• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batgirl cover cancelled

436 posts in this topic

I like the cover. Joker is supposed to be creepy.

Game, Set, Match.

Every year, we have to worry and cater more and more to "feelings," and have more "PC" words invented or used in lieu of their just fine predecessors, so we can keep enabling to walk on egg shells so not to offend anyone who walks the earth.

(Let's keep giving those spiffy trophies to kids for coming in last place too. Because heaven forbid, someone says they lost and came in last place - keep practicing and work harder, is just too mean. Where's George Carlin when you need him? He would tell Timmy's mom that maybe if he could see his feet or not chased butterflies while in the race he might have not been in last place)

Ok I'm done. Happy early Friday.

Point. Missed.

The majority of people who are complaining about this cover are the actual fans of this comic. Batgirl has been reinvented as a positive, empowered role model for girls and young women. The new creative team have done an excellent job of making a fun book with a fun character. To have this Batgirl once again become the helpless victim of the rapey, sadistic Killing Joke Joker is so tonally wide of the mark of where this character is now. The editorial staff have let down the creative team and this comics fans. Simple.

Of course when this becomes news, suddenly swathes of angry male comic book fans feel they are the victims of some PC agenda, now that the comic book they never read in the first place has a variant cover that wont get published. The image is still there on the internet, so all the fans of this cover can still view it to their hearts content. Yet the actual audience for this comic have been let down by the fact that there was a decision made by DC that this cover might have been a good choice for the new Batgirl comic.

And lastly there was the violent and sexual threats aimed at the people who were complaining about the cover by some outraged 'fans' of this cover, which maybe shows how some on the other side in this debate might actually be the 'over sensitive ' ones.

The majority of people who are complaining about this cover are the actual fans of this comic.

How does one determine who is an "actual fan" of something...? And how do you determine that the majority of people complaining are actual fans...? And do you have to be an "actual fan" to have a voice...?

hm

Interesting...

Batgirl has been reinvented as a positive, empowered role model for girls and young women.

Because nothing says empowerment better than fictional fantasy characters who have abilities no actual person would ever be able to duplicate, even with decades of training.

I mean, really....your sigline contains art by one of the most exploitative (and wonderful!) artists that ever worked in the business: Dave Stevens.

Let's be consistent, here.

The new creative team have done an excellent job of making a fun book with a fun character. To have this Batgirl once again become the helpless victim of the rapey, sadistic Killing Joke Joker is so tonally wide of the mark of where this character is now. The editorial staff have let down the creative team and this comics fans. Simple.

Have they, now...interesting!

Of course when this becomes news, suddenly swathes of angry male comic book fans feel they are the victims of some PC agenda,

You mean, saying "much ado about nothing" now makes someone a victim...? When the cover is squashed because people complained loudly enough about it to frighten the publisher and artist into withdrawing, the people complaining about the complaining are now the victims...?

hm

And why do you presume the swathes of angry comic book fans are male...? So, female comic book fans can't be angry about this censorship too...?

So much for female empowerment.

now that the comic book they never read in the first place

How do you know this...?

has a variant cover that wont get published. The image is still there on the internet, so all the fans of this cover can still view it to their hearts content. Yet the actual audience for this comic have been let down by the fact that there was a decision made by DC that this cover might have been a good choice for the new Batgirl comic.

I'm sure they'll manage to carry on, difficult though that may be...

And lastly there was the violent and sexual threats aimed at the people who were complaining about the cover by some outraged 'fans' of this cover, which maybe shows how some in the other side in this debate might actually be the 'over sensitive ' ones.

Because nothing says "justification" quite like pointing to the other guy and saying "SEE? They're doing something crazy TOO! Our crazy don't look so crazy now, do it?"

:cloud9:

Congratulations, you've defeated the tyranny of free expression with the tyranny of censorship in the context of something as insignificant as the 40th-ish issue of a superhero comic book that probably won't exist in a few years.

Have all the cookies.

I like the cover. Joker is supposed to be creepy.

Game, Set, Match.

Every year, we have to worry and cater more and more to "feelings," and have more "PC" words invented or used in lieu of their just fine predecessors, so we can keep enabling to walk on egg shells so not to offend anyone who walks the earth.

(Let's keep giving those spiffy trophies to kids for coming in last place too. Because heaven forbid, someone says they lost and came in last place - keep practicing and work harder, is just too mean. Where's George Carlin when you need him? He would tell Timmy's mom that maybe if he could see his feet or not chased butterflies while in the race he might have not been in last place)

Ok I'm done. Happy early Friday.

DC wasn't forced to do anything. They didn't learn any new PC terms or think in regards to anyone's feelings.

They simply made a judgement call geared toward minimizing bad publicity.

If you want to blame anyone, blame them.

Every form of entertainment is going to achieve some form of critique - not everyone agrees with everything - but it's up to the creator or the company to decide how they want to deal with it.

Once again, If you want to blame anyone, blame the creator/company.

There's ALWAYS been groups out there protesting the 'sinful' nature of entertainment. Back in the 50's no one forced the comic book companies to create a Comics Code - they chose that route as opposed to fighting for their right to print what they wanted....

DC again choose that easier route. No one forced them.

If this is an example of anything, it's the continued corporatization of a form of media that was ignored for a little while but is now making another come back. So they're going to start taking into consideration what the vocal public says, as 'maximizing profit' is the most important thing to them.

But believe me, if anyone feels the need to support comics that don't cater to what they believe is a sterilized society, there's plenty out there. Pick up some Avatar - if you want to support free speech, there's your comic company - no way those guys are caving in to complaints from parents.

2345018-crossed_in_restaurant.pngSTK408717.jpgSTK410627.jpg

I'm not making a judgement call toward either... they are what they are.

There's plenty of different comics out there for everyone.

But I find it strange that people think our society is somehow more puritanical NOW than ever before.

Man they BURNED comics back in the day (and Beatles records) - even farther back than that they burned PEOPLE.

These days, the freedom is there to print most anything you want - DC just made a corporate decision they felt was in the best interest of their company.

Where are the people outraged over the threat of real violence directed at those protesting?

Change a comic book cover? HOW DARE THEY!

Threatened to kill someone? Whatever.

This world needs an enema.

Exactly.

CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg

Cool, but DC would never even consider publishing a Superman cover where he was the weeping, terrified, sexual subordinate to his rapist.

When did Joker rape Batgirl?

I asked this in the modern thread, but I think there was too much butthurt for anyone to respond…

Much ado about this cover and its cancellation.

BG-Cv41-Joker-variant-solicitation-88c4e-31e8d.0.0_zpsrx1gloxb.jpg

Thoughts?

Having not read anything but the original post, and knowing exactly the rehashed debate that has followed. I throw my pointless 2 cents in merely to say once more:

Political Correctness is the scourge of Western Society.

and further more, some day there will be a lot less ineffective advertising dollars available online, and I look forward to the majority of "blog" writers having to find other things to do then invent teacup tempests so like minded people can get in a big circle and all pat each other on the back...

CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg

Cool, but DC would never even consider publishing a Superman cover where he was the weeping, terrified, sexual subordinate to his rapist.

I asked this in the modern thread, but I think there was too much butthurt for anyone to respond…

The Killing Joke

CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg

Depending on the reader's interpretation Batman The Killing Joke.