• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX in hot water?

107 posts in this topic

Anyone seen this?

CGC is the leading comic book collector grading and slabbing service. Naturally, where there is a market originator and leder, there will be competition. Such as PGX, which has come under controversy in the past.

Well, here’s a new one. A comic creator is claiming he bought a Fantastic Four comic in PGX 7.5 slabbed condition for $10,000 but, with doubts about its status, had it regraded by, we presume, CGC, who knocked it down to a 5.0, a significant difference in condition and value.

And now, My News LA is reporting that Nash Tennant of Sherman Oaks is suing PGX Comics, alleging breach of contract, fraud, civil conspiracy and negligence. The lawsuit also states “The difference between a 7.5 comic book and a 5.0 comic book is extremely large.”

:roflmao: The guy suing PGX will lose,because it's just an opinion of grade. Apparently CGC's opinion is different. A good attorney can get through this suit without any problems.

I wish PGX a quick demise,but this won't do it.

Have you ever read the PGX disclaimer? They don't guarantee the grade, acceptance, or even resto detection. They basically guarantee nothing other than a slab with a number.

Same with CGC.

Yeah, unfortunately can't PGX just get out of it by saying it was only their opinion? (shrug)

Doesn't make it right but maybe some more well versed legal boardies can correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you ever read the PGX disclaimer? They don't guarantee the grade, acceptance, or even resto detection. They basically guarantee nothing other than a slab with a number.

I think what's at issue is the conflict of interest. If you click on the link within the link it appears the buyer believes he bought the book from a PGX employee. The non-disclosure of the relationship between seller and grader seems to be at the heart of the matter.

Yeah, unfortunately can't PGX just get out of it by saying it was only their opinion? (shrug)

Doesn't make it right but maybe some more well versed legal boardies can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that jaybuck, who commented above, is one of those well-versed legalesque boardies.

Yeah, suit seems like a stretch to this non-litigiously minded boarded, but it's an interesting development.

I think what's at issue is the conflict of interest. If you click on the link within the link it appears the buyer believes he bought the book from a PGX employee. The non-disclosure of the relationship between seller and grader seems to be at the heart of the matter.

Ya, I thought that was implied, too. And there is a purported history of past wrongdoing in that regards, no?

You do not need to be a lawyer to see that this case will go nowhere. Grading is subjective. Aside from that there are defects in a comic book that CGC may be stricter on than say CBCS and PGX. On top of that, there are defects that CGC may be a little more forgiving on.