• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists whose work you think under-performs at auction

32 posts in this topic

A lot of "drawn yesterday" art from the last 20 years that is priced as though it's vintage, re-sells at a loss in auction.

Frank Cho's work comes to mind. I've seen covers sold for around $8-9k re-sell (or reserve not met) at auction around $3k.... And he doesn't even release all his pages for sale.

Jim Lee's post-Hush work comes to mind as well. People seem to know that every month, another 20 pages get drawn. Why get into a bidding war over a piece? You really going to pay a premium so you can get something that is 2 years old vs something 2 months old?

P.S. Tip of the hat to Felix for pricing modern art like it's modern art. 

15 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't think any artists work is undervalued at auction.  There is perceived price and actual  price, and the actual price is the end result at auction.

Actually, I don't believe this to be true- not in the slightest. there is FMV, and then there is the price manipulation when a piece hits HA and everything gets bid up by a couple of dealers in the room that seek to buoy prices.  :sumo:

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

15 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Actually, I don't believe this to be true- not in the slightest. there is FMV, and then there is the price manipulation when a piece hits HA and everything gets bid up by a couple of dealers in the room that seek to buoy prices.  :sumo:

But you will never know in an auction setting so it all blends into the final price realized, whether it's on HA, clink, eBay or any other auction house.  And i also disagree with your statement that "everything" gets bid up by a couple of dealers, whether they are in the room or not.

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

But you will never know in an auction setting so it all blends into the final price realized, whether it's on HA, clink, eBay or any other auction house.  And i also disagree with your statement that "everything" gets bid up by a couple of dealers, whether they are in the room or not.

I will admit to some hyperbole- anything of merit is bid up.  Watch an auction live on HA. The % of items bid on and/or won in HA Live. (the dealers in attendance)  Contrast that with Clink and other formats, where they are not in the room, just online, and you quickly see why HA commands the highest prices, and they absolutely role our the red carpet for a few favorite bidders. One or two guys may net HA 20-30% of the total auctions returns for being there.  Certainly worth flying them out and plying them with dinner and booze don't you think?  Clink, Hakes, ebay, not so much. thats why the normal pattern for art to get flipped is ebay-clink-HA. Any other order and you might lose money.  That's the sad truth of the hobby really. It's a small enough pool that prices manipulation is rampant and rewarded.  

On 4/8/2017 at 11:11 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I will admit to some hyperbole- anything of merit is bid up.  Watch an auction live on HA. The % of items bid on and/or won in HA Live. (the dealers in attendance)  Contrast that with Clink and other formats, where they are not in the room, just online, and you quickly see why HA commands the highest prices, and they absolutely role our the red carpet for a few favorite bidders. One or two guys may net HA 20-30% of the total auctions returns for being there.  Certainly worth flying them out and plying them with dinner and booze don't you think?  Clink, Hakes, ebay, not so much. thats why the normal pattern for art to get flipped is ebay-clink-HA. Any other order and you might lose money.  That's the sad truth of the hobby really. It's a small enough pool that prices manipulation is rampant and rewarded.  

I'll leave it up to others who may, like me, disagree to some extent with your initial core point above.  But I will note a correction regarding your reference to HA Live being the winning dealers in attendance to support your point---the person who is the winning bidder who bid in the auction room gets posted as "Floor bidder," not HA Live.   In terms of the other categories--the winning bidder who bid on the phone gets posted as "Phone bidder," the winning bidder who used the HA Live software gets posted as "HA.com/Live bidder" and the winning bidder who used the regular HA website/internet bidding (either on Saturday internet-only bidding or in the days prior to live bidding) gets posted as "Internet bidder."  I'm not sure what a bidder who faxed in his bids and wins gets posted as -- it may also be "HA.com/Live bidder" as the software may be deemed to bid for such person.

48 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

I'll leave it up to others who may, like me, disagree to some extent with your initial core point above.  But I will note a correction regarding your reference to HA Live being the winning dealers in attendance to support your point---the person who is the winning bidder who bid in the auction room gets posted as "Floor bidder," not HA Live.   In terms of the other categories--the winning bidder who bid on the phone gets posted as "Phone bidder," the winning bidder who used the HA Live software gets posted as "HA.com/Live bidder" and the winning bidder who used the regular HA website/internet bidding (either on Saturday internet-only bidding or in the days prior to live bidding) gets posted as "Internet bidder."  I'm not sure what a bidder who faxed in his bids and wins gets posted as -- it may also be "HA.com/Live bidder" as the software may be deemed to bid for such person.

@Ironmandrd- thank you, you are correct  about how HA wins are labeled - I meant to say Floor Bidder.  I pay attention to the cadence of the bids as they are placed, not just who wins - after a few hundred of these it's clear to me that if you were to remove  5-6 people from the floor, the results are very different, as to who wins, number of bids placed, and ultimately what the final price is.  They keep the ball in play much longer than the real market, absent their participation would support.

John McCrea's (and later with inker Garry Leach) Hitman art! 

Great classic title that was every bit as good as its "big brother" Preacher but whose originals sell for far less at this time (excluding the cover to the first issue which seems to have been an aberration).    

Hi there! I am new to this forum so be gentle. I've been unloading a bunch of original artwork that I had in storage since the early 1990s and been selling them on EBAY. I've been very surprised at the prices I've been getting on some pages. Pages I only paid $10-$20 in the 1980s going for way more that I could ever imagine. Is the original comic art market becoming hot even for common pieces? I dunno. For example I just sold a SPIDERWOMAN #48 page 8 for over $1100. I was shocked. I also sold 5 pages from DREADSTAR #17 for $750 total. A NOT BRAND ECHH #11 pg 45 I sold for $865. And I still have about 20 pages left out of stack of 45 I had bought back in the 1990s. And these were not name artists (except for Jim Starlin). Right now I have a Rick Buckler page from DC Special #12 and it is already at $300. Crazy!

s-l1600.jpg

25 minutes ago, Dogsupreme said:

Hi there! I am new to this forum so be gentle. I've been unloading a bunch of original artwork that I had in storage since the early 1990s and been selling them on EBAY. I've been very surprised at the prices I've been getting on some pages. Pages I only paid $10-$20 in the 1980s going for way more that I could ever imagine. Is the original comic art market becoming hot even for common pieces? I dunno. For example I just sold a SPIDERWOMAN #48 page 8 for over $1100. I was shocked. I also sold 5 pages from DREADSTAR #17 for $750 total. A NOT BRAND ECHH #11 pg 45 I sold for $865. And I still have about 20 pages left out of stack of 45 I had bought back in the 1990s. And these were not name artists (except for Jim Starlin). Right now I have a Rick Buckler page from DC Special #12 and it is already at $300. Crazy!

s-l1600.jpg

The OA market is very healthy atm