• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 45, Dont believe the hype ?:?!!

147 posts in this topic

this book is common in high grade

and prices will fall after the movie, esp if the movie tanks or even if it does well

be real interesting to see what a 9.8 would go for now

It's not just "a movie". Marvel is seeding the Inhumans

in all three of its media fronts. Waiting for this book to "get cheap" again probably means you won't own this book.

-J.

Tulip mania doh!

Yes I'm bitter. I'm not willing to pay these prices to complete my collection because of the frenzy around the MCU. I'll just wait till all the speculators have moved on and pick one up at a reasonable price.

People keep saying that but the amount of collectors that are waiting for better prices will keep the demand high and the price right along with it. Yes prices might drop a bit, but I think silver age books aren't bottoming out any time soon.

We shall see.

I'm getting all sorts of price resistance on all sorts of Silver Age material.

If the market was as free-wheeling as it was in the 90's, that stuff would have been gone, at full asking, and then some.

This sounds interesting. Can you provide more detail if it's not too much trouble?

and prices will fall after the movie, esp if the movie tanks or even if it does well

I'm not sure I would call it "common" in high grade...

Folks can say all they want that prices will come right down after the movies come out but the same thing was said about the guardians books and they all stayed pretty high after the movie passed. (Still cant get a Hulk 271 for under $100 and before the movie it was $5 and the first Groot is still way up there) And I wish that it were true as I would love to be able to buy some of these books Would love the prices to drop for FF 45 etc so I can get a nice copy. . Maybe they come down for modern stuff but the silver and early bronze age books high prices for these characters are here to stay. They may drop slightly but in my opinion you will never see these drop back down to affordable again. As someone above said, if your waiting for them to get cheap again (like me) you will probably never own some of these books.

in all three of its media fronts. Waiting for this book to "get cheap" again probably means you won't own this book.

-J.

Exactly. Good article here on how Disney goes beyond movies when they plan stuff out.

How Disney is getting 1 million downloads a day for mobile games.

The magnitude of how popular the Marvel characters are is now mind-boggling.

They have never been this popular. We are in new territory.

Also the Inhumans will feel fresh with its Game of Thrones twist, similar to how the Guardians of the Galaxy seem fresh and new.

This isn`t DC making a one and done bomb like Green Lantern. We can probably expect a trilogy of Inhuman movies.

I know the bubble will eventually pop, but we got a ways to go.

Tulip mania doh!

Yes I'm bitter. I'm not willing to pay these prices to complete my collection because of the frenzy around the MCU. I'll just wait till all the speculators have moved on and pick one up at a reasonable price.

History repeats itself, is the nineties all over again.

lol I'm such a naysayer. Is the Yorkshireman in me.

I was thinking about your quote, and it made me realize that this movie hyped bubble has now lasted longer than the 90s bubble. :o

Let`s look at them.

1990s bubble begins around 91/92.

Hits its peak by 1993 about the time Superman #500 comes out.

By 1995 it`s over, as the bubble popped. :cry:

So,the 1990s bubble maybe lasted 4 years tops.

Let`s now look at the movie bubble.

For argument`s sake we pick 2008 when the first Iron Man movie came out.

We could go back farther with the Spider-Man and X-Men movies, but for now we will use Iron Man in 2008.

Well, that's 7 years ago.

The 90s bubble lasted maybe 4 years, while the movie hyped bubble is 7 years and ongoing.

What this tells me Hollywood is a whole lot more powerful than the Wizard ever was.

;)

-J.

Well said.

It's what I was trying to convey in my earlier post.

Tulip mania doh!

History repeats itself, is the nineties all over again.

lol I'm such a naysayer. Is the Yorkshireman in me.

I was thinking about your quote, and it made me realize that this movie hyped bubble has now lasted longer than the 90s bubble. :o

Let`s look at them.

1990s bubble begins around 91/92.

Hits its peak by 1993 about the time Superman #500 comes out.

By 1995 it`s over, as the bubble popped. :cry:

So,the 1990s bubble maybe lasted 4 years tops.

Let`s now look at the movie bubble.

We could go back farther with the Spider-Man and X-Men movies, but for now we will use Iron Man in 2008.

The 90s bubble lasted maybe 4 years, while the movie hyped bubble is 7 years and ongoing.

What this tells me Hollywood is a whole lot more powerful than the Wizard ever was.

