• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO WAS THE GREATEST EC ARTIST?

WHO WAS THE GREATEST EC ARTIST?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. WHO WAS THE GREATEST EC ARTIST?

19 posts in this topic

Sorry...that's a genuine mistake on my part.

I honestly don't know what happened.

I would hope that the later post would be removed.

Thanks anyway....

You created your own website, you attached a silly file to both posts. Yet you are not sure how you made a double thread?

Ok.. whatever.

Ze-

I'm the ONLY one who voted for Kurtzman?! 893whatthe.gifsumo.gif

Come on people!

712642-Mad1-9_Kurzman.jpg

I voted for Jack Davis.

That's not to say I don't love the other guys... 893whatthe.gif (Wait, that didn't sound right!!!!) Frazetta is obviously amazing, but I'm mostly into the Jack Davis Mad stuff. Personal taste. BTW, that Mad 2 cover is Davis, right?

Joe

Kurtzman was the greatest EC creator when you factor in all the work he did. I went with Graham Ingels, because to me he "is" EC Horror and (as much as I love the War and Sci-Fi books) Horror "is" EC.

I was able to vote twice ( this seems to happen with every poll)- so I voted for Craig the 1st time and Kurtzman the second. Wally Wood would be another vote if I had one. To state the obvious, EC had so many great artists, that picking a favorite is really impossible.

Wow! Great Poll!!!!!

I went w/ Jack Davis (although it was tought to pick between him, Johnny Craig, and Ghastly Graham).

Picked him b/c out of the few EC's I do own, I like the Davis cover I have the best.

I think the poll might be skewed from the get-go, simply because all the artists were top notch at the time, and some were better at certain genres than others.

For instance: horror= Ghastly (just look at early Wrightson if you don't think Graham had impact...) Sci-Fi = well, uh.... Wood or Williamson, take your pick. Humor = .....

.....Oh hell, the whole poll is flawed because ART IS SUBJECTIVE!!!!! .....ALWAYS!!!! frustrated.gif

I think the poll might be skewed from the get-go, simply because all the artists were top notch at the time, and some were better at certain genres than others.

For instance: horror= Ghastly (just look at early Wrightson if you don't think Graham had impact...) Sci-Fi = well, uh.... Wood or Williamson, take your pick. Humor = .....

.....Oh hell, the whole poll is flawed because ART IS SUBJECTIVE!!!!! .....ALWAYS!!!! frustrated.gif

It gets people talking about E.C.s, so it ain't all bad.......

Come on people!

712642-Mad1-9_Kurzman.jpg

I voted for Jack Davis.

That's not to say I don't love the other guys... 893whatthe.gif (Wait, that didn't sound right!!!!) Frazetta is obviously amazing, but I'm mostly into the Jack Davis Mad stuff. Personal taste. BTW, that Mad 2 cover is Davis, right?

Joe

Yup - #2 is Davis and # 5 is Elder - the rst of the first 9 were Kurtzman.......

It gets people talking about E.C.s, so it ain't all bad.......

Yeah, I never thought it was "bad", I just don't think there can be any definitive choice for "greatest" EC artist. confused-smiley-013.gif

One thing I think we all CAN agree definitively on though, is that most of the EC artists can be considered GREAT. thumbsup2.gif

Come on people!

I voted for Jack Davis.

Joe

Yup - #2 is Davis and # 5 is Elder - the rest of the first 9 were Kurtzman.......

I know. But it didn't feel right to exclude them. cloud9.gif

BTW - #9 is my favorite. The cover art sold back in the 90's.