• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel skipping SDCC????

39 posts in this topic

Just playing Devil's advocate here, does Marvel need SDCC anymore?

SDCC is a worldwide phenomenon. Marvel being absent from it would generate it's own headlines, but I fail to see the value in not being at SDCC - unless Marvel is going to make an attempt at creating their own "event" where they release information, promote new things, showcase their starts, etc.

It'd be hard to believe that Marvel would let all of their competitors overtake all the hype and discussion at SDCC and exclude themselves. That would be a pretty big mistake.

Just playing Devil's advocate here, does Marvel need SDCC anymore?

SDCC is a worldwide phenomenon. Marvel being absent from it would generate it's own headlines, but I fail to see the value in not being at SDCC - unless Marvel is going to make an attempt at creating their own "event" where they release information, promote new things, showcase their starts, etc.

It'd be hard to believe that Marvel would let all of their competitors overtake all the hype and discussion at SDCC and exclude themselves. That would be a pretty big mistake.

...it would not be their first mistake. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

There is no way this is accurate. Ant man releases a week after SDCC. Why on earth would they NOT go to SDCC to pimp the movie?

Ant-Man the movie and Ant-Man the comic are two different things, though. And it's being distributed by Disney Pictures, so they will certainly be there to pimp it up.

Who cares,I'll be skipping comic con this year too!

...you might as well....you already have 2 copies of every comic ever made :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That Phase 3 announcement event they held was a huge deal... bigger and better than anything they ever did at Comic Con... and it WASN'T at Comic Con. Maybe that caused a light to go off in someone's mind.

Doesn't mean that some of the stars won't be there or whatever, but the studio might have decided they are better off doing their own thing when and where they want to.

Since they've very recently proven it works.

Stinks if you're a CC attendee for sure, and I very much want to argue against it, but as I sit here it's hard not to see the logic in the concept of it.

Hasn't Marvel been practicing doing live podcast announcements, reveals and gatherings for a while now? Couldn't they still do those during Comic Con, without being there?

Try to suck up all the oxygen and create buzz just by being big, dramatic and exclusive?

Marvel doesn't necessarily NEED SDCC anymore. They can get all the signal boost they want out of social media, independent announcements/events and ABC broadcast TV. At SDCC, they'd be another voice in a sea of white noise with so many announcements and whatnot that things get lost in the air.

Maybe their publishing arm still could receive a boost from SDCC, but their studio arm doesn't need it when they can do their own thing during SDCC from the comfort of NYC & Hollywood at the same time & get just as much traction out of it, if not more.

Now there is the real headline!

I am on the fence for these big cons myself. Crowded to the point of claustrophobia, but only 20% of the tables dedicated to anything I am remotely interested in, which is old comic books.

Now there is the real headline!

I am on the fence for these big cons myself. Crowded to the point of claustrophobia, but only 20% of the tables dedicated to anything I am remotely interested in, which is old comic books.

+1

I want to go to a Con with my friends to just hang out and be with my buds. I'd probably never go by myself as large as they have gotten now.

Is there a some sort of split that maybe I'm unaware of? Maybe the movie branch won't go but Marvel writers and creators of Comics still may go? I was hopeful of an Avengers panel or something....

For those spouting the "who cares"-nonsense, has anyone stopped to consider how many comic book creators Marvel usually brings to this show? The abundance of talent available for signings, panels, etc is what makes SDCC awesome - I, for one, seriously hopes this isn't true.

For those spouting the "who cares"-nonsense, has anyone stopped to consider how many comic book creators Marvel usually brings to this show? The abundance of talent available for signings, panels, etc is what makes SDCC awesome - I, for one, seriously hopes this isn't true.

Wait, are we talking about Marvel Comics or Marvel Studios?

SDCC is a big expensive event... what is the point? Will it really raise awareness of the films? I don't think so... I'm pretty sure they could stop spending advertising money right now and they'd make a billion dollars.

That may not be the case going forward, but I don't think they need any help right now.

As far as the 'comic' side of things, SDCC stopped focusing on comics a good while ago from everything I hear and read. Maybe Marvel can spend some of that SDCC budget on having an official presence at some smaller (actual) comic cons.

SDCC is a big expensive event... what is the point? Will it really raise awareness of the films? I don't think so... I'm pretty sure they could stop spending advertising money right now and they'd make a billion dollars.

That may not be the case going forward, but I don't think they need any help right now.

As far as the 'comic' side of things, SDCC stopped focusing on comics a good while ago from everything I hear and read. Maybe Marvel can spend some of that SDCC budget on having an official presence at some smaller (actual) comic cons.

That's not true at all.