• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl cover cancelled

436 posts in this topic

I look forward to the majority of "blog" writers having to find other things to do then invent teacup tempests so like minded people can get in a big circle and all pat each other on the back...

+1,000,000

The internet is the new home of Yellow Journalism. And has been for many years, thanks to bloggers. My work has been a victim to this twice, both times exaggerated to the point of it solely being clickbait for the writer, with little substance (and many incorrect assumptions).

I look forward to the majority of "blog" writers having to find other things to do then invent teacup tempests so like minded people can get in a big circle and all pat each other on the back...

+1,000,000

The internet is the new home of Yellow Journalism. And has been for many years, thanks to bloggers. My work has been a victim to this twice, both times exaggerated to the point of it solely being clickbait for the writer, with little substance (and many incorrect assumptions).

Once someone invents a device to throat-punch someone over the internet, the world will be a wonderful place.

+1,000,000

But wasn't it your employer who made the choices to change?

If they worry about what an army of nerds thinks, then that's on THEM. They should have believed in your artistic vision, and stood by you.

I have had plenty of instances, here on this very forum, where I took a stance that people felt I was wrong about - it didn't change my position - nobody told me anything to make me think otherwise - and believe me, at times it felt like an army of nerds coming at me. But I was the Master of my own Dominion. I was the one who could make that choice.

And no amount of cussing and discussing and threats or mockery was going to make me change what I believed in.

And it's probably cost me sales or friends because of it here.

But I'm an idealist that way.

Companies and Corporations and Business' are NOT.

So when we work for them and create for them, we are at the mercy of the desire to offend NO ONE and keep the almighty dollar rolling in no matter what.

It's the companies DECISION that creates the CHANGE.

If they don't RESPOND, there's no CHANGE.

The blabber will go one forever out there.... it was around LONG before BLOGS were created. It will forever be people talking about stuff and person_without_enough_empathying and complaining.

The only time it means anything is when someone caves in to it.

COMPROMISE is the ENEMY.

Not some dork in Pinochle, Vermont who has an opinion.

P.S. And I love you, man!

+1,000,000

Once someone invents a device to throat-punch someone over the internet, the world will be a wonderful place.

No! It wouldn't!

What is this insanity?

I would much prefer people don't have the power to sexually harass someone on the internet or threaten people with violence over the internet or manipulate and prey upon young kids on the internet...

But share an opinion?

Why does everyone care about THAT so much?

In addition to what I said before, upon a second review, think it's the teardrop that pushes it over the edge. Without the tear drop, she is startled. With the tear drop she recalls trauma. To be fair, I've had people look at me with that face, and it is always about something disturbing.

Anyone else noticed the irony?

DC has this cover censored to ensure impressionable youths / fans of the positive-rainbows and lolly's version of Batgirl aren't offended.

Subsequent censorship results in the media/blog world posting and sharing said art to everyone on the planet.

Self-righteous activists share a resounding "Victory!"

Except.. It wasn't censored. The artist asked that it not be used.

Only after people complained. The original intent was to publish the book.

+1,000,000

If they worry about what an army of nerds thinks, then that's on THEM. They should have believed in your artistic vision, and stood by you.

I have had plenty of instances, here on this very forum, where I took a stance that people felt I was wrong about - it didn't change my position - nobody told me anything to make me think otherwise - and believe me, at times it felt like an army of nerds coming at me. But I was the Master of my own Dominion. I was the one who could make that choice.

And no amount of cussing and discussing and threats or mockery was going to make me change what I believed in.

So when we work for them and create for them, we are at the mercy of the desire to offend NO ONE and keep the almighty dollar rolling in no matter what.

The blabber will go one forever out there.... it was around LONG before BLOGS were created. It will forever be people talking about stuff and person_without_enough_empathying and complaining.

COMPROMISE is the ENEMY.

Yeah, CCCC opted to use one postcard, not both - and they came out apologizing, etc. But only after one comic shop owner, who sells things like Manga statues of schoolgirls in short skirts, topless Vampirella comics and all the other typical hyper-sexual comic stuff took issue with something no more intense than what can be found on his shelves 365 days a year. Why did he point this out? To gain notoriety for his story. To make a Twitter topic people would engage in - not because he felt it violated his sensibilities - but because it would get people talking.

