• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backlash over this Batgirl Joker variant cover

405 posts in this topic

It seems pretty obvious to me that people have issues with this cover because of the history between the characters from The Killing Joke. If you see these characters together in any context, much less this context, it's the first thing everyone is going to think of.

I haven't read any of the articles or threads about this cover, but I don't think you have to be a "bleeding heart" to make the obvious connection between this cover and Killing Joke. You just have to be a comics fan.

Not to send more people to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person's rant, but here it is: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/14/so-how-inappropriate-is-the-batgirl-41-joker-variant-cover/

His vajayjay is all twisted in knots because he sees it as degrading to the female empowerment movement. I doubt he's ever read the Killing Joke anyway, he strikes me as more of a Planet type

Very cool cover. I am going to have to pick a few copies up.......

Ditto that! And I think it's time to read the Killing Joke again!

It seems pretty obvious to me that people have issues with this cover because of the history between the characters from The Killing Joke. If you see these characters together in any context, much less this context, it's the first thing everyone is going to think of.

I haven't read any of the articles or threads about this cover, but I don't think you have to be a "bleeding heart" to make the obvious connection between this cover and Killing Joke. You just have to be a comics fan.

Not to send more people to the insufficiently_thoughtful_person's rant, but here it is: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/14/so-how-inappropriate-is-the-batgirl-41-joker-variant-cover/

His vajayjay is all twisted in knots because he sees it as degrading to the female empowerment movement. I doubt he's ever read the Killing Joke anyway, he strikes me as more of a Planet type

Well, he specifically references Killing Joke in the story.

Look, some of his points are flat out silly - the thing about the gun pointing down being some kind of sexual reference is just bizarre.

But I do find the cover to be in poor taste given what I know about it. According to the article, this is a variant cover for "Joker month," and therefore the image has nothing to do with the story. So they are purposefully referencing the events of Killing Joke in order to market this to Joker and Killing Joke fans. "Hey, remember that story where Joker physically and mentally tortured Batgirl? If you loved that, you'll love this special cover celebrating it!" Sorry, that's creepy and weird.

The image itself I find a little iffy given the history between the characters, but if there was a story context for it, you know, whatever. But if the context is just trying to excite Killing Joke fans... no thanks.

Yeah the cover isn't mysogyistic but your response sure is.

Look, some of his points are flat out silly - the thing about the gun pointing down being some kind of sexual reference is just bizarre.

But I do find the cover to be in poor taste given what I know about it. According to the article, this is a variant cover for "Joker month," and therefore the image has nothing to do with the story. So they are purposefully referencing the events of Killing Joke in order to market this to Joker and Killing Joke fans. "Hey, remember that story where Joker physically and mentally tortured Batgirl? If you loved that, you'll love this special cover celebrating it!" Sorry, that's creepy and weird.

The image itself I find a little iffy given the history between the characters, but if there was a story context for it, you know, whatever. But if the context is just trying to excite Killing Joke fans... no thanks.

How often do covers have anything to do with the story at all? Especially variant covers?

And how do you do a variant cover celebrating the history of the Joker relating to Batgirl without referencing the Killing Joke? Next we'll manage to tell the origin story of Batman without mentioning the death of his parents, because some people lost their parents as kids and that could trigger an emotional response from them. :facepalm:

This is just a case of the PC police with too much time finding the next non-story to get upset about. These people really need to get away from anything remotely artistic and focus their energies elsewhere. Oh damn, a piece of art gave me an emotional reaction. How dare that artist! You want safe, boring art go buy a Skottie Young cover.

If you're going to throw your "isms" out there, at least spell 'em right

If you're going to throw your "isms" out there, at least spell 'em right

Awesome argument, dude. You win.

Much ado about nothing.

Fictional storytelling depends on interpersonal tension and conflict, and that is often generated by violence and crime. Eliminate violent tropes and themes, and you eliminate a fair amount of story generation.

I didn't see the author of 'The Lovely Bones' being excoriated for the inciting incident in her story. So why here? Are we still of the subconscious notion that comics are for kids?

Odds are they probably feel as bad as you do about it.

Who is this guy that writes articles that assume so much? I absolutely love this cover on so many levels. It would be a travesty to pull it. Comic covers that convey such emotion are a huge part of why I love this hobby.

Odds are they probably feel as bad as you do about it.

Who is this guy that writes articles that assume so much? I absolutely love this cover on so many levels. It would be a travesty to pull it. Comic covers that convey such emotion are a huge part of why I love this hobby.

Yeah, this is the best cover out of all of them by far. I'm not sure how I feel about that jim Lee one yet...

How often do covers have anything to do with the story at all? Especially variant covers?

And how do you do a variant cover celebrating the history of the Joker relating to Batgirl without referencing the Killing Joke? Next we'll manage to tell the origin story of Batman without mentioning the death of his parents, because some people lost their parents as kids and that could trigger an emotional response from them. :facepalm:

This is just a case of the PC police with too much time finding the next non-story to get upset about. These people really need to get away from anything remotely artistic and focus their energies elsewhere. Oh damn, a piece of art gave me an emotional reaction. How dare that artist! You want safe, boring art go buy a Skottie Young cover.

Well said.

Well said.

+1

The Killing Joke shows just how evil and dangerous the Joker is and that allows for both Batman and Batgirl/Oracle to shine as heroes later down the road. The cover is a nod to a great story told by one of comics' greatest writers. It was designed to make you both fear the Joker and to make us a little uncomfortable. I'd say it worked perfectly.