• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #67 reprint from 1994 CGC 9.8 sells for $236 on ComicLink !!

25 posts in this topic

I get that Warlock is really popular right now, but why would a REPRINT of his 1st appearance get $236?

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp%3Fpg%3D7&id=1049370

$236 sounds about right to me, given how hot the original book is now.....and add this into the equation:

That book was a JC Penney 1993 mail order catalog only reprint, the print run on all of those books was very low, in relation to the much more readily available Marvel Masterworks reprints from the mid 90's.

All of the reprints in the JC Penney series (Avengers 4, Sgt Fury 13 etc) are identifiable by their silver borders and a full back cover ad for Stridex, otherwise they are exact replica editions.Like I said, they weren't mass produced like the Marvel Masterworks reprints of the 1990's so yeah, there is demand for short printed, late copper books that represent an obtainable means of getting one's hands on a slabbed 9.8 silver age key book.

I get that Warlock is really popular right now, but why would a REPRINT of his 1st appearance get $236?

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp%3Fpg%3D7&id=1049370

$236 sounds about right to me, given how hot the original book is now.....and add this into the equation:

That book was a JC Penney 1993 mail order catalog only reprint, the print run on all of those books was very low, in relation to the much more readily available Marvel Masterworks reprints from the mid 90's.

All of the reprints in the JC Penney series (Avengers 4, Sgt Fury 13 etc) are identifiable by their silver borders and a full back cover ad for Stridex, otherwise they are exact replica editions.Like I said, they weren't mass produced like the Marvel Masterworks reprints of the 1990's so yeah, there is demand for short printed, late copper books that represent an obtainable means of getting one's hands on a slabbed 9.8 silver age key book.

$236 for a reprint from 1994 seems like an outlier rather than what should normally be expected regardless of the print run.

It's not a crazy price. When warlock is officially announced the original 67 in high grade will explode leaving lots of collectors high and dry. The reprint is quite beautiful and actually looks better than the original because the cover is brilliantly bright white. If not for the Stridex ad on the back it would be a perfect substitute for the original when it gets completely out of reach.

That is not a surprise.

Look up Marvel's Greatest Comics: Fantastic Four #52 or Fantastic Four #52 reprint.

It is only a matter of time before the reprints are out of reach for most.

I agree. The newer breed of collector doesn't have the connection to the Silver Age that some of us have. So for $236 they can have a dingy looking 7.0 copy. Or a shock white 9.8 copy. It may not be the choice I would make, but (shrug)

That is not a surprise.

Look up Marvel's Greatest Comics: Fantastic Four #52 or Fantastic Four #52 reprint.

I agree. The newer breed of collector doesn't have the connection to the Silver Age that some of us have. So for $236 they can have a dingy looking 7.0 copy. Or a shock white 9.8 copy. It may not be the choice I would make, but (shrug)

This has been going on for several years, but one collector actually told me what he planned to do with the reprint I sold him.

He said he was storing his high grade copies and replacing them on the wall with reprints so he could still display the book without his high grade key copy taking any damage.

I am sure there are other reasons, but I have made good money on reprints for years and done especially well the last 2 years.

That is not a surprise.

If the newer breed of collector doesn't have a connection to the Silver Age, one might ask why they are buying a copy of FF 67 at all. :baiting:

That is not a surprise.

If the newer breed of collector doesn't have a connection to the Silver Age, one might ask why they are buying a copy of FF 67 at all. :baiting:

Movie hype. Connection to the Marvel Universe of movies. Connection to the material, but a desire to have a pristine looking copy. As I said, it's not the way I collect, but it is happening. Here is my dingy copy:

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=7725&GSub=632

That is not a surprise.

I think you misunderstood what Sean was implying i.e. newer collectors who don't have a distinct affinity towards collecting silver age books still desire silver Marvel keys which are directly relevant to current Marvel storylines.

FF67 ties into current Marvel continuity big time and with it being Warlock's first appearance, that ties directly into all of the Thanos stories...let alone the fact that FF 67 is a movie hype book....there you have it.

It's the only 9.8 there is (for now.)

$236 is nothing for "the only 9.8"

That is not a surprise.

Alright, which one of you hijacked Hamlet's account...?

Everyone knows Hamlet doesn't reply at the bottom....

:D

That is not a surprise.

Alright, which one of you hijacked Hamlet's account...?

Everyone knows Hamlet doesn't reply at the bottom....

:D

I finally had someone directly ask me to post on the bottom, without being so clever about it that I didn't understand what they were talking about :)

I'm still forgetting sometimes, but I'm trying to correct the habit.

All of the reprints in the JC Penney series (Avengers 4, Sgt Fury 13 etc) are identifiable by their silver borders

What silver borders are you referring to...?

Ah, My mistake.The 1993 JC Penney reprints all had silver borders, I did not even look at the pic in the first post as I had assumed this FF 67 reprint was a JC Penney reprint, like this Avengers 4 that I own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201319533341?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

All of the reprints in the JC Penney series (Avengers 4, Sgt Fury 13 etc) are identifiable by their silver borders

What silver borders are you referring to...?

Ah, My mistake.The 1993 JC Penney reprints all had silver borders, I did not even look at the pic in the first post as I had assumed this FF 67 reprint was a JC Penney reprint, like this Avengers 4 that I own:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201319533341?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

There are 20 books in the 1993 JCP/stridex set. Other than the MME's which had silver borders to begin with, the Avengers 4 is the only other book to have a silver border.

The FF 67 is from the 1994 JCP set and none of them have silver borders.