• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think its ok to flip a book at a Con where you bought it?

81 posts in this topic

For me I guess the discount would depend on what you are buying. Obviously, it it's a hot book there is a very slight (if any) discount. Dealer or not. Nobody is giving their stuff away at a con. It also depends on how much I need the money or if it is a cash deal. I personally don't mind if anyone makes a little off me. Keeps 'em coming back for more. Just don't think you are going to grab all my hot books cheap before the show even opens.

....you give discounts....?

:o

You can choose to curate the museum or run the gift shop. It's all about the turn for me, so I choose the latter.

+100

I just want it gone at a price i can make money on.

Me too. It's not like it's hard to find this stuff.

In some other thread about selling at cons I asked the question why do dealers give each other discounts. If I remember correctly the majority of responses were that moving a large number of books for a smaller profit quickly is sometimes better than taking a much longer time to sell the same books at a bigger profit.

for the same reason that many people here would give a nice discount if you are buying 25 $100 books off their thread.

But I think people would be less inclined to offer a discount on the boards if you were running a sales thread at the same time as theirs and there was a good chance the same books would be back up for sale at a higher price within minutes of the person agreeing to the deal which seems very common at the Cons.

I saw a dealer run over and grab 5 copies of the first Bobba Fett (mag) from another dealer 2 rows over. The books were marked at $8 a piece and the dealers till asked for a nice discount (which he got). It almost seems like the animal kingdom where the stronger dealers are feeding off the weaker ones.

....I feel awkward re-listing books I got on the boards...don't know why. I recently had a thread where books were sold out of necessity, and I felt kind of guilty still.... so I get what you're saying. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

how can you re-list something here you just bought here when you don't even have it yet? how do you know it is what it is? (i know you CAN, but people here would be right to question whether you can honestly list it as described)

You can choose to curate the museum or run the gift shop. It's all about the turn for me, so I choose the latter.

+100

Exactly.

I love my museum.

:cloud9:

I could never run a shop or be a dealer. My blood pressure and heart race go ballistic just handing books to creators to sign.

The thought of meatheads pawing through my books, ding'ing them up, turning 9.8s into 9.2s?

:eek:

No thank you.

+100

Exactly.

I love my museum.

I could never run a shop or be a dealer. My blood pressure and heart race go ballistic just handing books to creators to sign.

The thought of meatheads pawing through my books, ding'ing them up, turning 9.8s into 9.2s?

No thank you.

Start smoking pot & get some "tribal" tattoos, and you are the next Chuck Rozanski.

:baiting::D

-slym ( :jokealert: )

+100

Exactly.

I love my museum.

No thank you.

Really??? Every person I have ever seen looking through boxes of comics treats them like they were their own :frustrated:

I think it is poor taste to buy books and resell them at the same show. It's a free country of course, but I won't do it.

I hate selling to dealers early, it feels like I am leaving money on the table, if I do, I won't discount much. I tell them to come back at 3 and see if the books are still there, they usually are not.

Late in the show, if someone wants to buy my picked over dollar boxes in bulk, no problem. It actually happens quite a bit.

I am the guy that gets a table just to make the scene and get in early to buy for my collection. If I sell lots of stuff, that's a bonus. I price my books aggressively so that side usually take care of itself.

good discussion

As long as you were happy with the profit you got why begrudge someone else making their bit?

Everyone gets to dip their soldiers in the egg. Over time it all evens out anyways.

I have no idea what that means, but I think I like it. hm

As long as you were happy with the profit you got why begrudge someone else making their bit?

Everyone gets to dip their soldiers in the egg. Over time it all evens out anyways.

I have no idea what that means, but I think I like it. hm

I think it is related to this. Not sure though.

FNM_040110-Insert-019_s4x3.jpg

It would be interesting to see if you could actually make money this way: find a scenario for a 3 day show where a dealer does not want to stay for/sell on sunday and you can slide into their table for free. perhaps helping them a bit on friday/saturday, providing lodging if in town, whatever.

run around on friday/saturday trying to buy a table worth of books (i know, this is easier on sunday for bulk deals, but there has been a lot of cherry picking by then). frantically re-price them each night in anticipation of marking up the sticker price 200-600% to try and sell on Sunday.

of course, you have to shop smart, but you know at every show there is some book selling for $2 at one table that sells for $10-15 at another and the instances of $1 books being $3 books elsewhere are pretty common. there is a lot of potential arbitrage. could be tough to buy a table worth of books this way though.

if they are books you don't mind taking home with you it is a win win scenario, minus the time spent.

harder top do it on the big ticket items I would think.

Biggest problem I can see with that concept is that Sunday is often a deep discount day where guys who have made money want to lighten their load out and others are desperate to make their nut.

yeah, agreed, but the first day is often the best day for getting those mispriced books...it's just a problem getting them in much volume. fine if you're looking for 100-150 books to sell here or on ebay, not so much for filling a table.

i think the concept works better if there is another show the next week, but the premise is getting that sunday for free. frankly i could imagine that not being so impossible if you can provide lodging for the other days for free, it would be a good tradeoff for some folks.

I think it is poor taste to buy books and resell them at the same show. It's a free country of course, but I won't do it.

Why does it matter what someone does to a book after you sell it and get your agreed upon price for it?

If someone buys a book from me they can do whatever they want with it after our deal is done, including sell it for multiples if they feel they can get it.

I hate selling to dealers early, it feels like I am leaving money on the table, if I do, I won't discount much. I tell them to come back at 3 and see if the books are still there, they usually are not.

What's wrong with leaving a little money on the table? Nobody can squeeze every penny out of an inventory, not even the most ambitious of dealers. (shrug)

In some other thread about selling at cons I asked the question why do dealers give each other discounts. If I remember correctly the majority of responses were that moving a large number of books for a smaller profit quickly is sometimes better than taking a much longer time to sell the same books at a bigger profit.

I don't discount to dealers anymore than I do to customers. It all depends on the book as to what that discount is, and what I have in it.

That being said, I love to sell books to dealers. They are the best sort of customers, because they have money, and they come back over and over.

And no, there is nothing wrong with flipping a book at a show you bought it at. I am sure that a lot of the books that I buy that walk up to the table were probably purchased at the show.

Biggest problem I can see with that concept is that Sunday is often a deep discount day where guys who have made money want to lighten their load out and others are desperate to make their nut.

Is this actually true anymore? I never see people selling stuff cheaper on Sunday than any other day, unless they are truly trying to get rid of the books, and its usually a bunch of junque that no ones wants.

If this were true, and they had any good books, dealers would buy them out before the show started.