• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where were you at Conamagedon??

22 posts in this topic

It sounds like there was a ton of different cons going on last weekend so I'm curious what your thoughts were about the one you went to? I ended up going to two Cons (one mid sized and one really small one) so I'll write up a quick summary of them below. I forgot my camera (again) so I only used my cell phone camera if I really wanted a picture . . which unfortunately came out looking like . I know there have been a sprinkling of Con reviews already but I'm sure there is a ton of other people that hit up a Con in London to Indiana - let me know what you thought of your Con.

Indiana Comic Con

I ended up driving over Friday night from Cleveland so I could be at the Con bright and early. Jason (youmechoose) was kind enough to let me sell some of my slabs at his booth for a small fee so this con was my first experience actually selling books at a Con. I brought over about 15 slabs which varied from a Defenders 10 CGC 9.6 to a X-Force 2 CGC 9.6 to see how the books would do.

The Con had a huge line up at 8:30 considering the doors didn't open until 10:00 AM:

IMG_1272_zps6mpsn6ev.jpg

The con was laid out with the signature booths on the left side of the huge room and then a large section of swords and knick knack sellers and the right side of the room set up as the comic section. I'd say there was about 20 - 25 comic book booths with the high end being Dale's booth and a couple low end booths only selling $0.50 "drek". The comic booths were well laid out with plenty of room for people to walk around:

IMG_1274_zpstcacwqli.jpg

The merchandise section however has laid out extremely poorly with a ton of pinch points near the front. There was a couple large sword booths that seemed to spill over into the aisle and it was nearly impossible to get around in that section. I only went thru that section once so it was not a huge deal to me but holy cow that portion of the Con was packed.

Like I said, Dale's booth was definitely the best stocked booth at the Con with his usual huge selection. I ventured over a couple times to talk before the Con opened and he and his group are great to talk to.

IMG_1279_zpsjewjxfs2.jpg

On the other side of Jason's booth was Crazy Ed. I had to go over and poke the sleeping bear by asking him for a picture:

IMG_1278_zpsoamvwwz7.jpg

He started telling me about his high paying previous careers and I politely had to cut him off since I had to help at the booth. I get the idea he could have talked for a lot, lot long if I would have let him get going. Ed's booth had some pretty nice books and his booth definitely has a retro vibe to it. No purchases there but it was great to meet the legend.

In terms of books I ended up picking a few hidden gems from a few of the booth and ended up buying a ton of books from a seller local to the area. He was a school teacher and had a huge selection of books at really nice prices. I completely forgot his name but I hope he is at some cons later in the year since I had to put back a grand worth of books since he only took cash or Paypal. Get a card reader man - it's really easy.

I ended up selling the X-Force 2 GCC 9.6 and a Spiderman 18 CGC 4.5 but the rest of the books were wall art. People seemed interested in NM 98 (one kid actually asked to touch one and take a picture of it) and BA 12 (the cheapest copy I saw was $650 in the room). The rest of the people I saw were interested in picking up $2 deadpool books or walking dead books. I don't know really what I expected but I kind of left feeling slightly disappointed. I'm really not use to being around the "look there is a shiny $2 drek book - lets impulse buy it" crowd and it was definitely eye opening what sells at certain cons. I think it reminded me a little too much like buying trinkets at the market in Cancun a couple weeks ago with people wondering around not really knowing what they want but will eventually buy something to take back home with them. I love almost free life lessons so its good to get some real word Con experiences.

Overall a very well put together Con with a ton of families and Cosplay. Great location in Indianapolis and plenty of cheap hotel options nearby. I'll see about going next year but I'm definitely interested in hearing how the vendors did (PM me if you don't want to talk about it here).

I also went to the Cleveland Comic, Car & Nostalgia Show which is a small local show put on Jeff Harper. The Con has been at the same location twice a year for the last 25 years (talked to a couple of the original sellers). The Con is held an elks lodge so I was definitely not expecting much.

The hall was packed when I got there at 11:00 with probably a 100 guys milling around 15 or so booths. For $4 entrance fee you really can't beat the old school comic buying experience. No pictures at this one since my phone was running out of juice.

In terms of books and prices I was blown away by the selection of hot books at really cheap prices. Everyone had the Star Wars 1s marked sky high but there was books like Cat #1 in the $5 boxes so you could get some great deals if you knew the current market. I loved the fact that people were actually buying books at this Con instead of wondering around looking at books. I bought a nice VF Conan 1 for $50 and a couple guys actually said "nice grab" or "I'd of bought it if you said no" similar to you would see on the boards.

The crowd here was MUCH older but they seemed way more into comics which was refreshing compared to my last couple cons. Nothing really outrageous to tell about this con other then I was surprised at the turn out and that some people still do not take credit even when they are selling $1,000 books.

