• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare is really getting rare!

6 posts in this topic

2014 was by far the worst year for me finding rare comics since I started this journey in 1991. You guys did not see me much on here last year because I had nothing to post! All the places that I find rare comics are drying up. The conventions are of no use. I knew that each year it would get harder and harder but it was really bad last year. The biggest convention in my area, the Baltimore con never has anything for me. I went 3 years in a row, skipped one year and went back last year and out of all those years, the only thing I bought was the Copper age Grenada giveaway. Now that is sad! I sold over a thousand worth of comics but I like to add to my collection at a big convention. I don't even see the rare comics that I own for sale anymore. Part of collecting the rarest comics on the planet is patience but 2014 definitely tested that. Hopefully, 2015 will be better.

Here is the bright spot for 2014. This is an Outcault newsletter for one he makes tours across America. This is the only thing in print I have ever seen with all his characters on it together.

Outcault001_zps81133f28.jpg

Wow, that is incredible! The Yellow Kid is going to love this unless he has 3 of them.

I know what you mean about rare comics. At this point in my collecting career, I am really looking for some rare and obscure stuff. Need not be high dollar stuff necessarily. I have been upgrading some stuff but it isn't the same as a new to me score. Trouble is when anything does turn up it seems to go for nosebleed prices for even beaters. I take what I can get but damn it's getting hard!

As much as I don't like it, FeeBay is about the only source for this stuff and I'm not the only one looking.

Good thing I collect lots of other things besides comics...

The conventions are of no use. I knew that each year it would get harder and harder but it was really bad last year. The biggest convention in my area, the Baltimore con never has anything for me. I went 3 years in a row, skipped one year and went back last year and out of all those years, the only thing I bought was the Copper age Grenada giveaway. Now that is sad!

I determined that here in the L.A. area, when the main con was at the Shrine Convention Hall, back in the '90's. TG for eBay, at least back maybe 12-17 years ago. Now even that source is pretty well flat AFA decent copies of PCH at affordable prices.

2014 was by far the worst year for me finding rare comics since I started this journey in 1991. You guys did not see me much on here last year because I had nothing to post! All the places that I find rare comics are drying up. The conventions are of no use. I knew that each year it would get harder and harder but it was really bad last year. The biggest convention in my area, the Baltimore con never has anything for me. I went 3 years in a row, skipped one year and went back last year and out of all those years, the only thing I bought was the Copper age Grenada giveaway. Now that is sad! I sold over a thousand worth of comics but I like to add to my collection at a big convention. I don't even see the rare comics that I own for sale anymore. Part of collecting the rarest comics on the planet is patience but 2014 definitely tested that. Hopefully, 2015 will be better.

Here is the bright spot for 2014. This is an Outcault newsletter for one he makes tours across America. This is the only thing in print I have ever seen with all his characters on it together.

This is a great piece, one I especially like because it is in color. Virtually the same card was produced in b+w many years later. More importantly, half of the Buster Brown and His Bubble postcard set of ten cards from 1903 have all of the characters in them. At the time of its publication, Outcault termed it his greatest work. A very rare large portfolio edition also exists of these cards.

Outcault001_zps81133f28.jpg