• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think its ok to flip a book at a Con where you bought it?

81 posts in this topic

Well said Roy, just remember returning the favor when I'm the buyer. Somehow it doesn't aways work out that way.

:blush:

yeah, agreed, but the first day is often the best day for getting those mispriced books...it's just a problem getting them in much volume. fine if you're looking for 100-150 books to sell here or on ebay, not so much for filling a table.

i think the concept works better if there is another show the next week, but the premise is getting that sunday for free. frankly i could imagine that not being so impossible if you can provide lodging for the other days for free, it would be a good tradeoff for some folks.

Sez the guy with the 12 room house and plenty of rooms for tents hm

Biggest problem I can see with that concept is that Sunday is often a deep discount day where guys who have made money want to lighten their load out and others are desperate to make their nut.

Is this actually true anymore? I never see people selling stuff cheaper on Sunday than any other day, unless they are truly trying to get rid of the books, and its usually a bunch of junque that no ones wants.

If this were true, and they had any good books, dealers would buy them out before the show started.

I wonder if this is related to the shear number of Cons that occur now a days. A dealer's stock that doesn't sell on Sunday becomes Friday stock in a couple weeks when the next Con opens up. I think I picked up 7 or 8 advertisements for local Cons at the Canton Con last week. There must be some good money to be made putting on Cons considering how many are popping up.

Biggest problem I can see with that concept is that Sunday is often a deep discount day where guys who have made money want to lighten their load out and others are desperate to make their nut.

Is this actually true anymore? I never see people selling stuff cheaper on Sunday than any other day, unless they are truly trying to get rid of the books, and its usually a bunch of junque that no ones wants.

If this were true, and they had any good books, dealers would buy them out before the show started.

This is true. I also don't see anyone blowing out stock to "make their nut" on Sundays. Just no reason for it anymore w/many outlets to sell.

Is it ok to flip a book right back to the guy you just bought it from?

Like if you buy a book then show him breaking news they are making a movie about that character.

Like if you buy a book then show him breaking news they are making a movie about that character.

That would earn you a Black Belt in Dealer Fu........ GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In some other thread about selling at cons I asked the question why do dealers give each other discounts. If I remember correctly the majority of responses were that moving a large number of books for a smaller profit quickly is sometimes better than taking a much longer time to sell the same books at a bigger profit.

I don't discount to dealers anymore than I do to customers. It all depends on the book as to what that discount is, and what I have in it.

That being said, I love to sell books to dealers. They are the best sort of customers, because they have money, and they come back over and over.

And no, there is nothing wrong with flipping a book at a show you bought it at. I am sure that a lot of the books that I buy that walk up to the table were probably purchased at the show.

Yes. (thumbs u

This is true. I also don't see anyone blowing out stock to "make their nut" on Sundays. Just no reason for it anymore w/many outlets to sell.

i definitely do it with my $2 table boxes a lot. But not for wall books, unless im tired and just want to go home.

I had somebody steal a book from me and try and sell it to me a few hours later.

I had somebody steal a book from me and try and sell it to me a few hours later.

did he still have his teeth when he left the con, or was he decorated with handcuffs?

I found back in the eighties at Chicago Con in the Ramada I could always get a better deal on Sunday after I scoped out the books I wanted on Saturday.

This quickly became a flawed strategy as on Sunday, most of them were gone. :sorry:

did he still have his teeth when he left the con, or was he decorated with handcuffs?

He was found later..... in a laundry chute. GOD BLESS...

He was found later..... in a laundry chute. GOD BLESS...

Did he at least sell the book? Or keep it?