• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom Reilly Collection Master List

250 posts in this topic

I made a list of CGC-graded Reilly books, but there aren't many of them.

Only 1.3% of Reilly books have been for sale publicly in recent years. (Compared to 10% of Church books)

condition.pngPQ.png

years.png

Full list is on my signature. If anyone knows or owns books that are not listed send me a message.

Assuming that the sampling is representative, it looks like the Church

collection just got thoroughly dethroned.

No, Reilly didn't have nearly the depth of Church. Church's collection was many times larger than Reilly.

The collection began with some stuff missing mid 1939 with Detective 27 in there, but not the first two Supermans, for example. The Tec 27 was still nice at a VF level and was sold for $2200 to Burl Rowe, then of Houston Texas and became the very first comic book sold to go over the two grand level.

Would you be comfortable giving ballpark grades on a few more keys from the collection?

I'm looking for info on the following books:

Batman #1

Captain America Comics #1

Flash Comics #1

More Fun #52

More Fun #53

Hello

the ball park on the above books is VF/NM or better

It was basicly the 1939 books which showed reading stress marks

- by 1940 and especially by 1941, Tom Reilly was older by then, the books were consequently is better condition.

We never got the CA #1 - that was part of the original Timely Marvel batch gleaned out by Nick Marcus and Mike Manyak prior to any other dealings which went down.

Their small batch is notated in Matt Nelson's article in CBM 32 - those books i never got to know, nor the portions picked up by David Belmont and the other guy who was there that night which accounts for 2/3rds of the first batch.

We got the other 2/3rds all to our selves which contained the Tec 27 and Whiz #1 which Burl Rowe paid us $2200 and $2000 respectively at the time the world's record for comic book purchases. He bought the Whiz first, and then when we got the 3rd batch, he bought the Tec 27.

I have always estimated Tom was maybe 15 in mid 1939 and by 1942 he was 18, old enough to enlist following Pearl Harbor. I based this on the reading wear on the 1939 books as he learned to take care of them.

I never put any energy into re-locating the heirs once we handed over checks for the books back in 1973 in those 3 separate batches spread out over 3 months. Looking back now with the hind sight of 30 plus years and the interest in the collection, i wish i had.

best

robert beerbohm

Great info Bob. I just got here and see that it's been a while since people have posted anything new. I would love to keep this discussion going, as this collection is my favorite pedigree. I have a quick question as well. Can you remember the extent of Bob Selvig's involvement with the books (maybe roughly how many he got) and what particular publishers were included in his batch? I've heard he's completely out of comics now, has been for a long time, and has no interest in discussing them. You are likely our only source to shed light here. Thanks in advance for your reply!!! hail.gif

It was at the Berkeley Con 1973 show where the Reilly collection first surfaced that Bruce Hamilton brought the Action #1 he had just bought from Gene Henderson (board member San Diego Comicon) for a grand. Theo Holstein offered $1500 for it, Bruce turned him down. The SF Examiner wrote up this exchange as well as interviewed me about the show in the Monday newspaper - and Bruce was offered a 2nd Action 31, which is the copy he sold Theo for $1801.26 ($1.26 to mail it).

Does anyone know who this Theo person is? My uncle used to talk about visiting him and seeing some of his books. Does he still collect? Just curious. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not too long ago there was a thread that had a picture of a theo holstein ad from back in the day. Half naked and reclined on a couch... wish I was joking. He had a hard on for Tough Kid Squad at the time.

Not many of the Reilly books have changed hands lately! It's just awesome to see scans of these books since they are so expensive to purchase! I only have a few Reilly books in my collection and wonder who has most of the DC stuff?

Not too long ago there was a thread that had a picture of a theo holstein ad from back in the day. Half naked and reclined on a couch... wish I was joking. He had a hard on for Tough Kid Squad at the time.

This ad just kills me - It's funny on so many levels! I'd like to know if this was for real or if he was joking. From the 1976 OPG:

5204TheoHolsteinsm.jpg

why is it that CGC will accept the BB list of the Tom Reilly Pedigree Collection, but has turned down a Mile High book when there is an almost complete

list available to them also ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yipes... that Theo picture!

I can hear the wah-wah guitar in the background along

with a poster of Long Dong Silver on the wall.

I only have a few Reilly books in my collection and wonder who has most of the DC stuff?

Erik, I have only a few Reilly books remaining, too.

My question would be, where are all the Centaurs??

STEVE

In the picture!?!? 893whatthe.gifblush.gif