with.

Thanks for pointing me at the Sunday Heritage auction. I'd missed that. Looking back at the few pieces that sold in previous Heritage auctions, it's clear they didn't even know who the pages were by most of the time, unless the pages were by someone who made their career in other venues (like Toth, Manning, etc). I can see why no one collects the pages by the regular CARtoons artists -- few even knows who they are, or what they did.

I'll have to photograph some of these pages and post them to CAF. They're too much trouble to scan and reconstruct in PS. The pages from the early '60s are more complex and interesting than the pages I see in the later pages I see in the Heritage auctions. Doubt they'll ever be worth much, but they're a nice piece of the history of comic art.

I LOVE CARtoons!

I collected those as a kid and I have to tell you...I'm EXTREMELY jealous, envious (and every other word you can find to fit the same general definition) of you for being able to get ANY original artwork from this series and especially for SOOOOO cheap!!

I'll gladly buy just one of those pages from you for a whopping $25!! How's that for return on investment??? =)

Let us know when you post them!

I will definitely post them, and hopefully a few others might be inspired to put similar art up on CAF. The pages are so huge that I'm not going to try any more scanning -- it's too much trouble. I'll just do photos and keep it easy.

I have the feeling a lot of that panel art is lost, but I can't believe there isn't a big stack of those beautiful covers somewhere.

I used to buy CARtoons and one other - Drag toons?- because of the crazy cars and drawings by artists with Rat Fink-like art.

I used to love drawing cars and motorcycles with big fat tires and monsters coming out of the top of them.

:)

T