My main issue is that blogs as well as news articles and their headlines are now engineered to generate click revenue - every story, viewpoint or opinion is subconsciously blown out of proportion because writers and corporations are looking to get their slice of the pie. It's not about reporting, it's about sensationalizing to make money - just like it was 100 years ago. Everyone wants to monetize everything they do online, and cutting corners, being sensational and controversial is the best way to do it - even if means taking a knee-jerk reaction to the topic.

And I agree, the real problem is when people cave to it - but the pressure that a small minority of people put on companies is much easier to apply now, because the internet is full of drama queens who not only feel the need to express themselves, but it actually becomes a way to express themselves by latching onto manufactured controversy. After all, attention whores can't stand other attention whores stealing the spotlight - so the narcissism takes over, and the problem is exacerbated because it just continues on with each new attention whore trying to outdo the previous with more insight to why it shouldn't be used, or why it's disturbing.

Blogger 1: "This is a great cover because it's disturbing!"

Blogger 2: "This cover is disturbing!"

Blogger 3: "People who have be crippled by costumed maniacs will find this cover disturbing - I demand it not being used!"

Blogger 4: "People who see this cover will need therapy - I demand it not being used!"

Blogger 5: "My dog finds this cover disturbing - I demand it not being used!"

And so on, ad infinitum. And we can't change it - and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem is that opinions are given weight, regardless of who gives them. Giving credence to opinions from people who are not versed in what they are talking about has set a horrible precedent here online. Even worse, those people - when pointed out any logical reasoning to why decisions were made - simply ignore it and continue on with their railing on the topic. It's one thing to engage in conversation online, in a bar or anywhere else about things we really don't know about - we all do that. Do I know how to be President of the United States? Hell, no - but that doesn't stop me from criticizing him - to people around me. It's a different ballgame when companies start taking those opinions to heart and giving one person credence over everyone else - simply because they are worried about their bottom line.

It's a shame that the artist and DC caved. I understand why, but it doesn't mean that I agree with them cowering down to a tiny fractional minority for the sake of not wanting to anyone off. I've seen firsthand the stress, panic and worry a person has when it seems like the entire internet is against them - it's human nature to do something to alleviate the pressure. So I get that part - it's too bad, though. Personally, I think taking a stand would have probably drove up sales.

+1,000,000

+1,000,001

I think of it as Borg Hub BS. The tiniest Node can register the tiniest observance and the entire Hivemind hums with almost instant Cube-wide awareness. An affront to The Collective has occurred. A response, always the same, vibrates throughout: Remove the offense, assimilate willingly or suffer the consequences.

+1,000,000

+1,000,001

I think of it as Borg Hub BS. The tiniest Node can register the tiniest observance and the entire Hivemind hums with almost instant Cube-wide awareness. An affront to The Collective has occurred. A response, always the same, vibrates throughout: Remove the offense, assimilate willingly or suffer the consequences.

Wow, I couldn't have thought out a better way to say it. Brilliant! lol

+1,000,000

COMPROMISE is the ENEMY.

Yeah, CCCC opted to use one postcard, not both - and they came out apologizing, etc. But only after one comic shop owner, who sells things like Manga statues of schoolgirls in short skirts, topless Vampirella comics and all the other typical hyper-sexual comic stuff took issue with something no more intense than what can be found on his shelves 365 days a year. Why did he point this out? To gain notoriety for his story. To make a Twitter topic people would engage in - not because he felt it violated his sensibilities - but because it would get people talking.

What a jerk.

My main issue is that blogs as well as news articles and their headlines are now engineered to generate click revenue - every story, viewpoint or opinion is subconsciously blown out of proportion because writers and corporations are looking to get their slice of the pie. It's not about reporting, it's about sensationalizing to make money. Everyone wants to monetize everything they do online, and cutting corners, being sensational and controversial is the best way to do it - even if means taking a knee-jerk reaction to the topic.

That's news and entertainment in general. Paddy Chayefsky really was a visionary.

But the vocal minority has always been there....

How many movies were changed because of screening test audiences? Coke Classic went by the wayside because people voiced their opinion through their pocket book as well as their vocal chords. Bon Jovi, Poison, and numerous other bands changed their album covers because people complained. Beatles records were burned. The voices have always been there.

Corporations actually love this new way of communicating and even create fake forums and news sites on their own to cull opinions and get a better understanding of how to sell products to the largest market they can. Because that's their goal. Sell to as many people as they can. It gives them information before they actually produce a product.

