• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

attn artists!!! coloring a sketch cover comic

12 posts in this topic

so i found a batwoman #7 sketch cover at a local comic shop for $3 and it is not in great condition so i thought maybe i can color it!!!! just for fun of coruse!!

so all you artist out there what type of colors should i use? crayons,marker colored pencils? what will stay on the book and not smear?

It depends what type pen was used for the sketch

If its waterproof there are many colored markers you can use that are also waterproof. A slick cover will not take colored pencil well. You may have to bring the book to an art store and do some experiments.

That would be tricky to color due to all the grays-I can't think of any way to pull it off.

Go to hobby lobby (or what ever your local variant is called) and pic up some of the off-brand copic markers. IIRC the COpic brand is $50 for the 72 set (but have terrible reviews for not lasting long).

In reality though if you have never colored you need a lot of practice to understand how colors work together. I would suggest taking the cover to a copy machine, make 100 copies and buy some crayons. Also if you are at a convention in the near future strike up a conversation with Jeff Balke, dude is super friendly and will talk your ear off about being a colorist (in a good way); give him a cover and watch what he does.

The biggest mistake amateurs make is using too many colors. You can do a lot with just a few colors.

Hell look at this:

Avengers_Vol_1_57.jpg

ok so here it is my BATWOMAN #7 coloring job. i use TUL pepermanet markers with utra fine point also a few sharpies and prismacolor.

feedback is welcomed! it was for fun anyway!

10f5h5z.jpg[/img]