• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which One Non-Pedigree Book Would You Pay Multiples of Guide For?

19 posts in this topic

To make this a little more interesting, the book cannot be graded higher than 8.5 and it can't be from an Edgar Church or any other pedigree.

I'll start. Since for the past year or so I've been trying to put together a nice CGC graded good girl art collection (over 100), I'm still in search of a few books in VG/FN to VF/NM condition. I'm obviously trying to purchase Phantom Lady #17, but since that book is already highly priced in the OS guide, I can probably get it for 1.5X guide in mid grade. The one book that I'm willing to pay 3X guide for, and that hardly ever shows up for sale (in mid to HG) is Blue Beetle #54. There's an 8.5 CGC graded copy on Comiclink, but it's currently listed at about 5X guide.

How about the rest of you? The OS guide value has to be at least $300 for any given grade (less than 9.0), and you'd be willing to pay at least 3 times that price.

Assuming I had the money (which I certainly don't) I would pay over guide for Mask 1 and 2. Those 2 issues have the best Cole covers I have ever seen....which means they are 2 of the best covers ever. Would also pay over guide for Crime Suspenstories 22.

In the event that I win the lottery, I would also buy copies of Suspense 3, Fantastic 3 and Detective 1, 29, 31, 35.

I would pay guide multiples for any of the above assuming they had eye appeal that was better than their technical grades.

Only books I would even think about paying that sort of money for would be if MY original SA Marvels popped up. I sold them in 1977 and would pay dearly for a few of them.

...How would you know if they were yours if you saw them?

Only books I would even think about paying that sort of money for would be if MY original SA Marvels popped up. I sold them in 1977 and would pay dearly for a few of them.

I used to put a dot on a place on the bc,so I'd know them from others.And I would know the Bronze ones by the missing MVS's and the dot.

To make this a little more interesting, the book cannot be graded higher than 8.5 and it can't be from an Edgar Church or any other pedigree.

The obvious ones for which I'd pay over guide:

In no particular order, any non-pedigree copy in any condition other than incomplete/coverless, restored or unrestored, of any one of the following:

1) Detective #1

2) Detective #27

3) Action Comics #1 (but not the infamous "Shave Me Daily" copy in the CGC 2.5 slab)

4) Double Action #2

5) New Adventure #26

I know what you mean. I still have all the books I purchased as a kid, and in many cases they remind me of certain days during my childhood. Most of these BA books are in VG to FN condition, but they mean a lot more to me than the VF/NM duplicates I purchased a couple of years ago.

There are only two books in the titles I collect I've been willing to pay over-market prices for in 8.5 condition--FF #1 and FF #13. Got the latter, still looking for the former, although the selection of WAY-over market prices on FF #1 in 8.5 condition hasn't seemed too sparse over the last six months. crazy.gif

I used to put a dot on a place on the bc,so I'd know them from others.And I would know the Bronze ones by the missing MVS's and the dot.

Off to make dots and cut coupons... devil.gif

There are plenty of pre-code horror and crime books that go for multiples of guide in FN and above, partly because of demand, and partly due to their scarcity in anything above that grade.

Mister Mystery 12, Voodoo Annual 1 or Weird Mysteries 5 would be my picks for serious bidding if they came along in around the VF / VF- mark (unrestored, of course). Fat chance, though.