Art, or the artist or integrity lol really isn't a concept to them. It's just another way to market a product.

And I agree, the real problem is when people cave to it - but the pressure that a small minority of people put on companies is much easier to apply now, because the internet is full of drama queens who not only feel the need to express themselves, but it actually becomes a way to express themselves by latching onto manufactured controversy. After all, attention whores can't stand other attention whores stealing the spotlight - so the narcissism takes over, and the problem is exacerbated because it just continues on with each new attention whore trying to outdo the previous with more insight to why it shouldn't be used, or why it's disturbing.

In general... I just see this as a myth. I don't see companies changing what they do. When it comes to comics, I look at the output of Avatar every month and Eros Comix and even some of the more mainstream companies... I picked up an issue of a Dark Horse Comic the other day that I had out on the shelf where anyone could pick it up and BOOM a big honkin' weiner right there on the page.

There are TONS of things people could complain about with comics, every single day... what is this the second situation we've heard about in the last two years?

What was the last one... Batman getting busy with Catwoman or something that someone felt was inappropriate? Nothing happened. It's been reprinted as is.

I just don't see much going on with this type of thing that everyone seems to think is an constant happening.

And so on, ad infinitum. And we can't change it - and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem is that opinions are given weight, regardless of who gives them. Giving credence to opinions from people who are not versed in what they are talking about has set a horrible precedent here online. Even worse, those people - when pointed out any logical reasoning to why decisions were made - simply ignore it and continue on with their railing on the topic.

But words only have weight that we give them. Or the corporation gives them in making decisions.

It's a shame that the artist and DC caved. I understand why, but it doesn't mean that I agree with them cowering down to a tiny fractional minority for the sake of not wanting to anyone off.

These are all business decisions.

DC made a business decision. It's a book with a limited audience, that we've aimed at young teen girls, so by pulling it we: 1) Keep the teen girl audience dollar 2) Keep the Righteous Indignation Dollar, 3) the dopes that'll complain but still buy the altered cover we already have anyway and 4) We avoid long term controversy to protect the brand.

Win Win Win for DC

Or they could have just ignored it and let it eventually blend in with all the other sexist, misogynistic comics on the rack.

I still believe.... COMPROMISE is the ENEMY to art.

Not opinion.

Personally, I think taking a stand would have probably drove up sales.

I agree.

In addition to what I said before, upon a second review, think it's the teardrop that pushes it over the edge. Without the tear drop, she is startled. With the tear drop she recalls trauma.

FWIW, that was my first take as well.

I just find it weird that anyone concerned with censorship would want to silence opinion's. (shrug)

The censorship here is self censorship on the part of the company.

I have yet to see an example of a company that HAD to change something because public opinion forced the issue. I'm sure it's maybe happened, but I just don't see it as a common happening that's somehow changed the world.

....and, really folks, what IS with all this rape/sexuality stuff...?

I red Killing Joke when I was 18, and several times since then, and never once...ever....did it even enter my mind that the Joker had raped Babs.

Not even once.

Now...by the power of suggestion, I DO see how someone who might be inclined to think that might see it in that page...but that really begs the question of "why are you inclined to see that in the first place?"

hm

Never has it entered my mind...and I'm not that stupid...that the Joker was pulling sexual offender tactics on the DCU.

Ever.

Yes. The 1st time I read the story, I thought she was raped.

I was young, and new to comics, so I hadn't read a ton of Joker stories to make me think it was out of character for him to go that far.

I just thought he was a really evil scary character that had no limits. A true adversary to Bats.

I've seen a bunch of posts questioning the people who thought she was raped. Saying they read the story a ton of times and the thought NEVER crossed their mind. Therefore, the people who did read it must be twisted in some way.

Let me put it another way with an analogy.

If someone kidnapped YOUR daughter in real life. Stripped off her clothes, took pictures of her naked body, and sent the pictures to you, you wouldn't think she could have been raped? The thought would NEVER cross your mind?!? Really? If my daughter had the same expressions and poses as the ones in the comic I'd be haunted and out of my F'N mind.

