• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Please Silver Surfer # 1 9.2 or FF #50 9.2?

29 posts in this topic

It's a very hard decision. I keep going back and forth. I'm probably 55/45 for FF #50. I tend to like the brown cover, the fantastic four connection, and the fact that the census numbers are much lower in 9.2 and higher.

Both are great books making the decision almost impossible.

Sounds like you've made your decision to me. You're going to have to look at it every day. Pick the cover you like best. Get it because you love it, not because it's an investment.

I'm sure the vast majority of the collectors here have some high dollar books. I know I do. They're worth a lot of money. The problem is you have to be able to live with selling them, which I know I can't. So it's not really an investment if you don't ever intend to part with it.

Having 50,000 shares of AAPL is fantastic if you cash out. If not, you just own 50,000 shares of AAPL.

Exactly my point. ;)

Vaillant, you and I would be fast friends sir. :)

They're both great covers. If it's me, I'm all about Silver Surfer #1. But, as someone also mentioned above, Surfer #4 is quite amazing too. It's been my favorite comic book cover (period) for years.

Good luck! Pick the one you like best (always good advice).

Silver Surfer 4 is probably my favorite cover of the Silver age.

It's a very hard decision. I keep going back and forth. I'm probably 55/45 for FF #50. I tend to like the brown cover, the fantastic four connection, and the fact that the census numbers are much lower in 9.2 and higher.

Sounds like you've made your decision to me. You're going to have to look at it every day. Pick the cover you like best. Get it because you love it, not because it's an investment.

I'm sure the vast majority of the collectors here have some high dollar books. I know I do. They're worth a lot of money. The problem is you have to be able to live with selling them, which I know I can't. So it's not really an investment if you don't ever intend to part with it.

Having 50,000 shares of AAPL is fantastic if you cash out. If not, you just own 50,000 shares of AAPL.

AAPL pays a $1.88/share dividend. You could live pretty comfortably on 50000 shares of AAPL and never sell a share.

I vote for the FF50. I'd also like to suggest FF55. That's not a bad cover either.

Pick the cover you like best? How about picking the comic you like best? (shrug)

As a collector of comics, rather than just comic covers, I prefer FF50. While the Surfer 1 has excellent John Buscema art and offers a giant-size helping of it, for me the Kirby cover and interior art and Galactus-driven story line of the FF ish can't be beat. Yes, SS1 has a solo Surfer story, but the first of these is actually in FF Annual 5.

Someone referred earlier to the relative scarcity of the Surfer 1 compared to the FF50. With 117 copies on the census in 9.4 or better, the SS1 is in fact far more common in NM shape than the FF50, which only has 23 submissions in that grade or better.

FF #50. Best Surfer cover ever.

Finally, I was waiting for someone to vote FF #50 as I was reading.

Fantastic Four #50 is my pick too! That is the comic I would buy, don't forget Johnny Storm heads to college and Wyatt Wingfoot. lol

But seriously, I like how Surfer appears to be coming right out of the cover on FF #50, also it being a little older would help with my decision if it were me. I love 12 cent Marvels.

Exactly my point. ;)

Vaillant, you and I would be fast friends sir. :)

To feel comfortable, when and if I buy additional copies, it has to be a book I love – I could not buy an extra book to keep and eventually resell if it holds no value to me. :shrug:

Pick the cover you like best? How about picking the comic you like best? (shrug)

As a collector of comics, rather than just comic covers, I prefer FF50. While the Surfer 1 has excellent John Buscema art and offers a giant-size helping of it, for me the Kirby cover and interior art and Galactus-driven story line of the FF ish can't be beat. Yes, SS1 has a solo Surfer story, but the first of these is actually in FF Annual 5.

Someone referred earlier to the relative scarcity of the Surfer 1 compared to the FF50. With 117 copies on the census in 9.4 or better, the SS1 is in fact far more common in NM shape than the FF50, which only has 23 submissions in that grade or better.

And Robert’s viewpoint surely has a lot of weight, considered he collected super-high grade copies… if he says "look at the book", you must listen! :D

FF48 - Horrible Cover (if it was not the first appearance of SS it would be in the $ bin)

FF - 50 The floating heads, bland surfer, and the PIP box is a distraction

SS 1 - Iconic cover

SS 4 - One of the best covers of the Silver Age

When I was 10, that SS1 hung over the door and every time I noticed it. That should be your answer to which cover.

FF48 - Horrible Cover (if it was not the first appearance of SS it would be in the $ bin)

FF - 50 The floating heads, bland surfer, and the PIP box is a distraction

SS 1 - Iconic cover

SS 4 - One of the best covers of the Silver Age

When I was 10, that SS1 hung over the door and every time I noticed it. That should be your answer to which cover.

I love the cover to FF 48 :cloud9:

Back to the OP, I would go with FF 50, classic Kirby Surfer. If left to me though, I would go with the first cover appearance on FF 49, one of my favorite silver age covers!