• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Came Across a Copy of New Adventure Comics #26 .......

Pick One:  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One:

98 posts in this topic

Why are you talking about selling? confused.gif

Read the post you quoted--he's selling the books he upgrades.

Read it again. The $55,000 he'll never get back was in reference to his present copy of Action 1. makepoint.gif

Anybody who is into upgrading their comics is likely to think about the investment value of the current books they own, even if it's your most treasured issue. If you're upgrading once, it's reasonable to believe you might have the opportunity to upgrade again.

Why are you talking about selling? confused.gif

Read the post you quoted--he's selling the books he upgrades.

Read it again. The $55,000 he'll never get back was in reference to his present copy of Action 1. makepoint.gif

Anybody who is into upgrading their comics is likely to think about the investment value of the current books they own, even if it's your most treasured issue. If you're upgrading once, it's reasonable to believe you might have the opportunity to upgrade again.

Nice save ... gossip.gif

GPAnalysis suggests otherwise if it's a sold VF with moderate or slight resto. Again, Ian, how much work was done to the book?

The insides look untouched.

The cover has had some repair - I can see slight brushstrokes on the yellow - but it looks amazing. Harley would know its history far better than me.

If it's just color touched, you might even get Slight (P). If it slabs out at an 8.0 Slight (P), I'll bet you a New Adventure #26 that you'll get more than $55K for it.

Can you post a scan? Pretty please? I'd love to see your Detective #1 as well. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That NAC #26 is becoming a bigger thorn than locating those missing Doctor Who episodes, eh Ian?

Yeah there's still 108 of those missing. Only two have turned up in the last thirteen years. A similar situation.

Collecting can be no cause for celebration.

Listen to myself - I sound terrible, and battle-weary. Where's the fun gone ???

Not to worry, with so many people looking for the book, I'm sure it'll turn up. thumbsup2.gif

Nice save ... gossip.gif

It wasn't intended to be a "save"; that assumes I posted out of ego. I had something else in mind.

There are a LOT of collectors who think being of a mind to sell books is somehow contrary to the spirit of collecting, but a much more balanced perspective is that there's a continuous spectrum between being a collector and a seller--the two roles aren't at all mutually exclusive. I sensed that kind of black-and-white tone to your post, but upgrades are right there in the middle of pure collectors and pure sellers--ANYBODY who upgrades anything ends up having books they need to sell, so if you do enough upgrading, particularly on expensive books, you get used to caring about the value you've got in your books. Doesn't matter whether it's an Ultimate Spidey #1 white cover variant at 9.6 that you might upgrade to 9.8 one day or a coverless Action 1 that you might upgrade to a covered copy if you ever get the chance--the original investment should matter to you if you're of a mind to upgrade.

Nice save ... gossip.gif

It wasn't intended to be a "save"; that assumes I posted out of ego. I had something else in mind.

There are a LOT of collectors who think being of a mind to sell books is somehow contrary to the spirit of collecting, but a much more balanced perspective is that there's a continuous spectrum between being a collector and a seller--the two roles aren't at all mutually exclusive. I sensed that kind of black-and-white tone to your post, but upgrades are right there in the middle of pure collectors and pure sellers--ANYBODY who upgrades anything ends up having books they need to sell, so if you do enough upgrading, particularly on expensive books, you get used to caring about the value you've got in your books. Doesn't matter whether it's an Ultimate Spidey #1 white cover variant at 9.6 that you might upgrade to 9.8 one day or a coverless Action 1 that you might upgrade to a covered copy if you ever get the chance--the original investment should matter to you if you're of a mind to upgrade.

Maybe so, but that clearly wasn't what Ian was talking about when he mentioned getting his investment back on his restored Action #1. foreheadslap.gif

Hey Ian. Forget about the money. Pull five books out of your collection that you really like. Good stuff like Adventure 247, an early Green Lantern, something you bought as a kid, or anything by Sheldon Mayer, sit down with a sandwich, a bag of potato chips, and something to drink, then read those books. Remember why you (and the rest of us) love comics.

Remember also that there's half a dozen people here who have publically stated they would give you a New Adventure 26 if they're finances dictated they could do so. How many others would sell it for no personal profit, only for the satisfaction of helping you complete your collection? And only one [#@$%!!!] out there who's trying to cheat you. Consider how much business he's lost because of this thread. I'll personally never buy from him. (And I just took a new job with a big raise. More money for comics!)

But first, go read those comics. Be a kid again, one who just came home from the newstand with a new book and chocolate bar, paid for with a handful of change.

Ian! That's CRAZY TALK

You will complete your quest! Last weekend I watched a beat up copy of New Adventure 24 walk into a comic store. If a 24 can walk into a store, a 26 will surely show up. Chin up old bean!

