• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl cover cancelled

436 posts in this topic

I like the cover. Joker is supposed to be creepy.

Game, Set, Match.

Every year, we have to worry and cater more and more to "feelings," and have more "PC" words invented or used in lieu of their just fine predecessors, so we can keep enabling to walk on egg shells so not to offend anyone who walks the earth.

(Let's keep giving those spiffy trophies to kids for coming in last place too. Because heaven forbid, someone says they lost and came in last place - keep practicing and work harder, is just too mean. Where's George Carlin when you need him? He would tell Timmy's mom that maybe if he could see his feet or not chased butterflies while in the race he might have not been in last place)

Ok I'm done. Happy early Friday.

Point. Missed.

The majority of people who are complaining about this cover are the actual fans of this comic. Batgirl has been reinvented as a positive, empowered role model for girls and young women. The new creative team have done an excellent job of making a fun book with a fun character. To have this Batgirl once again become the helpless victim of the rapey, sadistic Killing Joke Joker is so tonally wide of the mark of where this character is now. The editorial staff have let down the creative team and this comics fans. Simple.

Of course when this becomes news, suddenly swathes of angry male comic book fans feel they are the victims of some PC agenda, now that the comic book they never read in the first place has a variant cover that wont get published. The image is still there on the internet, so all the fans of this cover can still view it to their hearts content. Yet the actual audience for this comic have been let down by the fact that there was a decision made by DC that this cover might have been a good choice for the new Batgirl comic.

And lastly there was the violent and sexual threats aimed at the people who were complaining about the cover by some outraged 'fans' of this cover, which maybe shows how some on the other side in this debate might actually be the 'over sensitive ' ones.

Point was not missed, but thank-you for pointing out your point (opinion) about my point (opinion)

It's a comic book cover, a variant cover with one artist's rendition or interpretation of these two great characters in the DC Universe. One is good the other is bad.

Hats off to all all the whistle blowing, the current Batgirl fans and perhaps the whole world might not have functioned if Batgirl was seen in this situation, looking how she does on one cover.

Scary thought, I'm counting my lucky stars.

Now off to try and change a yield sign to stop sign and save a whale or two if I have time, all while my dear sweet beautiful Wife is hacksawing that same yield sign down and on hold on the phone while purchasing a whaling fleet yelling to the kids to get her a beer while she is on the couch watching ESPN.

Game, Set, Match.

Every year, we have to worry and cater more and more to "feelings," and have more "PC" words invented or used in lieu of their just fine predecessors, so we can keep enabling to walk on egg shells so not to offend anyone who walks the earth.

(Let's keep giving those spiffy trophies to kids for coming in last place too. Because heaven forbid, someone says they lost and came in last place - keep practicing and work harder, is just too mean. Where's George Carlin when you need him? He would tell Timmy's mom that maybe if he could see his feet or not chased butterflies while in the race he might have not been in last place)

Point. Missed.

The majority of people who are complaining about this cover are the actual fans of this comic. Batgirl has been reinvented as a positive, empowered role model for girls and young women. The new creative team have done an excellent job of making a fun book with a fun character. To have this Batgirl once again become the helpless victim of the rapey, sadistic Killing Joke Joker is so tonally wide of the mark of where this character is now. The editorial staff have let down the creative team and this comics fans. Simple.

Of course when this becomes news, suddenly swathes of angry male comic book fans feel they are the victims of some PC agenda, now that the comic book they never read in the first place has a variant cover that wont get published. The image is still there on the internet, so all the fans of this cover can still view it to their hearts content. Yet the actual audience for this comic have been let down by the fact that there was a decision made by DC that this cover might have been a good choice for the new Batgirl comic.

And lastly there was the violent and sexual threats aimed at the people who were complaining about the cover by some outraged 'fans' of this cover, which maybe shows how some on the other side in this debate might actually be the 'over sensitive ' ones.

Totally agree.

I like this variation on the cover, with just the eyes changed. Less victim. More hero.

CAUp5g6VIAA4uU0_zpsykpqmf9m.png

Much ado about this cover and its cancellation.

