• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you handle.....?

35 posts in this topic

How do you handle a return?

When you get a book sent back, do you issue the refund right away? Or do you make the "returner" wait even after it's back in hand?

Or if you send a book back, when do you expect to get the refund?

I'm not a dealer, so I don't spend the funds until I know the buyer is satisfied. And I issue the refund as soon as the book is back in my hands in the same condition it was sent.

Just curious where you stand. Are their Board rules regarding this?

I try to refund immediately upon return....unless the refund falls outside of the 2 week return period..... and depending on the reason, I've refunded as long as a year after the purchase......but in the event it's after 2 weeks, the refund is, naturally, issued when I have the money to do so( I only hold the funds for a couple of weeks) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If it's under $20 I refund immediately before they even ship the book-I've never been screwed.

Here's an example

- Buyer agrees to buy book and pays the same day

- Book is shipped

- Buyer receives book and contacts Seller to let them know the would like a refund. Seller agrees but says could be a delay as Seller already spent the money

- Book is shipped back

- Seller receives book in same condition

- 7 days later Buyer is still waiting for refund (10 days total after notifying seller)

I've had a couple things returned over the years, always my oversight. I offer an adjustment, or a full refund if it's returned, plus the return freight if I made a mistake.

But I DO wait until I have the item back in hand.

I recently had a return and said no problem.

Ship it to me and once I have it in hand I will refund your money in full.

^^

I would never issue a refund before the item is returned. Once it's back, refund is issued. (thumbs u

Here's an example

- Book is shipped

- Buyer receives book and contacts Seller to let them know the would like a refund. Seller agrees but says could be a delay as Seller already spent the money

- Book is shipped back

- 7 days later Buyer is still waiting for refund (10 days total after notifying seller)

That should not happen.

Ever.

My fear with giving a refund before getting the book back is due to the lack of packaging that some people use. I'm would be afraid (unless it is someone I trust and have dealt with previously) that a person COULD ship the book back without taking the time to package it appropriately. If the refund has already been issued, some people MIGHT feel they have no reason to put the time in to package the book properly, especially if the return is due to a mistake on the part of the seller.

Again, if it's a person that I have a history with and trust them with their packaging, I have no issue with refunding the money when they alert me that they are sending something back.

Here's an example

- Book is shipped

- Book is shipped back

That should not happen.

Ever.

Couldn't agree more. If the seller is going to use the received funds before getting word that the buyer is happy with the book, they need to get some sort of credit connected with their account so they can still issue refunds if need be.

How do you handle a return?

1 When you get a book sent back, do you issue the refund right away?

2 Or if you send a book back, when do you expect to get the refund?

1 The only returns I remember came after full disclosure of the defects, or a full-accounting of the defects in the grade. - so, I wait for the books to be returned before issuing the refund

2 Never, that's why I rarely return anything, unless it is egregiously mis-graded or described. I cut folks some slack, as eyes age with time, and grading standards vary.

I had a dbag seller wait for nearly 2 weeks after the book showed returned before issuing me a refund out of spite. That's what Paypal gave her as a time limit, and she took the entire time.

Spiteful woman, that one.

I had a dbag seller wait for nearly 2 weeks after the book showed returned before issuing me a refund out of spite. That's what Paypal gave her as a time limit, and she took the entire time.

Spiteful woman, that one.

I don't understand sellers who pull that kind of .

Logically thinking, here is what should go down:

If I were to get a return, I would send out the refund right after I got the book back and inspected it.If everything was alright i.e. book was not damaged or the buyer was attempting to pull a fast one...........I'd want the buyer to have his money returned as quickly as possible.

One could then be free to move on and relist the book on eBay, in order to sell the book to another eBayer..... without playing games and having to worry about the buyer posting negative feedback.

Seems like pretty easy to follow , linear thinking to me but what do I know....

How often does a seller post items for sale, while mentioning he needs to sell them because he needs money for a grail, or to fix his transmission. Most sellers here, and even on eBay, are not pros or businesses and may very well spend the money as soon as it was received. Stuff happens. Not everyone has money laying around.

They should, but the sad fact is many people spend money as soon as they get it, and may not have the cash in hand to issue an immediate refund.

How often does a seller post items for sale, while mentioning he needs to sell them because he needs money for a grail, or to fix his transmission. Most sellers here, and even on eBay, are not pros or businesses and may very well spend the money as soon as it was received. Stuff happens. Not everyone has money laying around.

They should, but the sad fact is many people spend money as soon as they get it, and may not have the cash in hand to issue an immediate refund.

..... and this is so true. The seller was honest about having spent the money..... but probably not ethical to have done so.... but, then, ethics are not a given in the real world. I hope it plays out to everyone's satisfaction.... GOD BLESS....

..... and this is so true. The seller was honest about having spent the money..... but probably not ethical to have done so.... but, then, ethics are not a given in the real world. I hope it plays out to everyone's satisfaction.... GOD BLESS....

Why is this unethical?

Maybe not smart business practice, but unethical?

Once a transaction is complete both parties are free to do as they wish with the goods/money, there is no ethics about it. If the buyer wants a refund (insert reason) and the seller doesn't have the scratch that is an unfortunate situation, but I don't think anyone has done anything "unethical."