• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Downey Jr. Delivers a Real Bionic Arm

23 posts in this topic

Marvel actually just had the foresight to seed select members of the public with artificially engineered seed a few decades ago & then let them grow into actual superheroes. Some of them couldn't quite cope with the weight of that & took a while to reach their potential, but they're all actually just biologically engineered superheroes in the real world.

Why do you think Tony Stark/RDJ had his rehab issues?

Why did Chris Evens/Steve Rogers just keep taking roles in comic book movies until he became Captain America?

Why did Chris Pratt go from slacker actor to hero?

Their lives literally parallel their character arcs.

(If Disney owned them 40 years ago, I actually would not put this past them)

Great story... but that kid has already been fitted with test robotic arms in other videos.

(It's not his first arm and you probably need training to get the fingers to work correctly.)

(Hence his reaction/non-reaction not only to RDJ but also to the arm itself.)

One other thing I've noticed: Disney/Marvel deserve some kudos too. When the actors go on these visits they obviously have been given access to the actual movie items. Chris Evans was obviously wearing an actual Cap suit from the movies for his recent hospital visit.

So good!

I think an important part of this is that because of the popularity of Iron Man these types of prosthetics are allowing kids to feel much more comfortable having them (especially around other kids who in the past might have made fun of such things), even feeling cool and cutting edge.

So good!

I think an important part of this is that because of the popularity of Iron Man these types of prosthetics are allowing kids to feel much more comfortable having them (especially around other kids who in the past might have made fun of such things), even feeling cool and cutting edge.

Certainly.

That was the point of RDJ's visit with the young man. Building self esteem in the face of adversity.

Most people, particularly kids, don't like being different - especially when that difference is the result of a "birth defect".

Even a child understands the implications of that label.

"DEFECT"

- "a physical problem that causes something to be less valuable, effective, healthy, etc."

- "something that causes weakness or failure"

Not exactly an esteem builder for those who need it most, IMHO.

So good!

Certainly.

That was the point of RDJ's visit with the young man. Building self esteem in the face of adversity.

Most people, particularly kids, don't like being different - especially when that difference is the result of a "birth defect".

"DEFECT"

- "a physical problem that causes something to be less valuable, effective, healthy, etc."

Nope but not exactly a lie either.

How would you describe it

So good!

Certainly.

"DEFECT"

Nope but not exactly a lie either.

How would you describe it

I didn't say, or attempt to infer, that it was a lie.

There was no agenda or hidden motive in my statement.

I was merely expressing an unfortunate repercussion of the term birth defect, and the negative undertones that the term carries.

I pointed this out in context as to one of the reasons why RDJ visited the child and said what he said.

Secondly, I would describe it as an unfortunate reality - one that can bring out the best, or sometimes the worst, in people.

That's all.