• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure superhero thread

170 posts in this topic

Since most of us don't live in Italy this guy is still pretty obscure... Pretty rough shape unfortunately.

FutureComics2%205CC_zpswjbwagl7.jpg

Who is that? Rubber Glove Chicken Man? That's awesome... :o

lol

Since most of us don't live in Italy this guy is still pretty obscure... Pretty rough shape unfortunately.

FutureComics2%205CC_zpswjbwagl7.jpg

Who is that? Rubber Glove Chicken Man? That's awesome... :o

That's Rebo, the dictator of Saturn. I believe he's owned by Disney now. It's on the cover of one of the gerber volumes. I can't recall if it's 1 or 2.

And, who can forget the turtle guy...? Well, I guess I can because i can't remember anything about that issue... :preach:

2poz6o2.jpg

part of a CBM article on "B Titles" by me, way back when.......Great stuff

BLAZING COMICS

Blazing Comics, as published by REWL/ Enwil/Rural Home Publications, featured the first Chinese super-hero- “The Green Turtle”. Drawn by Chu Hing, a Chinese-American, this title has links to the ubiquitous comic shop of Funnies, Inc. (See indicia of issue 3). Although the Green Turtle fought Japanese soldiers in China, he obviously owes a great debt to Batman. His most used mode of transportation was the “Turtle plane”. When not combating the Japanese, the Turtle would “withdraw” to his secret lair, the “Turtle Shell”. Although tantalizingly promised in each issue of this short-lived title, neither the name nor the origin of the Green Turtle is ever revealed.

The first issue (June 1944) has the Turtle rescuing a village of Chinese from Japanese soldiers who have attacked them. During this rescue he meets and takes with him a female companion and a young boy, who he dubs “Burma Boy” (move over Robin!).

The most notable thing of the Green Turtle series is the remarkable covers that often have the Turtle casting his Turtle shadow. These covers (and contents) truly deserve a second look by those interested in hardcore esoteric golden age books. The stories which always reflected conflicts with the Japanese, often have the main characters trading aphorisms with each other. (“Danger is nothing without fear”, “One man must never plan his course from the actions of another”, and “Believe only half of what one sees and none of what one hears”.) The Turtle only appeared in the first four issues (June 1944 to September 1944, February 1945). Actually, although there are six issues, only the first four have original material. The fifth and sixth issues (with covers dated March and April 1945) contain “remainders” with original covers. The remainders are from the early 1950s. Issue 5 has the contents of Action 181 (September 1953) while the sixth issue appears to have material from Colossal Features Magazine 3 (1950).

The rest of the contents of the 1940s material are rounded out by the obligatory jungle feature featuring a white woman named “Jun Gal”. She is the lone survivor (with her mammy) of a jungle expedition. Raised by the local natives, she eventually ascends to lead the tribe and to protect the tribe’s “Pit of Death” (containing radium) from bad guys, such as Nazis. The only other “notable” features are the “Black Buccaneer” (featured on the cover to issue 5), who is a privateer working as a spy for Queen Elizabeth, and “Red Hawk” (featured on the cover to issue 6), a full blooded native American Indian who is a free lance fighter pilot of the skyways against the Japanese.

c jon berk

And, who can forget the turtle guy...? Well, I guess I can because i can't remember anything about that issue... :preach:

2poz6o2.jpg

BLAZING COMICS

Blazing Comics, as published by REWL/ Enwil/Rural Home Publications, featured the first Chinese super-hero- “The Green Turtle”. Drawn by Chu Hing, a Chinese-American, this title has links to the ubiquitous comic shop of Funnies, Inc. (See indicia of issue 3). Although the Green Turtle fought Japanese soldiers in China, he obviously owes a great debt to Batman. His most used mode of transportation was the “Turtle plane”. When not combating the Japanese, the Turtle would “withdraw” to his secret lair, the “Turtle Shell”. Although tantalizingly promised in each issue of this short-lived title, neither the name nor the origin of the Green Turtle is ever revealed.

The first issue (June 1944) has the Turtle rescuing a village of Chinese from Japanese soldiers who have attacked them. During this rescue he meets and takes with him a female companion and a young boy, who he dubs “Burma Boy” (move over Robin!).

The most notable thing of the Green Turtle series is the remarkable covers that often have the Turtle casting his Turtle shadow. These covers (and contents) truly deserve a second look by those interested in hardcore esoteric golden age books. The stories which always reflected conflicts with the Japanese, often have the main characters trading aphorisms with each other. (“Danger is nothing without fear”, “One man must never plan his course from the actions of another”, and “Believe only half of what one sees and none of what one hears”.) The Turtle only appeared in the first four issues (June 1944 to September 1944, February 1945). Actually, although there are six issues, only the first four have original material. The fifth and sixth issues (with covers dated March and April 1945) contain “remainders” with original covers. The remainders are from the early 1950s. Issue 5 has the contents of Action 181 (September 1953) while the sixth issue appears to have material from Colossal Features Magazine 3 (1950).

The rest of the contents of the 1940s material are rounded out by the obligatory jungle feature featuring a white woman named “Jun Gal”. She is the lone survivor (with her mammy) of a jungle expedition. Raised by the local natives, she eventually ascends to lead the tribe and to protect the tribe’s “Pit of Death” (containing radium) from bad guys, such as Nazis. The only other “notable” features are the “Black Buccaneer” (featured on the cover to issue 5), who is a privateer working as a spy for Queen Elizabeth, and “Red Hawk” (featured on the cover to issue 6), a full blooded native American Indian who is a free lance fighter pilot of the skyways against the Japanese.

c jon berk

Jon, which CBM was that article in?

boy will that be a test.....Pat C? Michael N.?

2poz6o2.jpg

BLAZING COMICS

c jon berk

Jon, which CBM was that article in?