• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing the splash page

16 posts in this topic

I'm wanting to have my AF15 and 129 signed but was thinking of going the path of not on the front but on the first page. Will there be any major issues with that? Had anyone else gone this path for older books?

Cheers

It is how people did it for years. Nothing wrong with it. It may impact resale, but the jury is out long term whether it will be for the good or for the bad.

I thought having it signed on the splash page would be better for resale. With it not messing with the original art work, iv just seen some disasters of signatures and would have it done hopefully in blue pen, or pencil. Will this be an issue for the facilitator?

I would just talk to them about it. If it were me, I would make you sign a waiver, because no one knows what that creator is going to do with the book having no protection and lying wide open for signature on the splash page.

I would just talk to them about it. If it were me, I would make you sign a waiver, because no one knows what that creator is going to do with the book having no protection and lying wide open for signature on the splash page.

+1 as a consideration. Once I hand a book over open and exposed like that it really is on the creator to be gentle. With the two examples given if you would go with Stan Lee on the interior it will be hard. Stan's signature doesn't get small anymore even with assisted coaching and some nice lady rubbing his back. Additionally if you go with the old ball point or such pen you also have to keep in mind that his signature and style is not gentle at all. He has become very heavy handed with his age. While some of us would still be down to doing it, this is something that has more issues to worry about such as page tears due to page quality and the general signer.

For me if you are going to get a AF15 signed... I say ask that the marker used has been tested and semi new, which many of us will check especially for a high dollar book like that.

If you go that route, I'd have him sign it in pencil.

I had John Romita Sr. do that with 4 books and mailed away for Stan Lee to do so through a reputable (sure...) comic company that guaranteed they'd have Stan do so next to Romita's in pencil and take a pic of it. 6 months plus later, I received the books with traditional sharpie sig smack in the middle of the cover by Stan with a penciled Romita sig on the outside of the Splash. Landed on ebay the next week...

If you go that route, I'd have him sign it in pencil.

I had John Romita Sr. do that with 4 books and mailed away for Stan Lee to do so through a reputable (sure...) comic company that guaranteed they'd have Stan do so next to Romita's in pencil and take a pic of it. 6 months plus later, I received the books with traditional sharpie sig smack in the middle of the cover by Stan with a penciled Romita sig on the outside of the Splash. Landed on ebay the next week...

Yeah not a bad idea might actually go that path with the pencil, but my facilitator works a little quicker than that. But that sucks he signed on the front. Ruined a perfectly good book. 6 months is a stupid long time though. I would have lost it by then.

+1 as a consideration. Once I hand a book over open and exposed like that it really is on the creator to be gentle. With the two examples given if you would go with Stan Lee on the interior it will be hard. Stan's signature doesn't get small anymore even with assisted coaching and some nice lady rubbing his back. Additionally if you go with the old ball point or such pen you also have to keep in mind that his signature and style is not gentle at all. He has become very heavy handed with his age. While some of us would still be down to doing it, this is something that has more issues to worry about such as page tears due to page quality and the general signer.

For me if you are going to get a AF15 signed... I say ask that the marker used has been tested and semi new, which many of us will check especially for a high dollar book like that.

I agree

I will no longer accept Stan requests for Splash pages.

I agree

I will no longer accept Stan requests for Splash pages.

Trueeeee have you had problems inn the past?