;)

And if the next "phase" of movies are as popular as the first phase, we have what, 14 more years of Marvel movies?

These characters aren't going away any time soon.

....Let`s now look at the movie bubble.

;)

I'd put it later than that, going into overdrive in 2012 after the Thanos reveal at the end of the first Avengers film, and Iron Man 55 frenzy.

I purchased a FF46 in 9.0 a few years back for around $100. But heck the last one on C-Link went for $1,250.

I think it might be time to sell that puppy.

I think it still has a much higher ceiling to hit.

My opinion, anyways.

I purchased a FF46 in 9.0 a few years back for around $100. But heck the last one on C-Link went for $1,250.

My opinion, anyways.

I believe it,

but to say guardians books have maintained value during thier movie->dvd peak to now is a little silly.

they've cooled off quite a bit, just like X-Factor 6 in 9.8 cooled off.

the guardians books haven't been tough sales but are cooling off.

and i sadly admit walmarts couldnt give away their Starlord masks/guardians clearance toys this christams, not even LEGO MILANO a $80 set got as cheap as $20 in most stores and sat..

after christmas but the Wolverine masks and Hulk fists sell for $20-30 each like hotcakes.. for 25 years and counting

while the same lego sets of wolverine and hulk sell out pretty fast..

i dunno but I like to surf

My opinion, anyways.

I believe it,

but to say guardians books have maintained value during thier movie->dvd peak to now is a little silly.

The fact that a book doesnt hold its absolute peak, doesnt mean it went back to where it was. The guardians books will never be anywhere close to where they used to be, nor will FF45/46.

I dont think anyone on these boards believe books that see big rises will hold their tops, regardless of the reason for their rises.

But the guys sitting there thinking its just "hype" that will "go away once superhero movie fatigue sets in", are equivalent to saying amazon stock is going back to where it was in 1995, now that the dotcom bubble has burst.

Mania will die down, overvalued books will come off their highs. But a generational shift in relevance and interest in certain characters has occurred. Bad superhero movies and mania prices will fade away, but what Marvel has done is permanent, and books like Guardians firsts and Inhuman firsts, etc, will never EVER go back to what they were.

My opinion, anyways.

I believe it,

The fact that a book doesnt hold its absolute peak, doesnt mean it went back to where it was. The guardians books will never be anywhere close to where they used to be, nor will FF45/46.

I dont think anyone on these boards believe books that see big rises will hold their tops, regardless of the reason for their rises.

But the guys sitting there thinking its just "hype" that will "go away once superhero movie fatigue sets in", are equivalent to saying amazon stock is going back to where it was in 1995, now that the dotcom bubble has burst.

Mania will die down, overvalued books will come off their highs. But a generational shift in relevance and interest in certain characters has occurred. Bad superhero movies and mania prices will fade away, but what Marvel has done is permanent, and books like Guardians firsts and Inhuman firsts, etc, will never EVER go back to what they were.

+1

This isn't the 90's, this is a collector's market that is driven by nostalgia and the internet. The movie success has put comics into the forefront, but comics are just part of a bigger hobby boom that exists now because of the accessibility of community and trade. Go look at other hobbies that are booming because of the internet - sports cards are doing just fine and they died in the 90s as well.

It can surely be, to a good degree. Especially when new collectors and younger readers get to appreciate the substance of the content.

But honestly a book like FF #45 that gets such a spike in value, and – for example – this is even more true for Avengers #54-55… they should just get back to more affordable prices – after all at these prices a relatively little slice of collectors is willing to buy them in high grade.

But honestly a book like FF #45 that gets such a spike in value, and – for example – this is even more true for Avengers #54-55… they should just get back to more affordable prices – after all at these prices a relatively little slice of collectors is willing to buy them in high grade.

Villain books never retain value, because they are one offs, and once they dead, they dead. But Inhumans and Guardians of the Galaxy are heroes. These characters are permanently a part of pop culture in ways they never were before, and a new generation is growing up with them as the heroes they watched in movies, played with as toys, and bought comic books for.

All quickly rising prices, comic books or other wise, will see pull backs. But there are permanent pecking order realignments happening, and some people tend to have blinders on because they watched hyped up books sore and crash. The error is thinking this is more of just that.

Markets change over time, and permanent change is being wrought on the market by Marvel, both in comicbooks, and in cinema. Everybody else is playing catch up in the Cinema world, and not everyone has caught on yet in the comic book world.