• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl cover cancelled

436 posts in this topic

When did Joker rape Batgirl?

Depending on the reader's interpretation Batman The Killing Joke.

:facepalm:

I've read it probably 10 times and never once got that impression.

I never did either, maybe I'm dense?

I like the cover. Joker is supposed to be creepy.

Game, Set, Match.

Every year, we have to worry and cater more and more to "feelings," and have more "PC" words invented or used in lieu of their just fine predecessors, so we can keep enabling to walk on egg shells so not to offend anyone who walks the earth.

(Let's keep giving those spiffy trophies to kids for coming in last place too. Because heaven forbid, someone says they lost and came in last place - keep practicing and work harder, is just too mean. Where's George Carlin when you need him? He would tell Timmy's mom that maybe if he could see his feet or not chased butterflies while in the race he might have not been in last place)

Ok I'm done. Happy early Friday.

Point. Missed.

The majority of people who are complaining about this cover are the actual fans of this comic. Batgirl has been reinvented as a positive, empowered role model for girls and young women. The new creative team have done an excellent job of making a fun book with a fun character. To have this Batgirl once again become the helpless victim of the rapey, sadistic Killing Joke Joker is so tonally wide of the mark of where this character is now. The editorial staff have let down the creative team and this comics fans. Simple.

Of course when this becomes news, suddenly swathes of angry male comic book fans feel they are the victims of some PC agenda, now that the comic book they never read in the first place has a variant cover that wont get published. The image is still there on the internet, so all the fans of this cover can still view it to their hearts content. Yet the actual audience for this comic have been let down by the fact that there was a decision made by DC that this cover might have been a good choice for the new Batgirl comic.

And lastly there was the violent and sexual threats aimed at the people who were complaining about the cover by some outraged 'fans' of this cover, which maybe shows how some on the other side in this debate might actually be the 'over sensitive ' ones.

Sigh...you can hide in the sun until you see the light.

Some light can never be seen?

Anyone else noticed the irony?

DC has this cover censored to ensure impressionable youths / fans of the positive-rainbows and lolly's version of Batgirl aren't offended.

Subsequent censorship results in the media/blog world posting and sharing said art to everyone on the planet.

Self-righteous activists share a resounding "Victory!"

When did Joker rape Batgirl?

Depending on the reader's interpretation Batman The Killing Joke.

:facepalm:

I've read it probably 10 times and never once got that impression.

I never did either, maybe I'm dense?

Groped her, but I don't think he raped her. Sure that would've been made clear.

I was 12 years old when I read The Killing Joke. I was just a kid, but I knew what rape was.

I totally thought Joker stripping her naked & what they showed of the pictures was to imply Joker raped her without DC officially having it in a comic.

Wow. Ok. All the times I read it over the years that thought never entered my mind.

Has Joker been a sexual predator over his 70+ years and I just missed that aspect of the character somehow? Gordon appears nude and collared too, so...? And all those times Joker's hogtied victims? That's some pretty dark add-on stuff, even for Joker.

I guess that's where 'reader interpretation' comes in. Maybe between panels Batman is a graffiti artist on all the dark alleys he visits. Something to do between fights.

Where are the people outraged over the threat of real violence directed at those protesting?

Change a comic book cover? HOW DARE THEY!

Threatened to kill someone? Whatever.

This world needs an enema.

Exactly.

:hi:

I was wondering if you had a chance to read my post yet.

:cloud9:

Anyone else noticed the irony?

DC has this cover censored to ensure impressionable youths / fans of the positive-rainbows and lolly's version of Batgirl aren't offended.

Subsequent censorship results in the media/blog world posting and sharing said art to everyone on the planet.

Self-righteous activists share a resounding "Victory!"

Funny how that works, innit...?

They even have a name for it, but it's political, so I'll censor myself.

I was 12 years old when I read The Killing Joke. I was just a kid, but I knew what rape was.

I totally thought Joker stripping her naked & what they showed of the pictures was to imply Joker raped her without DC officially having it in a comic.

Wow. Ok. All the times I read it over the years that thought never entered my mind.

Has Joker been a sexual predator over his 70+ years and I just missed that aspect of the character somehow? Gordon appears nude and collared too, so...? And all those times Joker's hogtied victims? That's some pretty dark add-on stuff, even for Joker.

I guess that's where 'reader interpretation' comes in. Maybe between panels Batman is a graffiti artist on all the dark alleys he visits. Something to do between fights.

Joker has always been kinda asexual to me. Even when Harley is around, he doesn't seem that interested in her physically. Obviously I'm not expecting to see a panel where he's laying the pipe to her, but you know what I'm saying. Then again, I never thought Batman killed joker at the end of that story, either. I wouldn't call someone crazy for thinking Joker did something unsavory to batgirl in that story, though. I can see how it's open to interpretation.

But let's say he did. How does that tie in to this variant cover? Are people interpreting it as him doing something naughty to her with his finger, then wiping it on her face? Because that would be friggin hot terrible, and I could never see DC green lighting that cover in the first place if even a hint of that scenario crossed the minds of the people involved.

....and, really folks, what IS with all this rape/sexuality stuff...?

I red Killing Joke when I was 18, and several times since then, and never once...ever....did it even enter my mind that the Joker had raped Babs.

Not even once.

Now...by the power of suggestion, I DO see how someone who might be inclined to think that might see it in that page...but that really begs the question of "why are you inclined to see that in the first place?"

hm

Never has it entered my mind...and I'm not that stupid...that the Joker was pulling sexual offender tactics on the DCU.

Ever.