• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[SERIOUS] Is this a proper archival method?

29 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just read this post from a fellow board member at the Marvel Masterworks board and he showed his way of storing his comic books. Take a look:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/sreply/790438/How-do-you-guys-buy-your-comics-Whats-your-inside-process

Is this a proper archival method? I have never tried it, but I would love the idea of browsing my comics so easily and being able to pull out and read a comic book in a second. Also, I could create nice covers for those binders.

What's your opinion?

It's a great and very practical way to store & organize a reading/research collection, so it is indeed "archival" in one sense of the word. But as others have mentioned, it's lousy for keeping books in nice shape...

I'm not sure how proper it is, but when I was a kid, I was gifted a Wolverine binder with comic book sleeves and backer boards that was in the JCPenney Christmas catalog. So, somebody thought it was a good enough idea to sell.

hm I think I still have it someplace.

I'm not sure how proper it is, but when I was a kid, I was gifted a Wolverine binder with comic book sleeves and backer boards that was in the JCPenney Christmas catalog. So, somebody thought it was a good enough idea to sell.

hm I think I still have it someplace.

I remember having some books in those blue semi-rigid things sold in the late 70's comic catalogues.

Can't find a pic online but it was made of the same plastic some binders use today but it had a metal spine with teeth that you could hook elastics around to put 10 books into it.

:D

comics in mylar on fullbacks stored up right in short boxes.

This. Do this or tell him/her to. Worth the $

There is just no structural support in those binder things. The books are getting all bent and mess. I'd also wager those sleeves are a poly-bag-type material that will almost certainly yellow and get sticky over time.

The first time I saw all of the Church Fiction House books they were stored in notebooks just like that. Complete nm runs of Planet, Jumbo, Jungle etc., all in three ring binders in pages to be leafed through. This was in 1977 or so. Most of those books now reside in 9.0 or better slabs. I kinda liked looking through them the old way, but it's a new era full of new ideas... :preach:

Still have 1 bind like this from when I was a kid. Mostly old silver age and a few bronzes. I know they are just not optimally stored - mostly a write off, but too much kid nostalgia. From personal experience, there is spine roll, and pinching. Not a good option for long term good storage.

comics in mylar on fullbacks stored up right in short boxes.

This. Do this or tell him/her to. Worth the $

There is just no structural support in those binder things. The books are getting all bent and mess. I'd also wager those sleeves are a poly-bag-type material that will almost certainly yellow and get sticky over time.

As far as structural support goes, could you actually put boards in the sleeves?

As others have said though, the binders just seem to damage and round books. For readers, I guess it would be handy.

The first time I saw all of the Church Fiction House books they were stored in notebooks just like that. Complete nm runs of Planet, Jumbo, Jungle etc., all in three ring binders in pages to be leafed through. This was in 1977 or so. Most of those books now reside in 9.0 or better slabs. I kinda liked looking through them the old way, but it's a new era full of new ideas... :preach:

That's pretty cool. Are you saying that those particular books were originally stored that way (i.e., by Church himself), or did these belong to a subsequent owner?

In any case, I'm betting the owner was older, and generally more careful, than the average pre-teen kid back in the '70s who also used the "binder method" for his Marvel Team-Up run...

I was hoping to get your blessing for this type of archival system because I loved the idea of being able to browse my comics more easily. I have few silver age comics and I currently store them in bags and boards inside a short box but I never, NEVER pull them out because it's too much work. The box is in my storage room, together with other boxes...and this makes me sad.