BG-Cv41-Joker-variant-solicitation-88c4e-31e8d.0.0_zpsrx1gloxb.jpg

Thoughts?

Having not read anything but the original post, and knowing exactly the rehashed debate that has followed. I throw my pointless 2 cents in merely to say once more:

Political Correctness is the scourge of Western Society.

and further more, some day there will be a lot less ineffective advertising dollars available online, and I look forward to the majority of "blog" writers having to find other things to do then invent teacup tempests so like minded people can get in a big circle and all pat each other on the back...

No one follows Political Correctness other than those who choose to.

My god, people diddle themselves on cam sites all over the internet 24 hours a day and people think somehow we're repressed here in the U.S? Wake up.

What is it you feel you can't do to express yourself???

Is disagreement a form of censorship? lol

Sheesh.... first world crybabies... we have no idea what real censorship is here....

Game, Set, Match.

Point. Missed.

Point was not missed, but thank-you for pointing out your point (opinion) about my point (opinion)

It's a comic book cover, a variant cover with one artist's rendition or interpretation of these two great characters in the DC Universe. One is good the other is bad.

Hats off to all all the whistle blowing, the current Batgirl fans and perhaps the whole world might not have functioned if Batgirl was seen in this situation, looking how she does on one cover.

Scary thought, I'm counting my lucky stars.

Now off to try and change a yield sign to stop sign and save a whale or two if I have time, all while my dear sweet beautiful Wife is hacksawing that same yield sign down and on hold on the phone while purchasing a whaling fleet yelling to the kids to get her a beer while she is on the couch watching ESPN.

:applause:

ba6f8e111ea79eff3ba5f5a15000218d7b62d1f7be0af119ada02fd7952ab685.jpg

DC wasn't forced to do anything. They didn't learn any new PC terms or think in regards to anyone's feelings.

They simply made a judgement call geared toward minimizing bad publicity.

Yes, exactly. I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up about the cover being replaced. DC is not instituting a line-wide ban on covers showing women in peril. Or women as sex objects.

If that's the kind of thing you like, more power to you. There are plenty of books you can go and buy and frot away over the cover to your heart's content.

As another poster said, Batgirl has been reinvented and this was tonally wrong. You might disagree - but to try and paint this as some kind of evidence of the decline of free speech is absurd.

"Political correctness is the scourge of modern society"? Do me a favour.

When did Joker rape Batgirl?

Depending on the reader's interpretation Batman The Killing Joke.

:facepalm:

I've read it probably 10 times and never once got that impression.

Ditto

Thoughts?

Having not read anything but the original post, and knowing exactly the rehashed debate that has followed. I throw my pointless 2 cents in merely to say once more:

and further more, some day there will be a lot less ineffective advertising dollars available online, and I look forward to the majority of "blog" writers having to find other things to do then invent teacup tempests so like minded people can get in a big circle and all pat each other on the back...

My god, people diddle themselves on cam sites all over the internet 24 hours a day and people think somehow we're repressed here in the U.S? Wake up.

Sheesh.... first world crybabies... we have no idea what real censorship is here....

I think both of these statements are far too extreme.

Thank you.

Same here, with the fist read when it came out. All I could think was WTF???

Between panels the imaginations of the forever-offended industry get real busy or something. Mercy.

Thoughts?

I think both of these statements are far too extreme.

Maybe. (In regards to mine)

But in general, I just don't find the mainstream to be oppressed here.

Thank you.

Between panels the imaginations of the forever-offended industry get real busy or something. Mercy.

hm Is the interpretation really that much of a stretch?

killingjoke27-600x937.jpg

If that's the kind of thing you like, more power to you. There are plenty of books you can go and buy and frot away over the cover to your heart's content.

:eek:

I don't think that most people go that far in their like of this cover...

-slym

Thank you.

hm Is the interpretation really that much of a stretch?

killingjoke27-600x937.jpg

I was 12 years old when I read The Killing Joke. I was just a kid, but I knew what rape was.

I totally thought Joker stripping her naked & what they showed of the pictures was to imply Joker raped her without DC officially having it in a comic.

Game, Set, Match.

Point. Missed.

Sigh...you can hide in the sun until you see the light.