• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Reilly Collection Master List

250 posts in this topic

Very true, many have a rubber stamp saying Tom Reilly, usually almost always in the lower left corner on theback cover. Many also had a G for Gilboy Agency and/or a penciled arrival date, but many also did not.

Most of the books were sold out of our Berkeley store one or two at a time. No one ever got a large run of anything - we did not allow it, prefering to spread the wealth into as many collector hands as possible back then. We were basicly a brand new retail operation when we found this. About half a year old then. We wanted to reach out to as many collectors as possible to hook them into wanting to come back to dip in our well.

One might want to read Matt Nelson's identification concepts in Comic Book Marketplace #32 Feb 1996 plus an issue some months later (i forget which) wherein i correct and/or expand upon Matt's original thesis plus there is a side bar from Bud Plant, if i remember correctly. Anybody know whichissue number that is? My CBMs are not handy right now

best

robert beerbohm

We were basicly a brand new retail operation when we found this. About half a year old then.

Wow! What an incredible stroke of "Good Fortune" for you, at that time!

Yes it was - one of those strokes one does not go out and find, and can obly attribute to good karma

Would these books, if submitted to CGC today, get a pedigree statis notation, or collection?

West?

Just curious. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

is this a trick question? -:)

No, just curious. The Edgar Church collection was fairly well documented, except for the books sold before the catalog's release. I don't know if the Tom Reilly collection was at the time, allowing it to get a "Pedigree" or "Collection" statis. No trick question. popcorn.gif

I think the other point to remember is that by the late 70's (and yes I was collecting then), books started to be collected for condition (and therefore extra handling care was given).

Therefore, I am quite sure that there were many collections with high grade books that were sold in the 50's, 60's and early 70's that had tons of books, but the real question is:

Were they properly handled and preserved after that?

In most cases, probably not like they started to be stored and handled by the late 70's (a la Mile High) and beyond. The fact that many Mile High's have some type of Restoration shows that even then, collectors did minor fixes to books.

I remember going to conventions in the late seventies and rarely seeing a backing board (and most of the time they didn't even have bags) on Golden-Age books.

893whatthe.gif

I'm really surprised that the books were only sold one or two at a time. I don't think I've ever seen a SF Nedor war cover offered for sale, so I assumed full runs of the titles were owned by one or more collectors. I guess there's hope for me finding one yet!

Fuelman: Tom Reilly collection=San Francisco pedigree

This is exactly why CGC should also put a notation Tom Reilly on their slabs.

confused.gif

893whatthe.gif

flamed.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Yes! You are correct!

mcmahon.jpg

I now get it! Feel silly, but I'll get over it! sorry.gif

Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Bob,

I have a hand-drawn comic style drawing of an English courtroom scene apparently drawn in 1792 (according to the date at the bottom) with a character called "The Sedition Hunter" that I want you to take a look at some day. It is drawn in comic line art style and there are crude word balloons used as well. Let me see if I can find it (I won it at a charity auction several years back and then put it in storage a few years ago when I couldn't find out anything about the piece). If I can find it, I'll take a picture to post it here. It was a weird piece.

The owner before I bought it at the auction was Stanley Mosk, former Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court.

One might want to read Matt Nelson's identification concepts in Comic Book Marketplace #32 Feb 1996 plus an issue some months later (i forget which) wherein i correct and/or expand upon Matt's original thesis plus there is a side bar from Bud Plant, if i remember correctly. Anybody know whichissue number that is? My CBMs are not handy right now.

Your followup letter appeared in CBM #42, Bob.

Bob,

I have a hand-drawn comic style drawing of an English courtroom scene apparently drawn in 1792 (according to the date at the bottom) with a character called "The Sedition Hunter" that I want you to take a look at some day. It is drawn in comic line art style and there are crude word balloons used as well. Let me see if I can find it (I won it at a charity auction several years back and then put it in storage a few years ago when I couldn't find out anything about the piece). If I can find it, I'll take a picture to post it here. It was a weird piece.

I have something similar, Scott. But mine is a political cartoon protesting taxes circa the early 1800s.

One panel pieces like these were pretty common even hundreds of years ago. The interesting stuff didn't start until the early-to-mid 1800s when sequential artwork and storytelling began to sprout up. But I'm sure Bob can elucidate us on this topic better!

Alan

I COMPLETELY disagree. The Mile High collection is the best collection known. There is the occasional Rockford, Pennsylvania, "D" copy, Larson, Allentown, etc... and actually quite a few San Fransisco books that would beat out the Mile High copy on a book by book basis, that is true. But how many of those pedigrees can go head to head with the Mile High run of Action Comics #1-160? Marvel Mystery Comics #1-92? How about a smaller title like Boy Commandos #1-36?

I've owned many DC Mile High runs through the years. I have yet to see any run of San Fransisco's (or ANY other pedigree) that came close to what I owned.

West

West, your position is understandable given your affection for Church books. But the fact remains that you don't know if the Mile High Collection was the best collection ever uncovered. No one does and no one ever will. I don't know for sure either, but I do know what I have been told by people a lot with a lot more experience in the hobby than you or I have.

Hurry up with that article Bob! I can't wait to hear about that huge collection!

I COMPLETELY disagree. The Mile High collection is the best collection known. There is the occasional Rockford, Pennsylvania, "D" copy, Larson, Allentown, etc... and actually quite a few San Fransisco books that would beat out the Mile High copy on a book by book basis, that is true. But how many of those pedigrees can go head to head with the Mile High run of Action Comics #1-160? Marvel Mystery Comics #1-92? How about a smaller title like Boy Commandos #1-36?

I've owned many DC Mile High runs through the years. I have yet to see any run of San Fransisco's (or ANY other pedigree) that came close to what I owned.

West

West, your position is understandable given your affection for Church books. But the fact remains that you don't know if the Mile High Collection was the best collection ever uncovered. No one does and no one ever will. I don't know for sure either, but I do know what I have been told by people a lot with a lot more experience in the hobby than you or I have.

Hurry up with that article Bob! I can't wait to hear about that huge collection!

Through the years I have seen identifying marks on high grade GA books that were no doubt part of bigger collections. I really like the books that have the "ND" written on the front cover, most of them have OW/W and White pages. Are they a pedigree? No. I have seen many books with the "SN" on the cover in pencil. Are they pedigrees? No.

There are no doubt hundreds of GA books with identifying marks that singify they came from a specific collection. Unfortunately time and circumstances did not allow those books to be named pedigrees.

All I am saying is of all the collections in the "here and now" the MH collection is the best. Any collection that was known to exist in the 1970's, 1960's or 1950's are long gone.

West

Bob,

I have something similar, Scott. But mine is a political cartoon protesting taxes circa the early 1800s.

One panel pieces like these were pretty common even hundreds of years ago. The interesting stuff didn't start until the early-to-mid 1800s when sequential artwork and storytelling began to sprout up. But I'm sure Bob can elucidate us on this topic better!

Alan

There is a huge collection of this stuff in the Tate Gallery in London. It's all political and sub-divided by country, mainly English and some US. I seem to remember it going back to the early 1700's for the UK and the 1770's for the US.