• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Irwin Hasen has passed away.

20 posts in this topic

:sorry: ....he was a cool old guy. R.I.P.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

When we were growing up, my brother and I used to hate the comic strip Dondi, so of course years later I met Irwin Hasen at a con and bought a signed Dondi sketch and gave it to my brother as a joke gift.

Sorry to hear about his passing. He was a nice guy.

He was a teacher of mine at Art School..... and he was obviously much more proud of Dondi.... and I never told him that I had never even heard of Dondi. He was a favorite teacher, and I guess Dondi just wasn't carried by the local paper where I came from. GOD BLESS...

He was a teacher of mine at Art School..... and he was obviously much more proud of Dondi.... and I never told him that I had never even heard of Dondi. He was a favorite teacher, and I guess Dondi just wasn't carried by the local paper where I came from. GOD BLESS...

Wow. How neat is that? :D

He was a teacher of mine at Art School . . . and I never told him that I had never even heard of Dondi.

Did Dondi not run in the papers where you lived? I remember reading that strip occasionally, but Wikipedia says it stopped running in '86, when I was 12. I suppose most people under 40 wouldn't be familiar with it.

I hadn't realized Hasen was still alive, but I'm sorry to hear of his death. There can't be many GA-era artists left.

He was a teacher of mine at Art School . . . and I never told him that I had never even heard of Dondi.

Did Dondi not run in the papers where you lived? I remember reading that strip occasionally, but Wikipedia says it stopped running in '86, when I was 12. I suppose most people under 40 wouldn't be familiar with it.

I hadn't realized Hasen was still alive, but I'm sorry to hear of his death. There can't be many GA-era artists left.

Found this photo from the 2007 con.

4579819639_bfd3edc188_o.jpg

...as popular as the strip seems to have been, it may have been in the evening paper which we didn't get. GOD BLESS...

...as popular as the strip seems to have been, it may have been in the evening paper which we didn't get. GOD BLESS...

I enjoyed reading the strip about the war orphan, Dondi.

16186280653_3b8a4dc009_b.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater-arts/dondi-creator-irwin-hasen-dead-article-1.2148313

This NY Daily News article, has an interesting comment from Michael Uslan... that Hasen was the last surviving DC artist from the WW II / "early" golden age era. The end of an era, as he says.

My first reaction was to be skeptical of that, but upon reflection I can't think of anyone. :(

Then I thought that there must be some post-WWII artists who still caught the tail end of the 1940s, and there might be, but even those are all but gone. First person who came to mind there was Kubert of course, now gone, and Infantino, now gone.

I suppose that day has been coming for quite some time, we've lost many in the past few years alone, and with DC's 75th upon us that was inevitable, but losing all of the first-person connections with Golden Age DC does feel weird now that we're essentially there.

Found this photo from the 2007 con.

4579819639_bfd3edc188_o.jpg

It's caught my eye many times that several golden age comic book artists stayed VERY sharp well into their 90s... doing cons and still capable of very solid art.

I always think of Creig Flessel as the textbook example of this, he was still doing great commissions well into his 90s.

There must be a lesson in there somewhere... if you want to stay mentally sharp into your older days, take up drawing... or something. hm