• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw books for TRIPLE guide!!! WTF?

39 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I don't get it either, from the scans not a lot of the books are NM. Yet, Steve has bought off him before and is satisfied. I dunno whats a CGC 9.0 go for -I guess I could check my own GPA account brb .... 4_12_5.gif

Well this is one of those books with very few sales listed. The most recent an 8.0 for $140 in March of 2003 - almost 2 years ago. Above that its the Pacific Coast in June of this year for 1700.

So maybe a 9.0 is worth that kind of money with the scarcity of copies out there, or at least currently graded ones. Still whats key about this issue?? Not a B AND B collector.

Comparing that book to the PC copy is like apples and oranges, as I'm sure you're aware. There is moderate to little demand for Brave And The Bold 50, unless it's a pedigree (and even then it'd have to be at least 9.4). That book is definitely not better than 9.0 judging from the scan, which in the guide is $200 - so I'd've expected it to get around that figure, if not less. The scarcity of this book in 9.0 is irrelevant.

So go figure.

screwy.gif

Who released you into the community, gobe???

sorry.gif Take my $$ and throw me to the curb! sumo.gif

I was a bit harsh, there. I keed, I keed.................

No I was actually quoting GPA for 50. Just illustrating that there are not a lot of sales. None doc'd in 9.4. And yep I agree comparing this to the Pac C copy is nuts. I was just wondering if BB 50 was one of those tough for just some unknown reason books, trying to shed light on the triple OS guide price.

I know some people harp on these threads, like "why are you trashing a book, or its selling price." I do not think thats the case a lot of times we are just trying to understand. I know that I do not know the ins and outs of every title. But I do know a few, like on the Horror thread people have from time to time asked about certain books and others provide expertise on why this or that book sold for a lot. A perfect example is the 100 pagers, tough to get in HG unless your name happens to be Greggy and you realised this in advance of other people, or Bats 238 which is a book that appeals to many different audiences and is the sleeper in the early Bats 200s.

Anyway just trying to get an opinion on any special circumstances surrounding this book and Dust says there isn't, thats good enough for me.

OS does state that #50 was the issue where team-ups began in this title, and that it was the first appearance of the Martian Manhunter outside Detective Comics.

Which isn't really a big deal, when you consider that the cover is average, and the two characters were the dullest that the Silver Age had to offer (this was featuring the pre-O' Neill and Adams version of GA). I don't recall anyone asking for this book specifically, either. A lot of those mid '60s DCs are tough to sell in most grades.....................

This guy's books all seem to be from the same collection as they all seem to have the same tanning on the edges....HARD sell at NM, I'd say. screwy.gif

Thanks for your input here gentlemen. I am already in "conversation" about these auctions. I think whoever this other bidder is B.S. It certainly has all the details of someone jerking around. 7 feedback since 2002? No bids in over a year, private feedback, etc. I am not going to pay the prices of the books as they are now. He the seller can certainly leave me negative feedback. I suggested he contact this other bidder and offer him the books. I tried canceling my bids but I was out of the office most of the day and when I saw what was going on It was to late. I had put some ridiculous bids in just to test what was going on. This person kept bidding up and up. I suspect he would have jumped the reserves then retracted his bids.

Oh, and I am pretty impressed you can see spine stress from the scans. Most of the books he has sold have none at all.

Steve R

I guess the lesson here is not to put in a potentially wacky bid in the hope that nobody jacks it up all the way. Next time it may not be fishy looking -- you may have a really motivated bidder or a third party wanting to test your limits.

Darn. I was about to dig up my extension collection of B&Bs to find the ones that will look good in a small scan.

Oh, and I am pretty impressed you can see spine stress from the scans. Most of the books he has sold have none at all.

Steve R

Steve, if you've purchased from this seller before, why do you think he would suddenly enlist a shill bidder and try to jack you around?

I truly believe that the seller has nothing to do with it. I am trying to figure out why the bidder was so involved. I spoke with the seller and seemed like a nice guy. Plus this bidder NEVER purchased anything from him before. Myself and most of the other guys bidding on these books paid him right away and he liked that. Maybe this person will be "real" and buy the books. BUT if he is not revolution-comics as the email said, then he is using Lordrahls name also.

Steve

You have just got to love those people that keep their "feedback" private.

I'll never place two bids in a row after seeing your auction results.

Go get em rube 11. I won't look down on you for the negs that you are likely to receive.

Like I said before, I was going to retract the bids and it ended up being to late. The bids I entered had a decimal in the wrong spot but I really didn't have the time to fix them at that moment.

confused.gif You kept bumping the bid up...and how long does it take to fix a bid anyway?

Jim

Wow this is a thread that has enough potential conspiracy for EVERYONE!!!!!!

i had a lot to say but will instead just forego my comments and watch how this turns out.

finding it very hard to keep quiet.................... devil.gif

i had a lot to say but will instead just forego my comments and watch how this turns out.

Spill the beans!!!! (a PM would be okay, too).

Spill the beans!!!! (a PM would be okay, too).

sorry - didn't mean to imply that i KNOW anything!!!

this just all seems very confusing and convoluted.

the books have been relisted already in a new 5 day auction. i think i would have handled this a bit differently if i were the seller. but, he seems to be a good guy for letting this all go by................. thumbsup2.gif