Furthermore, the police officer assigned to help you get her back responds, "I've seen tons of cases with girls being stripped of their clothes and I've NEVER even had a thought they could have been raped, is something wrong with you?? And it's not that he's trying to calm you down, he really didn't think of it. My opinion of his abilities would be :censored:

While I like your analogy, I am also a part of the group that didn't see the rape when I read it. I think a part of it has to do with real life vs. comic book fantasy. Sure, the obvious reaction in real life is to think the worst. However, in comic books you don't see rape pretty much at all in the comic book world. It is occasionally alluded to, but extremely rare to actually see it take place. You just don't expect to see this type of thing in the comic book world, so that is probably why some people never figured out it may have happened. 2c

That is a powerful image. It evokes strong emotions in some. The artist has to ask himself if that's what he's trying to convey. Maybe he was surprised at the outrage it caused in some? Did he give any thought to how it might be offensive to anybody? Did he think it would be controversial? Sometimes we do things that may catch us by surprise in the reaction of others.

That is a powerful image. It evokes strong emotions in some. The artist has to ask himself if that's what he's trying to convey. Maybe he was surprised at the outrage it caused in some? Did he give any thought to how it might be offensive to anybody? Did he think it would be controversial? Sometimes we do things that may catch us by surprise in the reaction of others.

It's not that easy. Replace Batgirl with __fill in the blank__ and the Borg Cube might've hummed with approval. Heralded the artist as visionary genius. The Hivemind responds to assimilated or un-assimilated. Means and methods are irrelevant.

No! It wouldn't!

What is this insanity?

I would much prefer people don't have the power to sexually harass someone on the internet or threaten people with violence over the internet or manipulate and prey upon young kids on the internet...

But share an opinion?

Why does everyone care about THAT so much?

All I said was the throat-punch. Didn't say anything about harassment or children.

There's only one reason it would be invented...because some opinions are incorrect.

+1,000,000

COMPROMISE is the ENEMY.

My main issue is that blogs as well as news articles and their headlines are now engineered to generate click revenue - every story, viewpoint or opinion is subconsciously blown out of proportion because writers and corporations are looking to get their slice of the pie. It's not about reporting, it's about sensationalizing to make money - just like it was 100 years ago. Everyone wants to monetize everything they do online, and cutting corners, being sensational and controversial is the best way to do it - even if means taking a knee-jerk reaction to the topic.

Blogger 1: "This is a great cover because it's disturbing!"

Blogger 2: "This cover is disturbing!"

Blogger 3: "People who have be crippled by costumed maniacs will find this cover disturbing - I demand it not being used!"

Blogger 4: "People who see this cover will need therapy - I demand it not being used!"

Blogger 5: "My dog finds this cover disturbing - I demand it not being used!"

And so on, ad infinitum. And we can't change it - and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem is that opinions are given weight, regardless of who gives them. Giving credence to opinions from people who are not versed in what they are talking about has set a horrible precedent here online. Even worse, those people - when pointed out any logical reasoning to why decisions were made - simply ignore it and continue on with their railing on the topic. It's one thing to engage in conversation online, in a bar or anywhere else about things we really don't know about - we all do that. Do I know how to be President of the United States? Hell, no - but that doesn't stop me from criticizing him - to people around me. It's a different ballgame when companies start taking those opinions to heart and giving one person credence over everyone else - simply because they are worried about their bottom line.

It's a shame that the artist and DC caved. I understand why, but it doesn't mean that I agree with them cowering down to a tiny fractional minority for the sake of not wanting to anyone off. I've seen firsthand the stress, panic and worry a person has when it seems like the entire internet is against them - it's human nature to do something to alleviate the pressure. So I get that part - it's too bad, though. Personally, I think taking a stand would have probably drove up sales.

Well Said.

Like I said somewhere in this thread, with not taking a stand (unfortunately) DC got a lot of free publicity, marketing and advertising.

Frankly, I'm tired of people coddling misogynists. Talk about being PC.

Dan

You tell 'em, Dan.

That damn Joker, always being coddled.

:mad:

"Awwww, he didn't mean it! He's asexual. He's just a funny guy in a suit. So misunderstood, give him a juice box and stop picking on him."

The artist pulled the cover. He realized his mistake. That settles it.

Dan

That sounds like bitter sarcasm, but I know you better than that, Dan. You would never be contemptuous of anyone here.

Yes, complete moral certitude is certainly an admirable trait. That artist sure got put in HIS place. That'll learn 'im to cross the decency police!

:cloud9: