• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last six mystery back covers, Five ID's, #6 tentatively identified

49 posts in this topic

Hello Golden Agers,

Picked up a box of bits and shards this weekend, and I'm having a great time sorting through everything.

There's a pile of coverless stuff, a pile of complete front and back covers, a pile of front covers only, and a pile of back covers only,

Going through everything I MAY have a complete New Adventure 24, and I MAY have the front and back covers to Amazing Man 7, and I MAY have front and back covers to Detective 33, but I need scans of the back covers of each to narrow down the possibilities.

Any chance any of you swell folks have scans of any of the three?

Many thanks,

Rick

catrick339

I LOVE finds like that. A whole lot of fun trying to piece together books and cheap reading! If you have either or both of the covers to Amazing Man #7 and don't find the book in the pile and would like to sell it, I'm your guy. I've got a decent coverless copy that needs a cover. PM me if you're interested.

Heya Robotman, I definitely have the FC to Amazing Man 7, and there are (at least) two possibilities for the BC in the stack, and both of them are advertising Centaur books.

But the spine edge of the FC is kinda chewed, I can't for certain match either one of them up to the FC and be confident about it.

We'll see if anybody has a BC scan in the hopper.

Okay! That eliminates the 'tec 33 from the possibilities of a matchup,

many thanks Primetime!

sure (thumbs u

Heh, I was kind of hopeful, I have several other Johnson Smith & Co back covers with advertisements, and a few firework ads to boot.

This is going to be FUN!

Okay! That eliminates the 'tec 33 from the possibilities of a matchup,

many thanks Primetime!

sure (thumbs u

Heh, I was kind of hopeful, I have several other Johnson Smith & Co back covers with advertisements, and a few firework ads to boot.

This is going to be FUN!

the key to the Johnson and Smith ads is to check the dept number as they are different from most BCs. Have fun :)

Hotcha! That's IT! (Does a little dance)

I have the complete cover to Amazing Man 7!

My best thanks to you, BB-Gun!

Hot dang, I'm two for three.

Complete cover to New Adventure 24 is in the house!

Great kudos to you, Ciorac!

Now if I can just confirm that I have the proper interior I'm in like Flynn.

Certainly all the contents line up well, but the GCD hasn't got that one documented.

Back to digging.

Alas. I've confirmed the comic to be New Adventure 25. CF is missing to boot.

Still, not a bad afternoon of sorting fun!

Just confirmed that I have a loose centerfold to Green Mask 1, so there's that.

All reet!

I believe I have managed to identify nearly all the shards.

Included in this mess were loose centerfolds to Top Notch 6, what I believe to be Cyclone Comics 1 (Still need positive ID but it looks promising) Zip Comics 1, Amazing with a witch story featuring Mighty Man (10? 20?), Top Notch 14, Flash Comics 9 (needs confirmation) and Marvel Mystery 4. Nice haul on the CF's (and I expect my PM envelope to start flashing nearly instantaneously, lol )

Well, I'm down to the last few back covers. They're all 1939/1940 vintage, I'm thinking, I'm hoping some of you Ace Detectives can help me out with the last few.

I'm going to post scans of the last six mystery bits and hope for the best. I expect that a couple will be easy, the balance? Not so much.

First up

Inside BC is a Jonson Smith ad. code 8K11

VWJLIlJ.jpg