• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Golden Nuggets" of the Hobby!

26 posts in this topic

Here is a thread dedicated to Comic Book "Golden Nuggets"!

If you have a technique, tip, site or service that is not really known or heavily talked about

that you think is invaluable list it here.

Here's one of mine:

I was chatting up GCD on my page counting thread, but there is another reason to check it out.

If you have a case where a book has a detached cover and you don't know how to make sure the interior is the same book (some GA books don't have an indica or you never know a stain/smudge could keep you from reading the indica). GCD is invaluable for this.

Here is an example...

The first story is the one that begins on the splash page.

The webpage header on the 1st story is "Do you believe all you read in the..."

This should be the 1st blurb that is on the splash page. If it matches then you have the real interior for the book.

(thumbs u

Here's how you can stop tape pulls FOREVER!

A simple technique and a little discipline that is well worth the effort.

A close comic friend showed me this and it's so easy I figured I would pass it on.

A. Just take a medium size piece of tape

B. fold over one end 1/4–1/2" (so that the stick sides meet) to create a non-sticky tab (this takes a little practice to get this right).

C. on the back of the Mylar place the tape centered tab down with an even amount of tape on both sides of the mylar flap.

D. This is KEY: Totally remove the pull tab tape completely off the the mylar once you are ready to open and get the comic. Either place the tape on the back of your hand or any where that isn't near the book period!

147961.jpg

Just say NO to tape pulls Baby!

:cloud9:

I use these small sticky circles to seal the flap of Mylar 2 bags. (A fingernail run along the fold of the flap against the top edge of an already inserted backer board creates a bent flap.)

Tabs_zpssc2siw4d.jpeg

These tabs lift with the flap and are easily and quickly removed. They can be reused.

In addition, any small residue left in changing their position on the flap is easily buffed off Mylar with a microfibre cloth.

Microfibre cloth is also great for buffing off fingerprints from Mylar.

MIcrofibre_zps1ksjyuax.jpeg

Here's a tip. I never use tape!

I just tuck the flap on the inside for polys and I cut the corner flaps on mylars at a 45 degree angle and tuck them in as well.

No tape, no problems...ever!

I was on the "no tape" team for about 15 years.

I was fine with the tuck method but after a few years, noticed that the folding created some problems with the bags, specifically at the corners of the flap where the top of the backing boards got wedged occasionally. Could have been a bad set of bags or I waited too long to swap them out.

Then I decided to go back to using tape as it does a better job of neatly keeping the book together when I am not opening it-- which is pretty much all of the time.

Now I just remove the tape entirely if I want to open one out of the mylar.

Sure wish I had seen that fold over idea before rebagging my entire collection the past year (now that I am back on the tape team). The nice thing is that the way I open the books now, I can either use a new piece of tape (folded) or fold the original if it is still usable.

A close comic friend showed me this and it's so easy I figured I would pass it on.

B. fold over one end 1/4–1/2" (so that the stick sides meet) to create a non-sticky tab (this takes a little practice to get this right).

C. on the back of the Mylar place the tape centered tab down with an even amount of tape on both sides of the mylar flap.

D. This is KEY: Totally remove the pull tab tape completely off the the mylar once you are ready to open and get the comic. Either place the tape on the back of your hand or any where that isn't near the book period!

147961.jpg

One suggestion, put your tape on the other way up, that way when filing in boxes, the 'tab' will not snag on other bags. Also when using poly bags, it's easier to remove the tape without stretching the flap (not such a problem with Mylars).

Dont handle comics while drunk... I keep telling myself this and for some reason never take my own advice :)

Also, don't try to buy 'em while drunk.

Used to work in a shop in a large campustown area, plus large nearby military base. Customer base dictated we be open late, and Saturday nights could get interesting.

"Dude, no... I'm not going to let you look through that AF #15 on the wall. Here's a nice reprint for you. Come back during the week if you still want the original." lol

147961.jpg

Yep. Tabs baby... TABS!

:cool:

An alternate version that I use for polybags is having the tape placed so that the tab is on the top (pointing up), so that you only have to peel down the tape until the bag-flap opens instead of removing the tape entirely, that way the tape says on the back of the bag away from the comic.

And if your box not overly-packed (which it shouldn't be anyway) you can put them back without getting the tabs caught on the next book in the box.

But for mylars, I use the "trim&fold-flap-and-double-half-back-hold-back" technique. :cool:

ETA: Yeah, what New Hope said, links and all. :grin:

(It's ok to) Over pay for the best

Under pay for the rest

Do not let a cheap price tag influence you

Do not let an expensive tag discourage you

Full disclosure: Most of mine are some variation on Rinker and Welch, two antique dealers/writers I discovered on these boards about 4 years ago