• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[SERIOUS] Is this a proper archival method?

29 posts in this topic

If you look at the pictures you can see that many of the books are curved and bent in the crowded binders. There won't be any NM books in this collection. May as well stack them on a shelf as store them in these binders.
I just got several CGC books, that are curved and bent in crowded slabs - the slabs with the big suck-in defects. Wonder which is better...., :think:

I was hoping to get your blessing for this type of archival system because I loved the idea of being able to browse my comics more easily. I have few silver age comics and I currently store them in bags and boards inside a short box but I never, NEVER pull them out because it's too much work. The box is in my storage room, together with other boxes...and this makes me sad.

Have you seen some of the pics here of the magazine files that some people use? Maybe that would be a good solution for you. I think Oakman uses that system...

The first time I saw all of the Church Fiction House books they were stored in notebooks just like that. Complete nm runs of Planet, Jumbo, Jungle etc., all in three ring binders in pages to be leafed through. This was in 1977 or so. Most of those books now reside in 9.0 or better slabs. I kinda liked looking through them the old way, but it's a new era full of new ideas... :preach:

That's pretty cool. Are you saying that those particular books were originally stored that way (i.e., by Church himself), or did these belong to a subsequent owner?

In any case, I'm betting the owner was older, and generally more careful, than the average pre-teen kid back in the '70s who also used the "binder method" for his Marvel Team-Up run...

Burrel Rowe had rows of binders with all of his best books in them. It was cool to pull one off the shelf and look through it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it now, but back then I thought it was awesome. I figured that was how all the real collectors displayed their books.

I had some binders like this when I was a young guy (about 20 years ago) working at my LCS. A collector who came in regularly brought his books in one day to show off. He brought in a binder with a Hulk 1, FF 1, lots of SA keys. And they were all stored in those sleeves in a binder. (Makes you skin crawl now, right?)

I thought it looked cool, and I hadn't learned much about archival storage at that point beyond boards and poly bags, so I bought a binder and some sheets for my meager collection.

I kept the binders (three of them if memory serves) on a book shelf and really enjoyed being able to pull the binder out and "flip" through my treasures whenever I wanted.

However, as soon as I tried to remove the books, it all fell apart: I found it was really difficult to take books out with mangling them. Thumb divots at the top where I was trying to remove the book from the sleeve became an instant issue.

Once I realized the problem, I cut the other books out of their sleeves and got rid of the binders. It was a learning experience, and what I learned was that this is a bad idea.