Almost forgot - I had one of those wish I would have pulled the trigger moments. Guy was selling a ASM 31 in CGC 9.0 OW/W and wanted $700 for it. I couldn't get GPA to come up so I passed. Turns out the last copy sold for over $950 - coulda woulda shoulda. Anyone else pass on a book and kick yourself later.

Went to the Indiana Comic Con, but only for setup. I left Friday afternoon, so just missed you.

It was a pretty good buying show. No crazy collections unveiled, but I think I bought things from at least a dozen different dealers. Only 1-10 books from each, but it added up!

They were Jason's copies and I think one was a graded 9.0 and the other was a 9.2 or so. He had them priced aggressively so hopefully they sold on Sunday.

The rest of the people I saw were interested in picking up $2 deadpool books or walking dead books. I don't know really what I expected but I kind of left feeling slightly disappointed. I'm really not use to being around the "look there is a shiny $2 drek book - lets impulse buy it" crowd and it was definitely eye opening what sells at certain cons. I think it reminded me a little too much like buying trinkets at the market in Cancun a couple weeks ago with people wondering around not really knowing what they want but will eventually buy something to take back home with them.

That, my friend, is who buys the books that people on the boards don't want, and we should be thankful for their enthusiasm. Didn't everyone start collecting that way?

The rest of the people I saw were interested in picking up $2 deadpool books or walking dead books. I don't know really what I expected but I kind of left feeling slightly disappointed. I'm really not use to being around the "look there is a shiny $2 drek book - lets impulse buy it" crowd and it was definitely eye opening what sells at certain cons. I think it reminded me a little too much like buying trinkets at the market in Cancun a couple weeks ago with people wondering around not really knowing what they want but will eventually buy something to take back home with them.

That, my friend, is who buys the books that people on the boards don't want, and we should be thankful for their enthusiasm. Didn't everyone start collecting that way?

I guess but it's about as exciting as watching paint dry from a selling stand point. I guess I'm use to the action packed sales threads on the boards where good books sell in minutes if priced right. I watched Jason discount a $80 book down to $60 for a guy just to watch him say he will wait until tomorrow. And don't get me started on the crazy number of people skimming thru the boxes for a hour and then buying nothing. Patience and the dealer thousand yard stare is something I'm going to have to work on.

Was good seeing you andrew. Did not charge you a fee though :) just asked what you wanted per book and added $20-50 on top buyer paid the fee :)

Show was great. Did strong sales. I did sell those nm 98's to another dealer as i was leaving. All the other dealers i talked to in the room did well. All in all this was a great show and i will be back next year, just not ww indianapolis.

I guess but it's about as exciting as watching paint dry from a selling stand point. I guess I'm use to the action packed sales threads on the boards where good books sell in minutes if priced right. I watched Jason discount a $80 book down to $60 for a guy just to watch him say he will wait until tomorrow. And don't get me started on the crazy number of people skimming thru the boxes for a hour and then buying nothing. Patience and the dealer thousand yard stare is something I'm going to have to work on.

He bought that preacher 13 the next day for full price. I know he was a board member and is probably embarrassed. i did so well on saturday that i actually increased prices on some books and did not discount anything on sunday as i did not want to sell any more wall books. Some didnt care and bought them anyway. I love you indianapolis.

It was great seeing october rummaging through dealers stock before they had a chance to set up lol jk :)

Always a breath of fresh air to see dale and doc wats at a show. I know i will do good when they are there.

Was good seeing you andrew. Did not charge you a fee though :) just asked what you wanted per book and added $20-50 on top buyer paid the fee :)

Show was great. Did strong sales. I did sell those nm 98's to another dealer as i was leaving. All the other dealers i talked to in the room did well. All in all this was a great show and i will be back next year, just not ww indianapolis.

Great talking to you also Jason. I guess I should have explained it was a buyer paid fee lol. Glad you did well at the show and all the behind the scenes info you gave me was invaluable.

Sounds like fun.

The "buy it later" customer is always fun. Some do come back. Some get very annoyed when someone else buys it before they come back. Most you never see again.

He bought that preacher 13 the next day for full price. I know he was a board member and is probably embarrassed. i did so well on saturday that i actually increased prices on some books and did not discount anything on sunday as i did not want to sell any more wall books. Some didnt care and bought them anyway. I love you indianapolis.

It was great seeing october rummaging through dealers stock before they had a chance to set up lol jk :)

Always a breath of fresh air to see dale and doc wats at a show. I know i will do good when they are there.

Glad you did well. You going to do WW Nashville again?

Thanks for the Spidey!

It was good to meet you, Andrew. (thumbs u

Great meeting and talking with you also. I couldn't take a picture of your booth or I'd get in trouble the Man.

Glad you did well. You going to do WW Nashville again?

Thanks for the Spidey!

Absolutely. And no prob.