Hey Ian. Forget about the money. Pull five books out of your collection that you really like. Good stuff like Adventure 247, an early Green Lantern, something you bought as a kid, or anything by Sheldon Mayer, sit down with a sandwich, a bag of potato chips, and something to drink, then read those books. Remember why you (and the rest of us) love comics.

Remember also that there's half a dozen people here who have publically stated they would give you a New Adventure 26 if they're finances dictated they could do so. How many others would sell it for no personal profit, only for the satisfaction of helping you complete your collection? And only one [#@$%!!!] out there who's trying to cheat you. Consider how much business he's lost because of this thread. I'll personally never buy from him. (And I just took a new job with a big raise. More money for comics!)

But first, go read those comics. Be a kid again, one who just came home from the newstand with a new book and chocolate bar, paid for with a handful of change.

Your post really cheered me up. I think I'll dig out the Inferior Five run and enjoy them like I did when I was twelve.

I'd keep it. I need one to complete my run of Pre-Hero Adventure Comics, and am looking everywhere.

That halves the odds of me finding it, and if one copy turns up and you get it, it means my DC collection may never ever get completed.

Ian! That's CRAZY TALK

You will complete your quest! Last weekend I watched a beat up copy of New Adventure 24 walk into a comic store. If a 24 can walk into a store, a 26 will surely show up. Chin up old bean!

But there never seems to be a problem finding number 24. And number 31 is enormously common.

Issues 13, 22, 26, and 27 are the four hard ones. If a 22 had walked in rather than a 24, it might have meant something more. I've seen 24 on e-Bay a couple of times.

I could have forked over the fifteen grand and completed the collection - I refused out of principle - now it's stalemate.

Ian,

I know you sometimes take a lot of flack here, but you did the right thing. thumbsup2.gif

The book was only marked up 15X Guide because the S.O.B. knew it was the last book you needed. That, by itself, will keep me from ever buying a single book from DTA (not to mention his grading is terrible & over-charging on most anything he sells seems to be his MO).

He's got the book & you don't, but he's put a price on the book no sane person will pay. He's painted into a corner and so are you: Stalemate. For him to sell the book, he's going to have to come back down to Earth with the asking price.

If you feel he is the only hope, make him a generous counter offer you can live with & let him know the offer is open until you find a copy elsewhere. Knowing this Seller, the greed factor will eventually uncloud his bad reasoning.

hi.gifflowerred.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

The book was only marked up 15X Guide because the S.O.B. knew it was the last book you needed. That, by itself, will keep me from ever buying a single book from DTA (not to mention his grading is terrible & over-charging on most anything he sells seems to be his MO).

He's got the book & you don't, but he's put a price on the book no sane person will pay. He's painted into a corner and so are you: Stalemate. For him to sell the book, he's going to have to come back down to Earth with the asking price.

If you feel he is the only hope, make him a generous counter offer you can live with & let him know the offer is open until you find a copy elsewhere. Knowing this Seller, the greed factor will eventually uncloud his bad reasoning.

He's claiming that someone else has the book and it's not his fault that they want so much for it. I don't believe a word of it.

The same supposed person also supposedly had the 27 which DTA sold me for six thousand dollars. Funny how, once he got the money, I had the book within two days. If he'd had to go out of town to collect it from some fictitious third party, it would have taken a couple of weeks.

He's claiming that someone else has the book and it's not his fault that they want so much for it. I don't believe a word of it.

The same supposed person also supposedly had the 27 which DTA sold me for six thousand dollars. Funny how, once he got the money, I had the book within two days. If he'd had to go out of town to collect it from some fictitious third party, it would have taken a couple of weeks.

Tell you what IAN - I like a good "hunt" like everyone else. I always search for your book on EBAY and other comic websites, and if I find it I will sell it to you for my cost + shipping. David T is only hurting himself; you WILL find a copy and then NO ONE will be interested in his copy (for even 1/3 of what he's asking).

Whoever said "Chin up, old bean" was right... crazy.gif

after reading the whole thread and giving it some thought - here's what i would do;

i'd buy the book for whatever it cost (no - not DTA level) and work out a deal with Ian for a few things. 1. a grand tour of his collection in England. 2. a promise to at least mention me in whatever article/articles that get written about his accomplishment. 3. an equal value exchange for my choice of whatever doubles he's willing to offer up of other GA DC's.......... cloud9.gif

so in the end, he would only pay in trade with GA doubles.......... thumbsup2.gif

now back to my real life...................

Think of it this way, Ian. You have 20-30 of the biggest collectors in the United States who are on notice to grab the book if they ever see it, with the vast majority of them willing to flip it to you at cost. Chin up, old bean! You will find it!