• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Seller Issue...

257 posts in this topic

About two months ago I purchased a high grade raw copy of one of my favorite Strange Tales through eBay. Before bidding I contacted the seller to make sure the book was restoration free. After receiving word back, I felt confident that I was buying an unrestored book.

A week later I receive the book and immediately sent it off to CGC for grading. Another two weeks passed and I noticed in the invoice of my sub it said "book trimmed." Of course I panicked and contacted CGC and the seller right away. Fortunately I was able to cancel the order before it was graded, but I still lost out on the shipping. The seller claimed to be completely unaware and told me that he bought the book in a huge collection many years before CGC or any grading company opened their doors. He was in complete denial that the book had been trimmed, but he agreed to giving me a full refund.

It's been about a month now, but I'm still searching for a high grade copy of this book. Yesterday when I was scanning through eBay I stumbled across a really nice looking copy and then I noticed that it was the same book I bought months before. The seller did not include the fact that the book has been trimmed.

From this point I'm not exactly sure what to do. Now this guy has me wondering if he knew the book was trimmed the whole time and still sold it as unrestored. I really just don't want anyone to have to spend the money and go through what I went through just to be disappointed and lose money.

Any thoughts? And I still haven't left feedback for this guy, just in case something similar to this was to happen.

unfortunately, the cost for shipping to CGC is out of Ebay's hands. the seller should pay for the shipping to have the book sent back to him if there are discrepancies that he failed to disclosed . now with that being said, there are a few sellers on Feebay that as soon as i see the name or the same location and background come up when i click on the picture, i click the backspace faster than you can say" Holy restored, Batman". if you search through the forum i am pretty sure you can find stuff about some of these sellers. the worst ones are the ones that bury 3-word sentence that is critical about the book in a 3-page-paragraph descriptions of the item. good luck.

About three months ago I purchased a high grade raw copy of one of my favorite Strange Tales through eBay. Before bidding I contacted the seller to make sure the book was restoration free. After receiving word back, I felt confident that I was buying an unrestored book.

A week later I receive the book and immediately sent it off to CGC for grading. Another week passed and I noticed in the invoice of my sub it said "book trimmed." Of course I panicked and contacted CGC and the seller right away. Fortunately I was able to cancel the order before it was graded, but I still lost out on the shipping. The seller claimed to be completely unaware and told me that he bought the book in a huge collection many years before CGC or any grading company opened their doors. He was in complete denial that the book had been trimmed, but he agreed to giving me a full refund.

It's been about a month now, but I'm still searching for a high grade copy of this book. Yesterday when I was scanning through eBay I stumbled across a really nice looking copy and then I noticed that it was the same book I bought months before. The seller did not include the fact that the book has been trimmed.

From this point I'm not exactly sure what to do. Now this guy has me wondering if he knew the book was trimmed the whole time and still sold it as unrestored. I really just don't want anyone to have to spend the money and go through what I went through just to be disappointed and lose money.

Any thoughts? And I still haven't left feedback for this guy, just in case something similar to this was to happen.

First off, give the seller a negative feedback under the listing that you bought from him, stating the book was restored.

If he had any business ethics in the first place and honestly thought the book was not trimmed, he would have reimbursed you for return shipping.....it's clear to see now that he is fine with ripping off another eBayer, by listing the book again, knowing it has been trimmed,....the guy richly deserves a negative.

And report him to ebay, for listing the same book again, as unrestored.

Post up his name here as well and in the blacklist thread, so others will know to avoid him.

Sounds good. It's really surprising because he has a ton of positive feedback.

I'll do just that.

Where should I post his ebay username?

Here is a link to the relisted book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L0217-Strange-Tales-107-Vol-1-VF-Condition-/351354119849?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Thanks for the replies!

Al

I asked him if the book was restored or trimmed. His response:

The previous winner on this lot, claims that he sent the book to CGC,

and he says they claimed it was trimmed. However, the book was not

returned in any graded holder, and it look exactly the way it was sent

to him.

The book was purchased years ago, before there was grading; in a large

lot, when the book was not worth a lot of money, and would not have

added any significant value if it was trimmed or restored.

I also showed it to a very knowledgeable NYC dealer, and he could not

see any trimming or reduction, or restoration.

I'm trying to be completely honest in this matter, and would suggest if

you have any questions, please do not bid on the lot.

I didn't let CGC finish stabbing it because I didn't want to waste the $60 getting it graded. I called and asked CGC to cancel the sub and cut my losses on the shipping.

I'll be happy to post a screenshot of the invoice which mentions the trim.

He also sent me an email after receiving my negative feedback.

Here it is:

"I'm still trying to find out why CGC said the book was trimmed.

The book was purchased years ago, from a prominent auction dealer here

on Long Island; before there was grading; in a large lot, when the book

was not worth a lot of money, and would not have added any significant

value if it was trimmed or restored.

see any trimming or reduction, or restoration. He also showed me a book

he had graded by CGC, and when he resubmitted the book, in it's holder,

the new grading service found numerous restoration, that CGC missed! I

don't take any of these grading services as 100% infallible.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, I will gladly talk to

you on the phone...

Awaiting your phone call.

Bob at ColonialSCS

PS: If you have any comics for sale, I would gladly purchase from you.

Bob"

I asked him if the book was restored or trimmed. His response:

The previous winner on this lot, claims that he sent the book to CGC,

and he says they claimed it was trimmed. However, the book was not

returned in any graded holder, and it look exactly the way it was sent

to him.

The book was purchased years ago, before there was grading; in a large

lot, when the book was not worth a lot of money, and would not have

added any significant value if it was trimmed or restored.

see any trimming or reduction, or restoration.

I'm trying to be completely honest in this matter, and would suggest if

you have any questions, please do not bid on the lot.

Same answer I got.He must have copied and pasted.

I am just curious what dimensions CGC goes by?

I found this on a few pages on the web and according to what I am understanding SilverAge varies by sometimes a 1/4"

(Silver, Bronze and Modern comics are usually between 10 and 10 1/4 inches tall and about 6 3/4 inches wide. Prior to this there wasn't really a standard and sizes fluctuated between titles and publishers, but they were often larger than these dimensions.)

So if it were me I would want to know what the CGC standards are as far as book size before they can say it was trimmed. Just my 2c

Do they give a 1/4" leeway as far as size of the book?